Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Applying to the PSI

• 23-06-2008 8:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭

Hi guys,

I am considering applying to the PSI for membership and I have a few questions. I know some of you are affiliated with it so i thought this might be a quick place to ask a few simple questions so i wouldnt have to email the info mail (although this is the second time writing this post because my browser crashed, silly unstable updates). I've been meaning to apply for a while but things kept coming up (being a busy grad student and all). Basically its time for me to start looking to make a bit of cash out of this psychology game. I have my undergrad 2.1 in an accredited psych course and am currently completing my M.Sc. in cognitve science in UCD. I applied for a PhD in neuroscience, but unfortunately didn't get it (i figure i need some more experience). So the basic plan for the next year is to finish the masters (obviously). Then try and find a research assistant job for a hardworking, creative and focused individual (<---- shameless self promotion, I've been getting better at that since I started thinking about my future :D), so if anybody knows of a cognitive/neuro/psychology lab that needs me feel free to PM me ;). Then next year I can figure out what kind of psychology i want to make my name in.

So back to the point of the thread, I have one or two small questions about applying. Firstly because i'm just finishing my M.Sc. in August I suppose I couldnt apply for the reduced rate (although becuse I dont have a job lined up I could probablly get the "income less then 4,400 reduced free). I really should have done this a year ago. Secondly do i need to provide evidence of a supervised project (i.e., can it be an ongoing piece of research or would it have to be a completed project. Not so surprisingly I prefer the work I am doing at the moment rather then my undergrad project).

Also I'm thinking of adding to my CV by applying for a certificate in statistics or something or other. Does anybody know of a course that I could do over the coming year that would allow me to have a full time job (hopefully).

This is a bit of a big thread, but I'ld appreciate any adivce you may have (applications are my cryptonite)

Cheers,
    rollie

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭Valmont

Hi Rollie, I'm not too sure but I'm on the student affairs group of the PSI so I'll forward your questions on to the commitee and I'll PM you when I find out the details?

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭rollie

fantastic, i really appreciate that

Cheers Valmont

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭Valmont

Ok I got this from another member of the SAG, hope it helps.

()Not sure about all this but...

“I'm just finishing my M.Sc. in August I suppose I couldnt apply for the reduced rate”
    You can apply for Graduate membership for up to 3 years after you graduate from your undergraduate degree, regardless of what course you are in now.

“Full time post-graduate students are eligible for a reduced rate. Please ses the Graduate Member form for more details.”
    http://www.psihq.ie/faq_about.asp#graduate

“Secondly do i need to provide evidence of a supervised project (i.e., can it be an ongoing piece of research or would it have to be a completed project.”

You need to provide your college transcripts. You college will provide them. They will detail the courses you took and the grade you got.
    The form is slightly different for UCD but the admin staff usually know what to give.

Check out: http://www.psihq.ie/faq_index.asp

Or call: 014749160

“Also I'm thinking of adding to my CV by applying for a certificate in statistics or something or other.
    Does anybody know of a course that I could do over the coming year that would allow me to have a full time job (hopefully).”

You can study yourself and take the test of the Royal Statistical Society (or something like that) and gain the qualifications in your own time.()

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭rollie

that is fantastic....exactlly what i needed

thanks again

Advertisement