Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Penneys/Primark investigated on BBC1 tonight.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

LolaDub wrote: »
    Yes i have and i've lived in a very similiar country.

You must have had blinkers on while you were in India, or did you only visit touristy areas like Mumbai and Goa?

These kids have it good. India is a country where the practice of murdering newborn boys is pretty common amongst the poorest of people because they won't be able to make any money from a dowry that they'd get when a daughter gets married.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

luckat wrote: »
    I thought all the Irish jobs were going to India *because of the high level of education there*? Surely that doesn't mean that children are routinely deprived of education so they can clothe the suarach Irish?

Jobs are being outsourced to India because its alot cheaper .. super cheap .. like .. 50% cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭bittihuduga

luckat wrote: »
    I thought all the Irish jobs were going to India *because of the high level of education there*? Surely that doesn't mean that children are routinely deprived of education so they can clothe the suarach Irish?

Irish jobs are going to India because - high level education - you can find huge number of skilled IT engineers for a 70% rate (because cost of living is cheap and not cheap cost of living)

ofcourse with such a huge population we can find poor people. which country in the world has no poor people?
    we have it here too. govt pays for their living in some extent here
    but govt does not have money to pay all the poor people in India because of huge numbers. we can feed one or two but not all.

it is better that poor people don't get into illegal activities or killing which happens with poor people in other developed countries

atlast my point is - stop using pennys

craichoe wrote: »
    Jobs are being outsourced to India because its alot cheaper .. super cheap .. like .. 50% cheaper.

this statement is not correct always - I know some IT guys who came from India for a few months (onsite) to implement a project in a s/w firm in dublin who are getting paid more than a local guy sitting besides him doing the same work

don't know what to say :eek:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I remember watching documentaries on the use of child labour by Nike and Levis while at college, think of their mark ups compared to Pennys..
    It isn't right at all, but I also think avoiding items made in this away is also near impossible unless you manage to only by things made in Europe.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

this statement is not correct always - I know some IT guys who came from India for a few months (onsite) to implement a project in a s/w firm in dublin who are getting paid more than a local guy sitting besides him doing the same work

don't know what to say :eek:

Thats not outsourcing.

Thats just a bunch of guys coming to a country to work.

Outsourcing is getting resources from an outsourcing company such as Wiipro (one of the biggest) .. they have resources of around 200,000 people and will allocate per project. The cost per head is around 50% of what it is for a Western European employee.

Theres an indian guy sitting two seats away from me right now getting paid the same wages i do but hes not outsourced, he's just a guy that came here after applying for a job directly.

craichoe wrote: »
    Thats not outsourcing.

Thats just a bunch of guys coming to a country to work.

no i am not talking about the guys employed in ireland
    the guys i am talking were employees of a big MNC in India and were paid by the Indian firm in Euros for few months for some implementation in a local bank here.

the guys were paid salary more than local average.
    this means the local firm here paid huge money to a Indian firm to develop a software.
    i'm sure the Indian firm did not pay from its pocket.

this means - they paid more money and got their work done in India
    I don't call this as cheap labor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Moonbeam wrote: »
    It isn't right at all, but I also think avoiding items made in this away is also near impossible unless you manage to only by things made in Europe.

I think you can find out quite easily what's made in a straightforward way with ordinary profits, and what's made using child refugees to satisfy an obscene greed for profit.

This is the beauty of the internet.

We can, of course, say "I didn't know", but as long as that means "I didn't bother to find out", we have the blood of child labourers on our hands.

Google "list of firms using child labour" and a few variations, and you'll soon come up with answers.

We don't have to start making a big list of what we won't buy, but as soon as it becomes obvious that a particular garment or food or other product is produced in an unjust way, it's not hard to steer away from that product.

This site looks interesting, by the way: http://www.stopchildlabor.org/

Advertisement