Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Recommend me a car for €8-15k

Options
  • 23-06-2008 5:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭

Hey all - sorry for yet another of these threads but I thought Id try and pick the collective brains of the board.

I need to buy my first car in the next few months. Im 27 but I have been driving for quite a while. I live in the city so havent needed a car on a day to day basis, but Ive always been able to borrow a family member's car when needed. As Im moving to the burbs, I'll need my own from now on.

As I dont have a car to trade and I should have the savings to pay in cash, I feel I should be in a position to get a good deal. I'd be willing to import from England if necessary.

I also would be buying used rather than new.

Normally, Id rank efficiency and driveability as the most important factors. At my age though, I also realise that I may not have that long left before I have to start moving into MPV territory, so I'm sorely tempted to buy my cool mid-life crisis car now when I wont look too ridiculous in it.

So priorities? Probably as follows
    1. Driveability.
    2. Looks.
    3. Mpgs.

I'd love an Alfa GT but its a little out of my price range. Ive aslo looked at the Mazda MX-5 and RX-8, but their fuel consumption isnt ideal. Someone's even suggested a Smart Roadset or Coupe as a left-field option, but Ive heard they're a little underpowered.

Are there any other options I should be considering?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭GG66

I just imported a 02 Peugeot 406 SE coupe from the UK. 53k miles, practical, luxury car, looks great and getting 45mpg from a 2.2 diesel engine.

Cost me 9500 including full AA check, import costs, VRT etc. although you should expect to pay a lot more here and about 10.5 in the UK for the same.

It's not quite a midlife crisis car but it's an excellent cruiser and fits two full size people in the back. If you have kids you can easily fit two chairs in the rear.

Great users forum at http://www.peugeot406coupe.com/phpBB2/

Really is great to drive and not too punishing on insurance either. Seems to tick all your boxes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭groupb

Johnee wrote: »
    Hey all - sorry for yet another of these threads but I thought Id try and pick the collective brains of the board.

I need to buy my first car in the next few months. Im 27 but I have been driving for quite a while. I live in the city so havent needed a car on a day to day basis, but Ive always been able to borrow a family member's car when needed. As Im moving to the burbs, I'll need my own from now on.

As I dont have a car to trade and I should have the savings to pay in cash, I feel I should be in a position to get a good deal. I'd be willing to import from England if necessary.

I also would be buying used rather than new.

Normally, Id rank efficiency and driveability as the most important factors. At my age though, I also realise that I may not have that long left before I have to start moving into MPV territory, so I'm sorely tempted to buy my cool mid-life crisis car now when I wont look too ridiculous in it.

So priorities? Probably as follows
    1. Driveability.
    2. Looks.
    3. Mpgs.

I'd love an Alfa GT but its a little out of my price range. Ive aslo looked at the Mazda MX-5 and RX-8, but their fuel consumption isnt ideal. Someone's even suggested a Smart Roadset or Coupe as a left-field option, but Ive heard they're a little underpowered.

Are there any other options I should be considering?

Thanks.

An mx5 is hardly heavy on juice. Mine gets at least 35mpg around town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

MX5 aren't heavy on fuel. They'll be as good as any similar sized petrol, or better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭pyramuid man

Have you thought about a hyundai coupe.
    You should be able to get a very nice one and they are pretty economical.
    The 1.6 is alright and is nippy enough and you get alot of car for your money.

Advertisement