Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parents, Feet and other related matters

Options
  • 23-06-2008 9:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭

I got a discworld moon dragon tattooed on my foot yesterday. Original artwork by Paul Kidby, tattoo by Mark in Inkwell. I'm delighted about it, I love it to bits, and I'm really proud of sitting through the hour and a half of torture for it. I was even looking forward to getting its partner on my other foot.

But now I'm miserable and not so sure I want to. My mum just saw this one, and she freaked out a bit. I knew she doesn't like tattoos, so I didn't tell her I was getting anything done. But she came into the room while I was putting clingfilm on and saw it. She looked disgusted and she yelled at me for a while and now she's gone off not talking to me. I think she might be crying... I know I am...

I don't know what to do... I've tried to explain before that me getting piercings and tattoos isn't my way of getting at her, that I just get them because it makes me happy, and I thought she was starting to understand, but this is like we're right back at my first piercing all over again...

I don't want to upset her anymore, but at the same time, I really do enjoy getting mods, and I don't want to stop that either...

This doesn't really have a point, it's just a bit of a miserable little rant...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Looby_Loo

Ah I am sorry that its put a dampener on the new tattoo. I kinda know whats thats like, I hid my first for months after getting it done until my mother saw it by accident while I was bending down. I have just got my 4th at 27 and still havent told my parents :o I am such a wuss.
    But they do get used to it, for me the issue was that I wasnt their little girl any more.
    Try talk it out with her

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭The Artist

I got a discworld moon dragon tattooed on my foot yesterday. Original artwork by Paul Kidby, tattoo by Mark in Inkwell. I'm delighted about it, I love it to bits, and I'm really proud of sitting through the hour and a half of torture for it. I was even looking forward to getting its partner on my other foot.

But now I'm miserable and not so sure I want to. My mum just saw this one, and she freaked out a bit. I knew she doesn't like tattoos, so I didn't tell her I was getting anything done. But she came into the room while I was putting clingfilm on and saw it. She looked disgusted and she yelled at me for a while and now she's gone off not talking to me. I think she might be crying... I know I am...

I don't know what to do... I've tried to explain before that me getting piercings and tattoos isn't my way of getting at her, that I just get them because it makes me happy, and I thought she was starting to understand, but this is like we're right back at my first piercing all over again...

I don't want to upset her anymore, but at the same time, I really do enjoy getting mods, and I don't want to stop that either...

This doesn't really have a point, it's just a bit of a miserable little rant...
    i was 14 when i got my first one.
    A tiger head which is now covererd up with a bigger tattoo.
    As i was still going to school and got suspended for it and on that day i was shi#ting bricks as the principle had to tell me parents.
    I got a hell of a beating for it as my father and mother hates tattoos.
    Yes they were upset and i was so depressed of what i had done.
    It took about three months to for my parents to get over it.
    As for you i say you must be 18 surely.
    If so, its normal for your parents to get upset about it imo.
    Just leave things as it is for a few days and im sure things will eventually calm down.
    In a couple of months your parent wont know its there.
    Dont worry to much as its done know not purely to get at your parents i believe.
    If you love the tattoo thats ok.
    At the end of the day your still an adult.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

I've tried to explain before that me getting piercings and tattoos isn't my way of getting at her

Why does she think that it's a way of getting at her?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

Alan Ford wrote: »
    i was 14 when i got my first one.
    A tiger head which is now covererd up with a bigger tattoo.
    As i was still going to school and got suspended for it and on that day i was shi#ting bricks as the principle had to tell me parents.
    I got a hell of a beating for it as my father and mother hates tattoos.
    Yes they were upset and i was so depressed of what i had done.
    It took about three months to for my parents to get over it.
    As for you i say you must be 18 surely.
    If so, its normal for your parents to get upset about it imo.
    Just leave things as it is for a few days and im sure things will eventually calm down.
    In a couple of months your parent wont know its there.
    Dont worry to much as its done know not purely to get at your parents i believe.
    If you love the tattoo thats ok.
    At the end of the day your still an adult.

Popey :) I think Alan's advice is quite sound. They will get over it. At least they care enough to worry about ya. Maybe a sit down with them all and explain?

Try think of it from their point of view; I could be wrong here, just remember reading about the amount of piercings you have gotten in one year. 15 or so right? Now, thats a big change for you, and a huge change for your parents. Their seeing their kid poke holes in themselves and get permanent ink put in. It's bound to scare them. Maybe their thinking self harm, they're coming from a different generation, i.e Alan getting a beating from his dad.

Just go chat with them, outline your reasons, walk them through what the procedure is like and let them know it isn't some back yard piercer doing the work. When they were younger piercings were the reserve of punks etc. with lil or no hygiene standards.

Slow down with all the piercings and tattoo's maybe? Ease in gradually to it, for your beneifit and your parents. It's not a race. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭MzFusspot

Hello- I never normally post here but I saw what your tattoo is of and did a little happy dance- that is just the best thing I've ever heard of :D As a Pratchett nerd I salute you and absolutely beg that when you're ready you get the other foot done so that you have 2 moondragons to keep eachother company.

If your mum is anything like mine the reference points for tattoos she has are the ones she saw when she was little (ie my great uncles sailor tattoos, badly drawn noody women and all manner of faded cr*ppy looking arm stuff) and her attitude is typical of her generation, that tattoos are unfeminine and the sort of thing people either do when drunk on holidays or to themselves with a sharpened Bic trying to pass time in jail, the same goes for piercings. She was none too happy when I started turning up my lip pierced and my hair blue but after a freak out and telling me I'd regret it when I was older (I did regret the blue hair a bit but only because I looked like the cookie monster with a bald face) she got over it, and couldn't imagine me now without something shiny somewhere about my face. I can imagine you feel horrible now because you don't want to upset your mum but she'll be ok and while she'll probably never see what you do in your (fabulous) tattoos she'll definitely get to the point where she sees them as a part of what makes you you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭Southern Dandy

I remember when i got my first tattoo on my leg my mother freaked out completely, now were far from posh but she thought they were cheap an all, after a while she calmed down and things went back to normal as if i didnt get one...so dont worry aboot it she'll get over it in time.....i did freak out my mom again by getting a big henna tattoo of my girlfriend at the time's name on my arm in like a script text, she didnt know the difference between henna and an actual tattoo and she nearly passed out when she saw it...priceless i swear

I remember when i got my first tattoo on my leg my mother freaked out completely, now were far from posh but she thought they were cheap an all, after a while she calmed down and things went back to normal as if i didnt get one...so dont worry aboot it she'll get over it in time.....i did freak out my mom again by getting a big henna tattoo of my girlfriend at the time's name on my arm in like a script text, she didnt know the difference between henna and an actual tattoo and she nearly passed out when she saw it...priceless i swear
    id suppose you still have the henna tattoo on?:rolleyes:

id suppose you still have the henna tattoo on?:rolleyes:

ah thats going back about 2 years, was gone after a few days, worth every penny though as bad as the joke was....

ah thats going back about 2 years, was gone after a few days, worth every penny though as bad as the joke was....
    was..... what?

was..... what?
    im afraid you'll never find out

• Advertisement

ah go on:D

ah go on:D
    Ok so ill tell you, well basically........

........ nuf said:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭popecatapetal

Thanks for all the help and advice guys. I had a chat with her today and we seem to be okay again. She still loathes tattoos, and I still like them, but we seem to have reached an understanding.

To Wilburt, I know it's not a race, but I do enjoy getting new mods! I shall have to learn to pace myself much better I think... I've tried explaining procedures and hygiene to her, but she doesn't really want to hear about tattoos so it doesn't do much good.

And thanks MzFusspot:) It's nice to meet someone else who knows what moondragons even are! I'll definitely get the other one, for company and symmetry, and then I think I'll go easy for a good while.

Thanks again, all!

glad you had chat and things are going smooth for now:)

Advertisement