Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Completely ripped off in petrol station in Dundalk.

Options
  • 23-06-2008 4:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭

Hey,

I was in a petrol station in Dundalk the other day buying a two litre bottle of coke. Went over to the fridge and there was none of the normal two litre bottles there at all. What they did have though was a 1.5 litre bottle with 33% extra free therefore amounting to 2 litres in total. Now it was clear to me straight away that the shop had bought in these bottles rather than the normal two litre bottles because they were obviously cheaper.

Went up to the till to pay for it, (bear in mind it was in effect a 1.5 litre bottle of coke with 33% EXTRA FREE.) I was charged 2.35 for the bottle. I could not believe it. I bought the coke because my other half wanted it but I was so sick handing over the money. Then yesterday I was in another shop in Dundalk and the same 1.5 litre bottle with 33% extra free was 1.70! I mean there was a difference of 65 cent between both shops!

So I get the feeling that the shop where I had bought the coke decided to buy in the cheaper 1.5 litre bottle and then sell it for the same price as they would charge for a normal two litre bottle. Are they allowed to do this???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

What does it say on your reciept?

My understanding is that shops can charge what they like, it goes into the whole "invitation to tender" part of the law which normally causes a massive argument anytime it gets a mention here. If you are convinced that they are selling the bottles as 2 ltr's then complain to the director of consumer affairs, if you aren't sure contact Coca Cola Irl.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Was there a price listed for the 2l or the 1.5l bottle in the petrol station? If so, you might be able to argue a case.

Otherwise, remember it's a petrol station and they're notorious for extortionate prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭heartofwhite

No there was no price displayed which in itself is wrong. In fairness though they must be selling the 1.5 litre bottle as a two litre. Who charges 2.35 for a litre and a half of coke! I dont have the receipt wish I did though. I was just so so mad when I saw the price. I have vowed to never buy from a petrol station again or at least asking the price first!

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Who charges 2.35 for a litre and a half of coke!

Chippers for one.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

www.nca.ie

They will investigate if you lodge a complaint, and have the power to levy on-the-spot fines for non-display of prices. There is also an obligation to display the unit pricing - ie how many cent per litre.

Ring them or fill in the form
    http://www.consumerconnect.ie/eng/Working_With_You/Submit_a_Consumer_Complaint/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

24h service stations will tend to charge more on everything to subsidize their extended opening hours. If you want cheap coke just hold off and get it elsewhere, i.e. Tesco, no excuse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

My local Gala store charges €2.30 for 1.5L & €2.85 for 2L which I consider about right for convienence stores.

Supermarkets are about €1.65 & €1.99 for same.

Suppose better value than 3 x 500mls at 1.50 each!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Who charges 2.35 for a litre and a half of coke! I dont have the receipt wish I did though.
    1 Litre bottle of coca-cola is 3 euro in Berlin Schönefeld airport. It is about 80c in large supermarkets like Kaufland here. I just don't buy it as a result.
    I have vowed to never buy from a petrol station again or at least asking the price first!
    Good idea. They were completely wrong not to display the price beforehand which is against the law.

Contact the NCA as MadsL said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

axer wrote: »
    1 Litre bottle of coca-cola is 3 euro in Berlin Schönefeld airport. It is about 80c in large supermarkets like Kaufland here. I just don't buy it as a result.

Thats the Airport ffs .. captive audience... everything at the airport is more expensive. However Dublin and Cork are some of the worst.

craichoe wrote: »
    Thats the Airport ffs .. captive audience... everything at the airport is more expensive. However Dublin and Cork are some of the worst.
    Its the same difference. People have a choice to purchase or not to purchase. Things are going to be more expensive in locations such as airports and petrol stations etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,793 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

NCA no longer investigate complaints regarding the display of prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

NCA no longer investigate complaints regarding the display of prices.

really? who does investigate it then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

axer wrote: »
    Its the same difference. People have a choice to purchase or not to purchase. Things are going to be more expensive in locations such as airports and petrol stations etc.

Not really, when you go to the Airport, your flying someplace, your hardly going to go back into town and risk missing a flight over 50 c on a bottle of coke. If your thirsty you need a drink, if your hungry you need food. CAPTIVE audience.

A SPAR on a street in dublin is a different matter, you can walk out and go to a different store if you want.

No one does. The NCA's policy is that they carry out postal surveys of shops to ask them if they are aware of the regulations. If you complain, they note it, and they may (or may not) survey the shop you are complaining about.

I queried this with NCA a few months ago and asked why they hadn't bothered to contact me about my complaint. This was the explanation they gave me after me haranguing them to give me an explanation.

If you ask me, this is completely bonkers. The Office of the Director of Consumer Affairs used to follow up on everything, certainly everything they got in writing. This was despite the fact that they had far more limited powers (no on-the-spot fines).

Antoin.

craichoe wrote: »
    Not really, when you go to the Airport, your flying someplace, your hardly going to go back into town and risk missing a flight over 50 c on a bottle of coke. If your thirsty you need a drink, if your hungry you need food. CAPTIVE audience.
    Likewise a petrol station when you are on the move or late at night which is what my point is.

You have less choice than you think, even in the city. A lot of the convenience stores are owned by groups.

Availability of something like bottled water is definitely a convenience, whereever you are, rather than an absolute necessity. As for food, you could bring a packed lunch or eat before you leave, although it takes a bit more planning.

The premiums to be located somewhere like an airport are very substantial.

Advertisement