Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tyre shine

Options
  • 23-06-2008 8:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭

Whats the best stuff to bring tyres to a "new" appearance like most of the garages use ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

"Back to Black" is the name of the stuff I think! You can get it in halfords or most garages. Just make sure you only put it on the sidewalls of the tyres!

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭maninaskirt

I use this stuff http://cgi.ebay.ie/AUTOSMART-FINISH-TYRE-TRIM-DRESSING-500ml_W0QQitemZ110239939209QQihZ001QQcategoryZ72201QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1638Q2em118Q2el1247 and some poorboys gear, gives a great brand new finish, all the autosmart stuff is for trade. I buy all from this seller, excellent vendor, 2days delivery every time!

You could search http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/, top forum and very friendly bunch, but prepare your paypal account! Lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

Son of a gun - you can use it as a deodorant as well!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

Back when I was a valeter, we used this stuff called 'Wet Wall'. It came in 25 litre drums. Don't know where you'd get it in a shop though.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Shiny tyres on a used car lot make me immediatedly suspiscious about a car!

Clean ..yes ...but shiny?

Am I the only one?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭Moanin

peasant wrote: »

Am I the only one?

Makes the tyres and the overall appearance of the car look cleaner I think. How is it suspicious? From what I can see from most used cars for sale in garages they all are all being treated with this stuff

How is it suspicious? Because it looks cheap !

Somebody went to the grand "effort" of spending 5 minutes to make the car "look better" and didn't really succeed.

What else did they use a shortcut on?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,404 ✭✭✭fletch

Totally disagree with you peasant...there is nothing worse than somebody washing a car but leaving the tyres mucky & filthy. I use some purple stuff from Meguiars and it's really great. I find some of the spray on stuff can make your wheels look greasy. The Meguiars stuff I apply with a cloth/sponge so it doesn't get on the wheels, only the tyres

Edit, this stuff

fletch wrote: »
    Totally disagree with you peasant...there is nothing worse than somebody washing a car but leaving the tyres mucky & filthy. I use some purple stuff from Meguiars and it's really great. I find some of the spray on stuff can make your wheels look greasy. The Meguiars stuff I apply with a cloth/sponge so it doesn't get on the wheels, only the tyres

Edit, this stuff

Thanks Fletch. I totally agree with you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Am I the only one?
    Tyres are meant to be black. Washing alone won't make them black.

After a couple of goes of silicone based spray tyres stay black for longer, even after the sheen (which is short lived anyway) is gone off them.

• Advertisement

Well, it's just my (possibly weird) opinion.

I DO wash the tyres on my car as well when it gets washed, but I would never shine them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Edit, this stuff

+1

Excellent, not too shiny, lasts ages. Also it is important to treat the tyres, these types of gels prolong the life of the tyre wall.

+1

Excellent, not too shiny, lasts ages. Also it is important to treat the tyres, these types of gels prolong the life of the tyre wall.
    The bottle also lasts ages....I have mine about 2 years and use it about once or every month or two and still have just under half a bottle left....cudn't recommend it enough and it smells lovely :D

it smells lovely :D

Don't tell me you sniff your tyres as well? :D:D:D

Don't tell me you sniff your tyres as well? :D:D:D
    You mean you don't?? :confused::p

I leave that one to my dogs :D

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Edit, this stuff

+2

Have been using this stuff for a while now and it really is good. Doesn't leave that cheap wet look on the tyres either.

Edit, this stuff

Fletch have you purchased from these guys?

How do you apply it to the tyre with a rag or brush?

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭alpina

Would you spend a grand on a suit & wear scuffed knackered looking loafers...
    Think not....:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭TomMc

Moanin wrote: »

You will get the stuff easy enough over here in Halfords or any good car accessories shop. It is more of a gel than a watery liquid so I find a paint brush is ideal for applying same. Best to get the tyres as clean as possible first otherwise they will brown all the quicker if you just put a protectant on top on its own.

Autogeek are a good store but they take a while (few days) to get back to you with an invoice with shipping included and they declare what you actually paid them in full on the docket (unlike some others which mark down), so you can get stung by customs for the import duty, vat & post office charge when your parcel arrives over here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Moanin wrote: »

I use a small spung to apply it and it works a treat. A paint brush is a good idea too though. Bought it in Halfords btw.

Advertisement