Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

CB aerials? Yes, no, maybe?

Options
  • 23-06-2008 8:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭

Any info i can get on these is welcome, how legal/illegal are they etc. Are they of any use?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

Trying to imitate a cop are we? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

Ever been in a Taxi?

Perfectly leagal, look a bit silly on a private car.

If i seen one i'd direct the driver to 1982.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Hotwheels

Reminds me I must take out the auld Charlie Bravo and give a whirl...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

IIRC, a DV7 was used to be the mobile CB aerial of choice. I used to have one hooked up to a Cobra 146 in my old MkI Golf.

I'd say the mobile phone has killed the CB market - except for the ultimate purists.....

Time for CW McCall

• Advertisement

Hotwheels wrote: »
    Time for CW McCall

You mean like this :D

Jeebus :eek: They've gotten very swanky these days - I'd no idea :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

I see them on cars occasional, its pretty amusing. They were quite popular in the 80s apparently.

Used it a fair bit in the 80's early 90's when travelling to Rallys, coming back late from an event it was a handy way of passing the time..

The Italian Skip with ecco mikes was always funny & the preacher in the USA saying We'd all burn in Hell!! They were the days...

cq cq cq dx, this is Hotel, Oscar, Tango, Whiskey, Hotel, Ecco, Ecco,Lima,Sierra on standby for a radio check...:D
    10:6

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

What was popular in the 80's (and even the 90's) was the classy looking clothes hanger aerial! They were the days! :D

Car modding in the early years :)
    Max_Damage wrote: »
    What was popular in the 80's (and even the 90's) was the classy looking clothes hanger aerial! They were the days! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

I use mine every so often, but it's usually when a group of us are driving in convoy or are setting up rally stages.

I see them used a lot in Poland to warn of checkpoints; every second car seems to have a CB, and there's always a bit of chat on them.

Standard CBs are legal to use and don't require a license; however, for HAM and VHF (is there a difference?), IIRC you need a license.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Ha thanks for the replies, i've seen a few lately and a fella offered me a president:confused: with a few magnetic aerials so i said i'd give it a go haha

President weren't a bad make, afaik. You're gonna have to adjust the aerial for optimum SWR (standing wave ratio) and for that you'll need an SWR meter.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

In terms of aerials the bigger the better??:p he has four

In terms of aerials the bigger the better??:p he has four

Nope. Four aerials would indicate a diversity setup and is more common in an FM set up. FM CBs are not uncommon but short wave sets, which run on AM, are more popular.

The CB frequency is 27MHz with a wavelength of 11 meters. Essentially, your aerial should be 11 meters long but this is not practical. So the aerial is Xm long and a coil in the base of the aerial makes up 11m minus the length of your mast. The mast is adjustable in order to get the the whole thing 'in tune'. An SWR meter will help you achieve the optimum length.

More info here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

What use would it be for your man to have it in his house though?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Fozzie Bear

Any info i can get on these is welcome, how legal/illegal are they etc. Are they of any use?

They are so coooool! Some mates of mine have them on their car. I'll ask Bo, Luke and Daisy about them next time I'm down in Hazard county. YEEEEEEEE HAAAAAA

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

What use would it be for your man to have it in his house though?

I know a guy who talks to the Russian space station regularly, and has friends all over the world he can talk to.

However, the standard set that the OP is talking about is only good for a mile or two!!!

And President is a decent radio. They're around a long time, and there are several different ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭BobTheBeat

Also know as knacker-whips. Yeaayaah!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

• Advertisement
Advertisement