Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help! 8 weeks in and hanging on by a thread

Options
  • 23-06-2008 4:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi All,

I'm just over 8 weeks off the cigs. I'm really struggling at the moment, having very negative thoughts, and I'm barely hanging on. I know I've done the hard bit but how can I remotivate myself? I wanted to quit for so long, and now I have, those reasons seem less important.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭govinda

Hi siobh00

First off, well done on 8 weeks :-)

What were those reasons that made you give up?

It is true that the urgency of those reasons to quit fades with time but if you're experiencing more than a sudden, isolated pang after 8 weeks (assuming that you haven't taken any nicotine in any form) then it may be that you are feeling "deprived" of something the cigarette gave you - relief from stress, boredom, or a way to mark off time. Can you figure out what that is and how you might compensate for it?

For me, smoking was stress relief and a way to punctuate the day (every activity ended with a cigarette)....I practiced deep breathing for stress and drank lots of tea and water to punctuate the day instead. It does get easier and its so worthwhile, believe me!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,264 ✭✭✭Archeron

Ditto above, congratulations on 8 weeks. You're a non smoker ;)

If you're anything like me, the last 8 weeks have been very hard, but the good news is that the hardest part is over. Your body is clear of nicotine and is starting to repair itself of all that damage thats been done when you smoked.
    I am sure you know the sense of pride you feel when you realise that you have actually managed to stop for so long. Having managed 8 weeks, you can manage forever, and that sense of pride will get greater.

I really hope you dont go back to them, as if you do, you will be back in the very same place you were in 9 weeks ago, still with all those very good reasons to stop. This past 8 weeks will stand to nothing, and will have only turned out to be pointless torture.

Stay strong, breath deep (if your cough hasnt passed yet, it wll soon:) ), take a nice smell of some flowers or fresh cut grass. Have some of your favourite food and try to notice how your senses have improved and how this can add so much to normal life, for example when eating or out walking. I smoked for 14 years and never realised how important smelling food was to enjoying it more.

There are no reasons to start smoking again other than a difficult time which WILL pass. There are dozens of reasons to stay well away from them and continue feeling proud that you are a non smoker.

Best of luck with it!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭the_follwer

even just coming in this section is giving me slight cravings...

congratulations on not smoking!
    ive only given up i think 4 weeks or maybe more it feels like such a huge time ago but im hanging on...by the thread. my weight has gone up 2lbs since so going to the gym 2moro...........................................................ah well you lose some you gain something else!!!lol:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭the GALL

hey sobh00
    how you doing ?
    you still off them?:)

Advertisement