Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

saw my own car on autotrader

Options
  • 23-06-2008 7:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭

folks,

some help here, we were selling our car lately, had it on some sites etc.

this evening noticed that somebody else has it on autotrader?

any advice, too late to call autotrader,

p

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Get the phone number that's with the autotrader ad and see who it is/what they're playing at.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭vengeance52

gally74 wrote: »
    folks,

some help here, we were selling our car lately, had it on some sites etc.

this evening noticed that somebody else has it on autotrader?

any advice, too late to call autotrader,

p

Contact autotrader and tell them, they will pull the ad down.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Get the phone number that's with the autotrader ad and see who it is/what they're playing at.

I'll go out on a limb and say theres just an email (one that is operated by a guy at a computer several hundred/thousand miles away)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

there's an email and tel no, tel no is a northern no. tried to call it privately, didnt answer, will try off another no later,

im a bit worried thou, what if they ot a seller and decided to steal it?

ill call autotrader tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭vengeance52

its a scam. your car is safe. they use your pics,so if someone else does a HPI check on reg on the pic, it comes back clean.

• Advertisement

thanks vengenance,

!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

IT's a scam. They are only using your picture. Get onto Autotrader and report it though, so that the ad will be removed

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

There are alot of scams going on at the moment via autotrader, carzone and cbg where these scam merchants steal photos from geniune ads, have dodgy phone numbers (Seller based in Dublin but has a Cork number for example) and advertising cars considerably cheaper than the going rate.

Note the details of the ad and report it to the host site.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Stekelly wrote: »
    I'll go out on a limb and say theres just an email (one that is operated by a guy at a computer several hundred/thousand miles away)

Yup, I've noticed this kind of thing a lot recently on car sites and apartments for rent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭BigglesMcGee

WOuld the police be interested in this, or would they just be too lazy to go after a criminal.

• Advertisement

call the guards didnt really want to know,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Is it your phone number on the ad too?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Is the wording exactly the same, or is it just your picture? There is a small chance that someone just decided to use your picture for their car, as your photo was a good one. What with all the many scams these days, it's not as likely though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

The same thing happened a friend of mine 2 months ago. The phone number used was similar to my friend's one with the last three digits changed, e.g.it ended in 08x xxxx999*, the scammer used 08x xxxx888. The poor fecker on the other number was plagued. It had a cheaper price & mentioned that he should only be contacted by email.

* not actual ending

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

WOuld the police be interested in this, or would they just be too lazy to go after a criminal.
    gally74 wrote: »
    call the guards didnt really want to know,

in fairness there is no crime here unless you copyrighted your own photographs and then it wouldn't even be the guards investigating it

ok, here's the update,

the wife called autotrader, said they have had a load lately, and pulled the ad, they said they have had a load lately,

heres the scam, they say that their just out of the country and need a deposit to secure the car, can have delivered to your door then pay balance, amazingling loads have fallen for it,

anyway the ad has been pulled if anyones looking for a TT quatro let me know,

thanks for the help and spread the word, might help some one out someday!

keep on driving in the VRT reduced world!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭BigglesMcGee

TheNog wrote: »
    in fairness there is no crime here unless you copyrighted your own photographs and then it wouldn't even be the guards investigating it

There is if the took money off of anyone

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

TheNog wrote: »

on a completely unrealted topic. You don't need to copyright pictures in Ireland. Once you take the snap intellectual copyright is automatically assigned to you

OP just contact Auto Trader first thing tomorrow and they should pull the ad fairly quickly

edit: just saw Auto Trader pulled the ad :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭MarkN

I wouldn't worry about it. Joe Duffy use my car in the picture anytime they have a silver 335 for sale. The pics in the ad never match the spec they put on the summary :rolleyes:

joeduffybmw989643WBAWB72000P054803_01_DL_280308_1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

MarkN wrote: »
    I wouldn't worry about it. Joe Duffy use my car in the picture anytime they have a silver 335 for sale. The pics in the ad never match the spec they put on the summary :rolleyes:

joeduffybmw989643WBAWB72000P054803_01_DL_280308_1.jpg

Imitation = flattery in this instance :D

From what I can see CarGiant do the exact same thing, same bloody car everytime and they just update the spec in the blurb :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
Advertisement