Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

A Honda Civic or A Renault Megane?

Options
  • 23-06-2008 4:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭

I am looking for some advice! I want to buy a new car and am wondering if people would recommend a Renault Megane or a Honda Civic.
    Am looking for a 1.4 saloon. Around 2004, around 35,000 miles or less. One previous owner ideally and have a budget of around 9,000 euro.
    Which is a better car and why?
    If anyone knows of any good deals on either please knock me on a PM.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Tomthepost wrote: »
    I am looking for some advice! I want to buy a new car and am wondering if people would recommend a Renault Megane or a Honda Civic.
    Am looking for a 1.4 saloon. Around 2004, around 35,000 miles or less. One previous owner ideally and have a budget of around 9,000 euro.

The Renault does not even come close to the Bullet Proof Jap Civic. Civic is a super car mate and it would be my choice but you will really find it hard to get one for 9000 euro and 2004.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Little Miss!

Hey,

I agree, honda's are way more reliable, i drive a civic and had one before this one too, great cars. I can honestly say they never let me down.

I also used to work for Renault so i'm very familiar with them and definitely wouldn't recommend buying one, a lot of trouble, ask any mechanic.

I wouldn't even consider buying a renault, and i strongly suggest you go for the honda, just my opinion ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Tomthepost

logik wrote: »
    The Renault does not even come close to the Bullet Proof Jap Civic. Civic is a super car mate and it would be my choice but you will really find it hard to get one for 9000 euro and 2004.

What would be a decent price would you say?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭tw0nk

Hasnt the "bulletproof" reliability gone now since the new model? In the evening herald the other day they published the results of the best and worst car reliability scores and while honda came out on top overall, the new civic was the worst overall or at least near very bottom.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

Honda Civic all the way

that car will go until the end of time! (like all Honda products!)

9k though... i dont think you'll find an 04 one at that price between 10 and 12 is what they are going for on carzone

although the way the markets is you might be able to get one for 9 :)

my advice is when buying a car: if your offer doesn't disgust the seller then you've offered to much! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

tw0nk wrote: »
    Hasnt the "bulletproof" reliability gone now since the new model? In the evening herald the other day they published the results of the best and worst car reliability scores and while honda came out on top overall, the new civic was the worst overall or at least near very bottom.

That is not true and its the Evening Herald.

Honda are one of the most reliable cars on the road mate. The new Civic won car of its class when it was released. Anyway we are talking about the 01-06 model. For a 04 with the mileage you want, you are looking at about 10.5 - 11.5k euro.

I am driving Honda's for ages and i currently am driving a 04 Type R of their range and they are amazing cars.

Tbh nearly all Jap cars are the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

The current Civic had some teething problems alright when it was launched, and some of the early cars were right lemons but they seem to have ironed everything out and fixd anything that needed fixing with recalls. I have mine a year now and the only out-of-the-ordinary expense I have had with it so far is a puncture repair -- as you would expect with a new car.

Anyways, the OP is looking at the previous model which really does have a bulletproof reputation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

I'd find that, like most other things in the herald, hard to believe. I know a few people with them and have yet to hear of a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭tw0nk

logik wrote: »
    That is not true and its the Evening Herald.

Honda are one of the most reliable cars on the road mate. The new Civic won car of its class when it was released. Anyway we are talking about the 01-06 model. For a 04 with the mileage you want, you are looking at about 10.5 - 11.5k euro.

I am driving Honda's for ages and i currently am driving a 04 Type R of their range and they are amazing cars.

Tbh nearly all Jap cars are the same.

Excuse me Logik but it is true, the new model came last or if not last very near the bottom. I hate when people just comment on your post with a "thats not true" when I didnt just make it up or something, ok Il stop ranting now, sorry.

Source: http://www.herald.ie/national-news/japanese-cars-streets-ahead-for-reliability-1415108.html

Original source: http://www.which.co.uk/reports_and_campaigns/cars/reports/running_a_car/Which_car_reliability_survey_news_article_557_117187.jsp

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭GERMAN ROCKS

well its the renault for me anyway

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

That is a year old, when the 07 model was new and having teething trouble.

OP is talking about the older model.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

JHMEG wrote: »

Shamelss plugging?. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

Stephen wrote: »
    The current Civic had some teething problems alright when it was launched, and some of the early cars were right lemons but they seem to have ironed everything out and fixd anything that needed fixing with recalls. I have mine a year now and the only out-of-the-ordinary expense I have had with it so far is a puncture repair -- as you would expect with a new car.

Anyways, the OP is looking at the previous model which really does have a bulletproof reputation.
    Thats true. The new model hatchback had a few issues like the fuel cap being difficult to open and a handbrake problem but all of those issues were fixed under recall and the issues were with 2006 models. In fairness, the issues were only minor irritations.

Whereas Renault on the other hand..............:eek::eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

No contest. The Honda, because it will be reliable. Honda reliability is something taken for granted really, something that can't be said about the Mégane, especially the type of Mégane you're looking at, which is particularly bad for durability.

Though I would strongly advise the OP to look at the current shape Astra and either variant of the Focus. The best cars out there in that size if you ask me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

I would pick the Civic 100 times out of a 100!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Bear in mind as you look at this, that even if you need to go slightly above your budget to get the Honda, it'll get paid back many times when you try and sell it.

Whenever a Laguna or Megane drives into our garage, you'll see the salespeople hiding under their desks until it's gone....

The Civic will be cheaper from a whole-life costs perspective, more reliable, better image, more pleasant to own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭daveywavey08

The Megane is a terrible car and not even in the same league as the Civic. I wouldn't dream of taking one as a trade-in for love nor money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

AudiChris wrote: »
    Bear in mind as you look at this, that even if you need to go slightly above your budget to get the Honda, it'll get paid back many times when you try and sell it.

The Civic will be cheaper from a whole-life costs perspective, more reliable, better image, more pleasant to own.

Totally agree :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 LoopyBum

No contest... go get the Honda....

The only money you'll spend in relation to a Honda is...

General Service
    Petrol
    Tyres
    Tax
    Insurance
    NCT

That's it. Mine's over 200k and doesn't use a drop of oil and can be left for weeks at the airport and will start first time. :D:D:D

No garage will refuse a clean Honda as a trade in...

Like Cadbury's Chocolate Fingers - One May Lead To Another.... lol ;)

• Advertisement

Jesus thanks a million for all the input it is much appreciated. What ye make of automatics???

The Civic Hybrids look quite tasty

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

LoopyBum wrote: »
    No contest... go get the Honda....

The only money you'll spend in relation to a Honda is...

General Service
    Petrol
    Tyres
    Tax
    Insurance
    NCT

That's it. Mine's over 200k and doesn't use a drop of oil and can be left for weeks at the airport and will start first time. :D:D:D

No garage will refuse a clean Honda as a trade in...

Like Cadbury's Chocolate Fingers - One May Lead To Another.... lol ;)

None of my Renaults have cost me any more than the above list, which is why I keep buying them and have as have 3 members of my immediate family.

Only 2 cars that have ever let me down were Accords funnily enough (one was rebadged as a Rover ). They both died (to death:))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Jesus thanks a million for all the input it is much appreciated. What ye make of automatics???
    At that level stay away. They're pretty much sale proof at this end of the food chain, as well as being as advanced as the manual choke too. They often have only 4 gears, are much more expensive to run and nowhere near as fast if official figures are anything to go by. Big cars often have 5 or more often 6 or maybe even 7 gears, and the official figures show that they are hardly any slower or less economical either more often than not. So the technology on big cars is considerably more advanced than on small cars. Hence on big cars they are a must for good resale value.

As AudiChris noted, you'll have some fun trying to trade in a Mégane(or most Renaults). You'll get much more for a Civic when you want to trade it in.

You should really have a good look at the Focus and Astra(new shape) too.

E92 wrote: »
    At that level stay away. They're pretty much sale proof at this end of the food chain, as well as being as advanced as the manual choke too. They often have only 4 gears, are much more expensive to run and nowhere near as fast if official figures are anything to go by. Big cars often have 5 or more often 6 or maybe even 7 gears, and the official figures show that they are hardly any slower or less economical either more often than not. So the technology on big cars is considerably more advanced than on small cars. Hence on big cars they are a must for good resale value.

As AudiChris noted, you'll have some fun trying to trade in a Mégane(or most Renaults). You'll get much more for a Civic when you want to trade it in.

You should really have a good look at the Focus and Astra(new shape) too.

Not trading against anything only a 96 Opel Corsa which in fairness has never given me any bother:D
    Which brings me to the Astra yes that don't look bad. A better option then the Civic? Dont really like the focus much for some reason

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

But you'll have to dispose of the Megane/Civic/Astra at some point, and it's at that stage that you may regret buying the Megane...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Stekelly wrote: »
    None of my Renaults have cost me any more than the above list, which is why I keep buying them and have as have 3 members of my immediate family.

Only 2 cars that have ever let me down were Accords funnily enough (one was rebadged as a Rover ). They both died (to death:))

If you're talking about the Rover 600 then it was a Rover that let you down. Just because it had an Accord engine doesn't mean it was an Accord. Honda didn't actually assemble them. Audi, Seat, Skoda and VW all have different levels of reliability. Saying an Audi failed on me so Skoda's are crap is the same as saying a Rover failed on me so Honda's are crap. It's just not correct!

The Civic Hybrids look quite tasty
    In the context of the new Hybrid, the gearbox is a CVT. It's a gearless automatic. The older hybrid (the IMA) wasn't available with an automatic box of any description on this side of the planet.

The other models have conventional auto boxes. Not a great demand for them, so fsck all about.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

I have to give my vote to the civic too, i bought mine brand new in 2004 and she hasnt even hicuped on me since, It got nearly 50k on it now. The only problem ive ever had with it actually was a rattle on the front left wheel which turned out to be caused by spurious break pads that wernt as good a fit as they should have been so it was back to honda and get proper ones on there.,:).,

Over the years ive had a lot of honda's too and anyone who knows what their talking about would point you towards them over almost all other cars for reliability and durability.,.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Civic wins this, with a degree of ease.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Out of those 2 the Civic wins hands down. But if it were me, I'd still be going for a Focus.

Advertisement