Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

A Honda Civic or A Renault Megane?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Biro wrote: »
    If you're talking about the Rover 600 then it was a Rover that let you down. Just because it had an Accord engine doesn't mean it was an Accord. Honda didn't actually assemble them. Audi, Seat, Skoda and VW all have different levels of reliability. Saying an Audi failed on me so Skoda's are crap is the same as saying a Rover failed on me so Honda's are crap. It's just not correct!

Everyithing in the car was Honda bar the Bonnet and bootlid. Every part was stamped honda and matched with the parts on my Accord (I had enough parts off both)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Stekelly wrote: »
    Everyithing in the car was Honda bar the Bonnet and bootlid. Every part was stamped honda and matched with the parts on my Accord (I had enough parts off both)
    It wasn't assembled by Honda, and that was the crucial difference.

Honda originally built a factory in the UK to "fix" the Civics that were being built for them by Rover.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Unluckiest Honda buyer ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

Looks like you are massively outnumbered recommending a Renault over a Honda. If it's your own experience then fair enough and fair dues for sticking up for your own belief but there seems to be an overwhelming number of people who recommend the Honda over the Renault.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Looks like you are massively outnumbered recommending a Renault over a Honda. If it's your own experience then fair enough and fair dues for sticking up for your own belief but there seems to be an overwhelming number of people who recommend the Honda over the Renault.

I never recommended either , I merely shared my ownership experiences of both. :)

Personally I buy the cars I like regardless of the consensus regarding reliability and depreciation. At the end of the day the Megane suffers about 10% more faults than the Civic (82% compared to 92% ish in the above link iirc) yet appaerenltly every Megane is currently in a garage and a Civic has never seen one.

People are generally anti Renault(some are anti everythign that isnt Japanese) but the warranty facts are published and they are generally not a huge amount off the likes of Ford and some of the Vag cars, yet these are held up as the next best things to Japs while Renault are supposedly the worst cars ever made (funnily enough this is despite not comign bottom of polls or hard fact warranty issue tables). MEh each to their own.

Hopefully around 8 O'clock tomorow night I can start planning my trip to a Citroen garage to order a C6. If nothing else at least I can give the French bashers another outing :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

C6 - now that's a French car I would be proud to drive :) Good luck with it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

At the end of the day the Megane suffers about 10% more faults than the Civic (82% compared to 92% ish in the above link iirc)
    There's quite a gulf between them arrording to warranty claims that have been made.

For example, no '01- Civic has never had a claim for engine, gearbox or cooling system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

I find the Megane pretty nice, but then again I have almost nothing to compare it to. Haven't had any reliability issues with it at all other than a small wire by the clutch coming lose and just needing to be put back in place. You'll probably get a hell of a lot more extras like aircon etc for much cheaper as well. That said, if I could afford a few grand more I'd probably prefer the Civic, but from what people are saying here the civic will cost you nearly twice as much!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

hmmm

a hard one to call

the megane is a great car, good build quality ( surprisingly better then the honda.... )

but the honda would be more kiddie'ish.... more of a " look at me , i have no taste/sense so i bought one of these " but dont get me wrong... hondas are ok... but i wouldnt brag about owning one.... mainly when there people around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 LoopyBum

S.I.R wrote: »

the megane is a great car, good build quality ( surprisingly better then the honda.... )

OMG OMG OMG

Surprise it is!!! Yeah the Renaults are probably more comfortable, but you need comfort while waiting to be towed to your nearest garage... har de har... :p

Sorry, but really! My 2nd car was a Renault, so I'm not anti stinky french things and they are easy on the eye, lots of zany gadgets and very comfy, but like I said, Hondas are like Cadbury's Chocolate Fingers, 'One may lead to another...' ;) - because they are a bloody good car!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭dubman25

LoopyBum wrote: »
    OMG OMG OMG

Surprise it is!!! Yeah the Renaults are probably more comfortable, but you need comfort while waiting to be towed to your nearest garage... har de har... :p

Sorry, but really! My 2nd car was a Renault, so I'm not anti stinky french things and they are easy on the eye, lots of zany gadgets and very comfy, but like I said, Hondas are like Cadbury's Chocolate Fingers, 'One may lead to another...' ;) - because they are a bloody good car!

neither!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

Another vote for the Civic from a Civic driver :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 LoopyBum

dubman25 wrote: »
    neither!!!

:confused:

.. which bit?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

hmmm

a hard one to call

but the honda would be more kiddie'ish.... more of a " look at me , i have no taste/sense so i bought one of these " but dont get me wrong... hondas are ok... but i wouldnt brag about owning one.... mainly when there people around.

great build quality my a*se! :eek:

I dont work in the motor trade anymore but when i was, id work on all sorts of cars and the megane wouldnt be anywhere near the top of my list for "quality"..,

Also, whe it comes to all those figures from warrentys etc, most cars dont break during the few warrenty years, wait till it has 5,6,7 years of use on it and see how well its holding up. ive seen 18 year old honda engines run like the day they were built, that from renault? i dont think so.,.

Id take the civic hands down but if your looking for other options maybe look into the corrola, astra etc.,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

LoopyBum wrote: »
    OMG OMG OMG

When fixing a honda, the majority of parts its a case of.... remove 1 bolt, you have 3 parts loose or will fall off...

as for meganes = apart from poor owners in general there a Great car, sure they mightent withstand the daily abuse hondas get for being too slow ( clutch kicking... akak " VTEX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! " ) but the megane is a nice ride, handles with a small bit of understeer but you can live with that...

you can park them anywhere and there not out of place. The kind of car that you can be proud of owning and not have your friends/parents wondering what movie you watch to imspire this purchase....

as for vtec: same can be said for Any car.... i personally know a mate who had a 1.5 dual carb SOHC shuttle which had near 400k km on it, tools in the booth never used.... until he actually drove it propperly ( 100+ miles per day ) which at that stage.... litterally everything fell off... i mean it, fitting a new exhaust, the bonnet fell off, fitting new front brakes, the drivers door fell off, when i finished its service, the eletrics decived to die.

then i have fond memorys of the eg6 civic which decided to just not work.... i mean we replaced everything, done everything in our power and it just killed itself...

then theres the ek9 which wouldnt allow brakes to work.... most likely trying to kill itself...

My frenchie storys :

megans only need new timing belts, track rod ends and the usual service at said intervals but apart from that like the clio i had, 250k miles on a engine without a re-build needed isnt an issue.... more then par for my sunny or other japs ive had...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

When fixing a honda, the majority of parts its a case of.... remove 1 bolt, you have 3 parts loose or will fall off...

as for meganes = apart from poor owners in general there a Great car, sure they mightent withstand the daily abuse hondas get for being too slow ( clutch kicking... akak " VTEX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! " ) but the megane is a nice ride, handles with a small bit of understeer but you can live with that...

you can park them anywhere and there not out of place. The kind of car that you can be proud of owning and not have your friends/parents wondering what movie you watch to imspire this purchase....

as for vtec: same can be said for Any car.... i personally know a mate who had a 1.5 dual carb SOHC shuttle which had near 400k km on it, tools in the booth never used.... until he actually drove it propperly ( 100+ miles per day ) which at that stage.... litterally everything fell off... i mean it, fitting a new exhaust, the bonnet fell off, fitting new front brakes, the drivers door fell off, when i finished its service, the eletrics decived to die.

then i have fond memorys of the eg6 civic which decided to just not work.... i mean we replaced everything, done everything in our power and it just killed itself...

then theres the ek9 which wouldnt allow brakes to work.... most likely trying to kill itself...

My frenchie storys :

megans only need new timing belts, track rod ends and the usual service at said intervals but apart from that like the clio i had, 250k miles on a engine without a re-build needed isnt an issue.... more then par for my sunny or other japs ive had...
    No offence but your post looks like a pile of junk.

In particular the bit about the Shuttle that "everything" fell off! Must have been a circus clowns car before your mate bought it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

Note : If I ever get a Civic do not let S.I.R touch it.

My parents are staunch Renault supporters. Well less so these days.
    The 19s weren't too bad, I had a 5 that was pretty good too.
    However they have had troubles with the last two which were Meganes.
    The previous one had alternator and other electrical problems including the alternator falling out.
    The current one has also had battery charging problems, headlights filling with water and the seal around the windscreen comming off.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

"S.i.r" Is a serial Honda/Japanese car hater, take ANYTHING he says about Honda's etc with a large bucket of salt! :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

My frenchie storys :

Yeah i have to agree with the lads here, your post is complete cr*p to be honest, and is blatant anti "Honda'ism".
    How exactly a door and bonnet fell off without you noticing any decay or damage before hand is beyond me and you say this car had nearly half a million miles on it, are you expecting it to go forever? its likely to be in or around the early 90s and to have that much milage on it, you dont concider that "driving it properly"?

and the EG and Ek, your pretty vague and dont say what exactly went wrong? are you sure the persistant problem wasnt caused by the person who was fiddling with it? Ive seen it all to often when people mess with things and then when they mess it up they'd bring it to me, only the problem is even more complicated since they had been fiddling with it.,.

Advertisement