Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling while Pregnant

Options
  • 23-06-2008 4:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭

I'm not sure if this is the right forum for this but I'd be interested in people's opinions or to hear from anyone who has cycled while pregnant or who knows anyone who has.

Myself and my partner are planning to start a family in the near future and I would like to continue cycling to work, for at least the first couple of months. My daily commute is Dundrum to City Centre. While in Amsterdam recently I saw lots of pregnant women cycling but I realise that their cycling infrastructure and people's attitudes to cyclists is so much better than here.

In all my 5 years of cycling I have never fallen off my bike and never take any risks but I'm wondering, in the greater scheme of things how risky this could be, being susceptible to the dangerous practices of some other road users. I appreciate that cycling while pregnant may mean I am exposing myself to a greater risk of injury etc. but on the other hand, I could easily trip and fall getting off the Luas or on the street while walking.

Any thoughts/opinions appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Vélo

I'd couldn't imagine it being a problem as long as you took it easy.

You would be much wiser to consult your Doctor on something as important as this though, all you get on this site is peoples opinions, which won't always be correct. Get professional advice!

You might get some info on the following site http://www.eumom.com/ie/welcome.asp

My wife's found this helpful over the last few years, she's pregnant with our 4th child now. HELP!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

I am not ready to have kids just yet, but as a woman it has crossed my mind ... I am not sure if the racer' position would be very corfortable, however there are many bikes that would be confortable enough. As for the dangers of the roads, if you are careful enough, I don't think you'd be in anymore danger than if you were to take the bus or the Luas.

But as Aquinas73 said, talk to your doc.

best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Vel

But as Aquinas73 said, talk to your doc.

best of luck!

Therein lies the problem!! I have spoken to two different doctors about this and received two varying pieces of advice. Both are doctors who I would see on and off over the years for general medical stuff. The first told me that she could see no problem with cycling for the first few months anyway, as long as I wasn't upping the amount of cycling I am all already doing and was keeping it to a level I am comfortable with. She did say that when/if I get pregnant my body may decide that there is no way in hell I am cycling! The other doctor similarly said that there is no reason why I should stop exercising while pregnant but in her opinion it would be too dangerous out there on our roads. So in essence both have said that exercise is ok but they have differing views on it, not from a medical point of view but from a safety one.

I guess I was just looking for people's personal experiences on this, as well as some opinions to help me decide what way to go. I am pretty happy that the actual exercise won't do me any harm, more the form it takes.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

From a completely non-medical point of view, e.g. the risk of your taking a fall, I do not think it is a particularly high risk activity as long as you are careful and are not racing/mountain biking/etc. (Having said that I would never cycle while pregnant myself :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

blorg wrote: »
    From a completely non-medical point of view, e.g. the risk of your taking a fall, I do not think it is a particularly high risk activity as long as you are careful and are not racing/mountain biking/etc. (Having said that I would never cycle while pregnant myself :D)
    Indeed, if you take easy, there's no more chance of coming off/hitting something than there is of tripping up in the street or being hit while crossing the road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,976 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I know a lot of women run while pregnant, and I imagine cycling sends far less shock through your body so from an exercise point of view, it's probably fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Just thinking on the way home as I cycled past a few people with child seats- from a safety point of view if you are happy to cycle with a young child on the bike, I can't imagine the risks are any greater while pregnant (indeed one would suspect they would be lower.)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

I was talking to a former colleague of mine at christmas. She was fairly heavily pregnant, a large enough bump, no idea how long. She said that she found cycling brilliant for getting around. It took the weight off her feet and she said that the feeling of having control of herself again was fantastic.

Obviously if you get to a point where cycling becomes awkward or unwieldy, you've probably passed the point where the advantage outweighs the risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭Dun laoire

Vel wrote: »
    Therein lies the problem!! I have spoken to two different doctors about this and received two varying pieces of advice. Both are doctors who I would see on and off over the years for general medical stuff. The first told me that she could see no problem with cycling for the first few months anyway, as long as I wasn't upping the amount of cycling I am all already doing and was keeping it to a level I am comfortable with. She did say that when/if I get pregnant my body may decide that there is no way in hell I am cycling! The other doctor similarly said that there is no reason why I should stop exercising while pregnant but in her opinion it would be too dangerous out there on our roads. So in essence both have said that exercise is ok but they have differing views on it, not from a medical point of view but from a safety one.

I guess I was just looking for people's personal experiences on this, as well as some opinions to help me decide what way to go. I am pretty happy that the actual exercise won't do me any harm, more the form it takes.

Vel i'd be the first to admit i'm not the brightest spark in the toolbox but what makes it any more dangerous on the roads?? I unterstand you are now carrying a baby so you have to be that bit more alert to whats going on around you but if you go out with those negative taughts with the "what ifs" sure there'd be no point ever getting on your bike. If your docs say it's o.k but take it easy well then go for it. If it feels uncomfortable well then maybe it's time to lock it up until after the baby is born.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭unionman

Read your post yesterday Vel and then met a friend on the way home who is 5 months pregnant and cycling in and out of town every day (from Kilmainham). Says its no problem, and much of the advantages as outlined by Verbs colleague. She was riding a very comfy hybrid, which seemed to make a lot of sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

A friend just gave up cycling a couple of weeks ago. She was about 8 months gone at that stage. She has a very upright bike (think of an old butchers boy delivery bike).

Check with the gynecologist for expert advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Vel

Great, thanks everyone. Thii has made me feel a lot better about the whole issue and I have decided to continue cycling as much as I can, if/when I become pregnant.

Now, being a complete bike numpty, what kind of bike do you think would be the best for a pregnant woman in terms of comfort? Links to bikes appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

Vel wrote: »

Now, being a complete bike numpty, what kind of bike do you think would be the best for a pregnant woman in terms of comfort? Links to bikes appreciated.

Mmmm I'd get something like that in Lighter

28315.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭unionman

Something like this. Good upright position, light, sturdy, practical. My expectant friend has something similar.

Giant Expression Dx Womens

Advertisement