Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To settle a bet about Croagh Patrick.....

Options
  • 23-06-2008 6:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭

Is there a back road up to the top which vehicles can use? I think there must be to haul all the stuff up in July but my mate says the only route up is the hard walking one.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭irishgeo

ollaetta wrote: »
    Is there a back road up to the top which vehicles can use? I think there must be to haul all the stuff up in July but my mate says the only route up is the hard walking one.

nope no road that vehicles can use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Ass & cart only.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 killerqueen

Nope the hard struggle up on foot from the main road is the only way
    stuff is taken up in back packs etc I guess

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭fdevine

I have climbed the reek on many occasions and IIRC there is a track of some description up the back of the mountain.

I'm not sure if it's negotiable by vehicle, but AFAIK that's how the hawkers get their boxes of Mars bars up to flog them on for exorbitant prices

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

Yes, there is a small dirt track up to the back of the reek. On the Two Days previous to Reek Sunday, Mountain Rescue and Order of Malta Ambulances use the track to transport medical supplies to the top of the mountain. If someone falls ill at the top of the mountain, there is an ambulance parked stationery at the back.

Tbh, they don't really like lay people going up the back on reek sunday, as it's easy to get lost, and the road is only a small bog road, not fit to carry two vehicles at a time. Even cyclists don't use the road because its in such poor condition.

The road only brings you to about quarter of the way up the mountain, but if you bring a spare pair of wellies, you'll be grand for the rest :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Samhain

It may not be as bad as the other way though, that last bit is terrible if its wet. One step forward, two steps back....

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

nevf wrote: »
    Yes, there is a small dirt track up to the back of the reek. On the Two Days previous to Reek Sunday, Mountain Rescue and Order of Malta Ambulances use the track to transport medical supplies to the top of the mountain. If someone falls ill at the top of the mountain, there is an ambulance parked stationery at the back.

Tbh, they don't really like lay people going up the back on reek sunday, as it's easy to get lost, and the road is only a small bog road, not fit to carry two vehicles at a time. Even cyclists don't use the road because its in such poor condition.

The road only brings you to about quarter of the way up the mountain, but if you bring a spare pair of wellies, you'll be grand for the rest :D

That track does not go all the way up, the use a helicopter also for getting critical supplies up to the top.
    Hawkers use the easier track to the West of the reek to get up a lot of their stuff, when the mining was been done they created a rough track. This can be accessed from the Thornhill/Lecanvey side of the Reek.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭irishgeo

think i got lost on that road one day.i realised i was nearly at the top of the reek.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

The road does go all the way to the top. Last time I was up there some dudes were doing some work and had a land cruiser up there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭dublinmadyoke

FX Meister wrote: »
    The road does go all the way to the top. Last time I was up there some dudes were doing some work and had a land cruiser up there.

The road does not go all the way to the top dude!! I should know... I am part of a rescue team that goes up there many times a year.. I may now be a Dublinmadyoke now but I am from Mayo

• Advertisement

The road does not go all the way to the top dude!! I should know... I am part of a rescue team that goes up there many times a year.. I may now be a Dublinmadyoke now but I am from Mayo
    what organisation are you from and what unit?

I'm a westport omac recently turned senior... :D

what organisation are you from and what unit?

I'm a westport omac recently turned senior... :D

C/Bar OMAC member for over 10 years (I am in Dublin now though hence 'Dublinmadyoke'). Congrats on becoming a senior.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭sgthighway

You can get up the back on a Quad but it would have to be light. If any fog came in towards the back you will get lost easily and in up in the worst scenario possible. Helipcopters can't always come in and a helipcopter won't be called out for the likes of a sprained ankle. I have seen people taken down the back years ago but in most case its down the way you came up.

Most people use Donkeys to carry up stuff for the shop.

RTE took a load of equipment up there yesterday. On a Track Machine up so far and then on foot. A helipcopter took up some more stuff today.

sgthighway wrote: »
    You can get up the back on a Quad but it would have to be light. If any fog came in towards the back you will get lost easily and in up in the worst scenario possible. Helipcopters can't always come in and a helipcopter won't be called out for the likes of a sprained ankle. I have seen people taken down the back years ago but in most case its down the way you came up.

RTE took a load of equipment up there yesterday. On a Track Machine up so far and then on foot. A helipcopter took up some more stuff today.

Injured people are still taken down the back my dear - many a time i'v done it. Its easy for rescue personell as it not as steep to carry a stretcher down.... Don't go trying it now..

Might come home for Reek Sunday

'Oh the green and red of Mayo' ...........

C/Bar OMAC member for over 10 years (I am in Dublin now though hence 'Dublinmadyoke'). Congrats on becoming a senior.
    Thanks. :D
    i might see you if you do decide to return, i'll be wearing a cadet uniform collecting, at the bottom. :D
    sgthighway wrote: »

RTE haven't used helicopters for transport as of yet. all equipment has been carried up on back. omac/mountain rescue, have used helicopter to transport water and supplies to the top.

if there is no immediate rush, the casualty is transported via stretcher to the foot of the mountain where he/she is transported via ambulance to mayo general. on reek sunday, weather dependant, the helicopters will be used, due to large amounts of traffic, it would take hours to get from the reek to the hospital.

bare in mind, the large costs of running a helicopter. and the rescue helicopters(most likely the Eurocopter EC135 are no different)
    Injured people are still taken down the back my dear - many a time i'v done it. Its easy for rescue personell as it not as steep to carry a stretcher down.... Don't go trying it now..
    and it can be a biitch of a job as well. thankfully i havent tried it, but it's a tough job.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Karlos_Sparky

Rubbish - we had to carry a lady down from the very top with the aid of mountain rescue ..... There is no track to the top for vehicles

• Registered Users Posts: 28 pat.folan

Can someone give a definite answer? Is there a road to the top or not? Don't get hung up on whether it is the "back" or the "side". Road or no road? Can anyone with local knowledge put this one to bed please?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

pat.folan wrote: »
    Can someone give a definite answer? Is there a road to the top or not? Don't get hung up on whether it is the "back" or the "side". Road or no road? Can anyone with local knowledge put this one to bed please?

No road, back, front or sides. Its good old feet! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Taken last Sunday, Donkeys approaching from back of the reek, in the Lecanvey direction, I expect bringing provisions to the top to sell.
    19696114735_8e8718690f_c.jpg

They would have taken some of the red line marked on the following map, but not clear where exactly they started their trek from. It wouldnt be easy coming from the Lecanvey side either so they may have started south of the ridge.
    https://www.imra.ie/events/maps/id/1260/

Taken last Sunday, Donkeys approaching from back of the reek, in the Lecanvey direction, I expect bringing provisions to the top to sell.
    19696114735_8e8718690f_c.jpg

They would have taken some of the red line marked on the following map, but not clear where exactly they started their trek from. It wouldnt be easy coming from the Lecanvey side either so they may have started south of the ridge.
    https://www.imra.ie/events/maps/id/1260/

Up from a place called Gloshpatrick. They would follow the trail done by the miners.

• Advertisement
Advertisement