Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The city is on fire!!!

Options
  • 23-06-2008 9:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭

HELP I'm a culchie from Tipp and only here a few day's.
    Why can I smell smoke from my bedroom and see smoke all over the city when I look out the window.
    Are we all going to die?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

23rd of june in cork is bon fire night! people light fires!
    its also by birthday ha ha

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

there's no better way for people in Cork to illegally get rid of unwanted junk ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

there's no better way for people in Cork to illegally get rid of unwanted junk ;)

absolutely. I've seen 3 piece suites, beds, kitchen tables being hauled off for the bonna.

we don't have bonfires round our way any more. I miss them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,982 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

And evidence!;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭Fast_Mover

Bonfire's mainly a city thing?! Don't have them out my way (country)..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Ah, I was wondering what was going on looking out the window Blackpool direction to see the place burning.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

Fast_Mover wrote: »
    Bonfire's mainly a city thing?! Don't have them out my way (country)..

yeah, there used to be plenty of them out Glounthaune way, but they stopped a few years ago. Around the same time that they built on everything green now that I think of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

They still have them out the country. There's always a massive one in Glenville. Was great fun when I was small, everyone used to go to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭bill_ashmount

3 or 4 good bonas up in Mayfield last night.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭mathias

St Johns night , a christianisation of the old midsummers festival , dying out now in Ireland unfortunately , very few in Dublin will even have heard of it , but still hugely popular in parts of Europe.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midsummer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Is this just a Cork thing?
    I was walking over the Sarsfield Rd. footbridge last night and i must have counted 12 fires going...
    I also noticed that 3 bus stops in the vicinity of the Lough were smashed this Morning.
    Hooligans Ted.

They do the same thing in Limerick city only it's on the first day of summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Cool_CM wrote: »
    And evidence!;)

true:D Out my way (Passage) I think I saw a few more bank notes going up in flames :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Yeah, helped my Dad against my will. My carbon fairy won't speak to me for a month fs.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,380 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

ah ya the good old nights of the bon fire nights :-) ah the memories :-).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

we used to have it up the country too. Last night if you were one side of the divide, 12th July if you were the other.

I'm always glad I don't work for the fire service when bonfire night rolls around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Chloris

It was some crazy night last night. Drinking until 4am in fantastic company and chucking cans into the dying embers.. These are the days, lads!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

mathias wrote: »
    St Johns night , a christianisation of the old midsummers festival , dying out now in Ireland unfortunately , very few in Dublin will even have heard of it , but still hugely popular in parts of Europe.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midsummer
    they have it in dublin on guy fawkes in november, them being the pale and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭fastrac

My neighbours started burning rubbish at two o clock pm and continued until eleven o clock pm.Everybodies house stinks of smoke as most people were out and had windows open.

Advertisement