Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free Website linked to dot com address

Options
  • 23-06-2008 5:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭

I'm designing a website on the cheap for a friend's business, was just wondering is it possible to have a hisbusinessname.com address (I know i'll have to pay for this) and host the website on a site such as freewebs.tk?

Also what is the best free hosting site?

And what is the best site for getting the .com domain name

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

I can't really answer that specific question, but usually if you get hosting for free, you'll have to place some sort of advertising on the site itself in return for the free hosting..

Off the top of my head, i can't recall having ever seen a site that allows you to do what you want to do without any from of ads.

Anyway, for domains, i use name.com. $6 for a .com and a simple but all you need control panel.

For hosting, (with a big reputable host) the cheapest would be about $8/month on a short term contract 6-12 months, you may get a discount for staying longer, but expect to pay roughly $100+ for a year.

A lot of hosts also offer a free domain with hosting too.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

You should try and convince him to just pay. It's not that expensive in the grand scale of things and if he wants to make a good impression on customers, a site with ads and annoying pop ups wont help at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Pikasso

cormie wrote: »
    You should try and convince him to just pay. It's not that expensive in the grand scale of things and if he wants to make a good impression on customers, a site with ads and annoying pop ups wont help at all.

+1
    A business can't afford to have a shop window like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭heggie

can he really not afford 3 euro per month for his business?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

heggie wrote: »
    can he really not afford 3 euro per month for his business?
    Yes I agree

Where can you get it for three euro a month?

• Advertisement

So if I design a site using Frontpage (this is what we were thought back when I was in school), can I use a site such as this http://www.webhostingpad.com/ to host it?

Are there any better alternatives to Frontpage? Would I be better with Dreamweaver etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭heggie

blacknight.ie for 2.92 / month

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭odie2020

I agree you cant on your business web site as for hosting i use www.bluehost.com and pay the euro equivalent of 4.50 per month (your first domain name is included) and you can host an unlimited number of domains on it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭DJ_Spider

I pay €15 per year for a .net domain and hosting. I know it's not .com but you can always use a forwarding service.

Ok so I'll use one of those to host it, now for the design, any suggestions?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

As far as I know awardspace and freehostia have free no ads packages, but that former is slow at executing PHP and the latter has a lot of downtime.

Sorry for posting hosting providers, its just what I know. I actually dont use any of these.

turgon wrote: »
    As far as I know awardspace and freehostia have free no ads packages, but that former is slow at executing PHP and the latter has a lot of downtime.

Sorry for posting hosting providers, its just what I know. I actually dont use any of these.
    Think i'm going to go with Blacknight for the hosting, its cheaper than I thought and I'd prefer to support an Irish company

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Choose Irish based hosting for an Irish business, better for Google results etc.

I'm with Blacknight for poker.ie and VanTasks, never a problem :)

Thanks for the help lads, haven't even considered website design since I was back at school.

So if I design a website in a Windows based program can I just upload it to Blacknight FTP if I'm on their 2.92 a month service?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭CoNfOuNd

Yes - you can use any FTP program to upload the files or the FTP facility built into Dreamweaver or another design program..

• Registered Users Posts: 15 jabroni Pkp

theres a good ftp module for firefox too called fireftp which you use

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

If you have questions about a specific host, contact the host in question.

The rest of you, for the love of God what part of No Hosting Discussion are the regulars failing to understand after this amount of time?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement