Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stephen Roche Grand Prix

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I'm going to try to make it down for around 8pm to catch most/the end of it. I'll be the one with (most likely) a spare wheel strapped onto the back of my bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

I was going to say I was the hairy one hehe... chances are I will also wear sone kind of reflective vest.
    Tiny,
    I shuld make it on time at that 7PM meeting point, just in case i am late ... sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

Tiny,
    I shuld make it on time at that 7PM meeting point, just in case i am late ... sorry.

No problem, I'll wait for ya!

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭King Kelly

Ahhhhh....isn't that lovely!

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭smithslist

so how did everyone do?

• Advertisement

Just watching, not racing -was pretty good, though Roche went away about 5 from the end and no one could get anywhere near him

Nicolas Roche won pretty decisively. In parts I have to say it was looking really easy for him and he ended up with a significant lead- he didn't break too early, but he was close to the front from the start and when he did the gap just kept increasing. It was mighty fast stuff from my vantage point, they whipped around the course really quick. Was talking to one of the marshalls that I had cycled round most of the Orwell randonee with.

Here's an example of what I mean by him looking fairly handy (second in this image, was near the start):

th_roche.jpg

KenMc had an impressive looking camera which I'm sure will provide some better images- also met spectators Tiny, Caroline (nice bike) and Verb, who had the nicest Raleigh Max I have ever seen ;-)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

blorg wrote: »
    Here's an example of what I mean by him looking fairly handy (second in this image, was near the start):

Knee warmers? You can tell he lives in France.

I wonder what Nicolas will do with the 50quid Joe Daly's vouchers he got last night ... I imagine he used cycle to the same laps when he was 4 years old on a Sunday afternoon at his gran's with his tricycle :pac: that has to to an advantage that helped him win this race....

PT: 'So Nick, when during this race did you feel the most vulnerable?'

Nick Roche: ' Well Paul, Probably when I had that acid reflux at the end of the 19th lap, and I thought I should have taken these two Rennie my gran offered. But the team ( me and myself ) helped get back up to the top to win this wonderful race, a great accomplishment ...

Was great to meet everyone :) and to see the banana bike in real!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Any more pics? I was mostly moving wardrobes and ripping up carpets so couldn't make it out.

el tonto wrote: »
    Knee warmers? You can tell he lives in France.

And arm warmers that by that stage had been rolled down :)

And arm warmers that by that stage had been rolled down :)

Or maybe there were 'elbow warmers' ... I am sure the pros have that.

He looked good though, you can tell he's a pro ... I'd take him home to my mum... I'd probably have to drug him and kidnap him 1st though.

You remember the only woman racing with the guys last night? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rachel_Heal ... she was also probably just having a quiet spin last night.
    I knew I had seen her on Cycling weekly too!!!! http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/Pro_Bike_Rachel_Heals_Orbea_Orca_article_178578.html

You remember the only woman racing with the guys last night? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rachel_Heal ... she was also probably just having a quiet spin last night.

Looks like she wasn't well...
    ...I got back from Philadelphia just over a week ago, and promptly got ill as soon as I got back...
    I'm now pretty much recovered and looking forward to a couple of weeks of good training before the National RR Championships in Yorkshire the weekend after next.
    -posted on the 18th on her website

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

KenMc had an impressive looking camera which I'm sure will provide some better images- also met spectators Tiny, Caroline (nice bike) and Verb, who had the nicest Raleigh Max I have ever seen ;-)

Haha, how generous! Yup, nice to meet yee all and put faces to names as you said !

Looks like she wasn't well...
    I think I have a photo of her too, if she was the only woman (second again, note the pink Hudz); she's looking in less pain than most of the guys around her:

th_Rachel_Heal.jpg

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I think I have a photo of her too, if she was the only woman (second again, note the pink Hudz); she's looking in less pain than most of the guys around her

That's my mate Malcolm on her wheel.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 skim

she must be in the country 4 the week seen her racing in kildare at the paddy flanagan over the weekend

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭bunnygreen

I dared to take part last night,gave up after 10 laps,completely bollixed,the mental crash came as i was going around a corner flat out and Nicholas Roche passed me and HE WAS'NT PEDALLING.back to the club leagues for me i think and the anonymity of the bunch.

• Advertisement

bunnygreen wrote: »
    I dared to take part last night,gave up after 10 laps,completely bollixed,the mental crash came as i was going around a corner flat out and Nicholas Roche passed me and HE WAS'NT PEDALLING.back to the club leagues for me i think and the anonymity of the bunch.

You should have come over and said hello to us!

Yeah, Nicholas was making it look very easy... damn those talented pros!

bunnygreen wrote: »
    What kit/bike?

I could'nt talk for about half an hour afterwards for f***sake,the lovely green grass made a nice bed to lie down on.

Fair play for giving it a go, it looked absolutely lethal from where I was standing.

Aye well done! You weren't in blue shorts were you....

Verb wrote: »
    Aye well done! You weren't in blue shorts were you....
    The one with the dodgy knee? That looked so wrong....

The one with the dodgy knee? That looked so wrong....

hahaha I was trying to avoid saying that but yeah, I was wondering if it was him alright. It was a scary lookin knee. Kenmc described it best as like a seriously buckled wheel.

yes it looked pretty lethal from where i was lying,on the lovely soft grass.

Verb wrote: »
    hahaha I was trying to avoid saying that but yeah, I was wondering if it was him alright. It was a scary lookin knee. Kenmc described it best as like a seriously buckled wheel.

No, it wasn't him -that guy shouldn't be allowed cycle at all -made me queasy lookin at it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

i have some nice pics i'll post over the weekend, once I get a chance

Advertisement