Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW Passat issues

Options
  • 23-06-2008 3:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭

Hi All,

Yesterday I was driving my car, a diesel 19TDI, and it started to lose power.

It was as if the turbo would not kick in. also the engine light came on, and the brake pad light was telling me to get them checked(I don't think they are related, but telling ye just in case).

Today the engine light is off and the power seems to have returned.

Can anyone shed any ight on this.

Thanks in advance,

Slimbo

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

is it possible you sucked up some water yesterday??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Yes - the intercooler hose has blown itself loose. The clip holding it on has a bit of a rep for wearing out so have a look there, fairly handy to sort :)

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭yellow012

Could be the fuel pump, they are notorious for failing in the Passat. Anyways take it to your VW dealer as it still should be under warranty and if not then it still should be covered as its a known issue with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

Sizzler wrote: »
    Yes - the intercooler hose has blown itself loose. The clip holding it on has a bit of a rep for wearing out so have a look there, fairly handy to sort :)

if the hose was loose I don't think the engine light would come on and I don't think it would fix itself either

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Slimbo

Thanks all.

Yes I did take in some water on the day it happened, lots of puddles and a generally real wet day.

Someone thought it might be the oil filter that needs a change, any thoughts on that. Or maybe the air filters.

Thanks again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭Dirty_Diesel

Perhaps the paper element of the air filter got soaked and greatly reduced the air flow. When you got home and parked up then maybe the heat from the engine dried it out again???

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

ShayK1 wrote: »
    if the hose was loose I don't think the engine light would come on and I don't think it would fix itself either

Posted in good faith based on my own experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Slimbo

Thanks all,

I got the brakes done today and the lads in the garage said that they couldn't find anything else wrong with it.

It appears to have gone away and is now back to its oldself and driving very well.

I'm sure something did get wet now, and then dried off.

Thanks again.

Slimbo:)

Advertisement