Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Effect of new VRT rules on used cars? If any?

Options
  • 23-06-2008 8:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭

I'm on the market for a new car. My price limit is 12k and I'm looking for a reliable 5dr hatch. I drive a focus and wouldn't mind a 04 or the newer models from 05. Either way I need a good hatchback; toyota, ford, honda, nissan.
    I'm pretty sure the new rules don't apply to the purchase of used cars but what I'm interested in is if it will have an effect on the amount of used cars available and if that will push the price up or down at all on those cars. Or will there be no change in the amount of used cars on the market when the new rules come in. Of you know what I mean.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Nobody knows, really. At the moment used car prices are on the floor, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

I'm going to be looking for a new car soon for a few quid and I've a feeling it won't be a question of ccs as much how many cylinders:D:D:D

Ohhhhhhh, what a time to be alive....

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭QuadLeo

Anan1 wrote: »
    Nobody knows, really. At the moment used car prices are on the floor, though.

So now would be a good time to buy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Yup. Oddly diesels haven't fallen by as much as petrols, even though petrols will be going up in July and diesels will be coming down, and the cc system is staying for everything before 08, which is advantageous towards petrols.

Get a 1.6 Focus to replace your current rolls. Prices are on the floor at the moment for most cars, but Focuses are very desirable so they mightn't be as cheap as you're hoping for. Corollas are also a car very good at resisting depreciation, but the Focus is a vastly superior car and has the option of a 1.6 as well:)!

Advertisement