Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

shooting land built on!!

Options
  • 23-06-2008 7:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

The land I once shot is now more or less a housing estate. I cant really complain cus I bought one of the houses. My problem is its part of the land that the licence is signed off for every year as where I use the guns:confused:

I have joined a rifle club lately, but till now my licences have been signed by right I have nowhere to shoot till I joined the club. Is this a problem for anyone else?

Do I have the right to shoot crows off the roofs in my estate now:D:D;)

There is still half the field left out the front of my house. About 10A

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭ivanthehunter

I'd say that out of all the people i know who shoot, there isn't one thats had his licence revoked because of the change in use/ownership of land.
    I have heard of some BS where the local boys revoke licences when people leave shooting clubs.

But no doubt some one on the boards has first hand experience of this!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

I'd say that out of all the people i know who shoot, there isn't one thats had his licence revoked because of the change in use/ownership of land.
    I have heard of some BS where the local boys revoke licences when people leave shooting clubs.

But no doubt some one on the boards has first hand experience of this!!!
    would the shooting of crows off next doors roof not be a better reason to revoke this mans licence ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭chem

jwshooter wrote: »
    would the shooting of crows off next doors roof not be a better reason to revoke this mans licence ...

Jwshooter. That was abit of a joke:p I only shoot them off my own roof:D:p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭ivanthehunter

Look, all i'm saying is that these things are never reopened by the pen pushers once you have ticked all the original boxes unless they have a reason to want you out of the circle.

I'd say that the original permission shows that people within the community at one stage seen you as trustworthy enough to grant you freedom to shoot and as such this showed the authorities that people (who knew you) generally thought of you in good stead. I think that it is unrealistic and unfair to chase down proven shooters with proven clean records and force them to submit in writing permission for lands and TBH I dont see it happening and i doubt it will catch on!

OTOH it might be different for shooters who have been awarded their licences because of their participation in sporting and target clubs.
    i could be mistaken..

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Look, all i'm saying is that these things are never reopened by the pen pushers once you have ticked all the original boxes unless they have a reason to want you out of the circle.
    Ivan, we've had words about this "push things as far as they'll go" attitude before :mad:

The rules under the firearms act are clear. If you did as you're implicitly advising above and ignore changes in circumstances which invalidate your licence, then your licence - and consequently your insurance - are not valid. Which means you'd be in possession of a firearm illegally, shooting illegally, and shooting without insurance. It does not matter if you know this before the Gardai know this, except in that you will be committing a crime if you do not inform them of the change in circumstances.

For those interested, the relevant part of the firearms acts is section 3, part 13(a), with fines of up to €20k and imprisonment of up to five years:
    (13) A person who—
    (a) knowingly gives false or misleading information to an issuing person in relation to an application for a firearm certificate or for its renewal,
    is guilty of an offence and liable—
    (i) on summary conviction, to a fine not exceeding €2,500 or imprisonment or a term not exceeding 6 months or both, or
    (ii) on conviction on indictment, to a fine not exceeding €20,000 or imprisonment for a term not exceeding 5 years or both.

• Advertisement
Advertisement