Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork Taxis

Options
  • 23-06-2008 9:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭

Is it just me or has the Taxi situation in cork improved dramatically over the past year or so?

I lived in cork all the way up to and including college (4 years ago) and always remembered that taxis were a b!tch to get on a Saturday night (and even worse on a bank holiday), often having to leave the club early and walking out towards Paddy the Farmer's just to get one (a few time having to walk as far as douglas!).

But the last few times I've been home, I've noticed that I've managed to get one quiet reasonably (ie leave the club at closing time and pick up a taxi within maybe 10 minutes in the centre itself), and this includes bank holidays!

Is it that there are more taxis or less people going out (or have I just been lucky the last few times!)?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Taxi Reg changed, only one Driver allowed per car now so that may the reason for the increased number about.

MC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 nakedlykeenthen

Taxi Reg changed, only one Driver allowed per car now so that may the reason for the increased number about.

MC

Not the case, as long as an individual has a PSV licence they can drive a licenced vehicle providing they are insured to do so. I believe the increase in the number of taxis in Cork is due to the increase in the amount of licences being issued. More and more people are getting into the taxi business, especially on a part time basis, and they are obviously going to take advantage of peak times... Hence the greater availability of taxis on weekend nights...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Can you confirm this as the "cosy" arrangement that went on in Dublin for years was ended by the new regulations.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

I suppose that with deregulation the cost to enter the market reduced dramatically and the cosy arrangement wasn't really needeed. If a plate cost 100,000 then that taxi had to be running every hour in order to make payback so hence cosies. Now that a plate is a few thousand folk can just do it part-time..

Advertisement