Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Engine steam clean service

Options
  • 23-06-2008 7:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭

Anyone know of a good garage that offers a engine steam clean service? I recently bought a car and the engine area is a bit grubby if you get my meaning. I'm in south dublin.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

You shouldn't use a steam cleaner on your engine - you can damage components. Use something like brake cleaner or a dedicated engine cleaner to clean any crap off.

If you still want it steam-cleaned! - I can't recommend anywhere, but if you went to a self service car wash, you could try it yourself; keep the water jet away from the alternator and any electrical connections (or anything electrical) and from the air intake on the air-box.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

I heard of it being done, definately won't risk it now thanks :o. Off to halfords I go...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

Grab yourself a litre bottle of Autoglym Engine Cleaner from Halfords and a couple of dish brushes from the (no doubt close by) Woodies or whatever. Super stuff altogether at about €10 a bottle - Spray it on, agitate with the brush, rinse it off with clean running water. Works a treat. You can buy an engine bay laquer too - never used it but it's reportedly quite good at protecting/polishing up the plastics etc.

Don't bother with the steam cleaner though, not unless you're planning on taking the engine apart to replace damagede gaskets and the like....

Gil

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

That sounds like the stuff I'll be getting to do the job thanks Gil_Dub.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

You're welcome. I don't like a messy/filthy engine bay myself. ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement