Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bonfire night galway?

Options
  • 23-06-2008 9:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

hiya!any info on bonfire night in galway!?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

1st or 12th of July?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Yes. It's tonight \o/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 g_e_r_a_r_d

gonna wait til it gets dark and follow the smoke!does anyone know if theres any fires round cladagh or anything?

Dunno man, take pics for me please :)

• Registered Users Posts: 31,887 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Will there be any bonfires that wil stay alight with the rain and all?!

• Advertisement

Get enough petrol and tyres, anything's possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

why exactly are there bonfires?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

DRakE wrote: »

because you touch yourself at night

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

St. John's night, its a tradition in Ireland to light bonfires on the 23rd of June. Probably goes back to pagan times celebrating midsummer, another pagan feast appropriated by the Church...

OP I think its more a rural tradition, I've never seen any bonfires in urban areas for it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Fracture

they should have one in eyre square, now that would be funny as hell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Fly High

It's an ancient festival, something to do with mid summers and all that lark so when the christians couldn't stamp it out they claimed it as their own...
    I'm down in the sticks of east galway at the minute and there are several bonfires, rain or no rain...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

bonfires for those not wanting to burn a another hole in the ozone.

urban-firepit-md.jpg

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 drunknmunky_69

3 pieces of wood in a bbq is not a bonfire.....wheres the broken couches,the million slabs of wood,the tires :O

dont forget the crates and petrol to get the thing going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭kevmy

A few auld mattress and some black plastic from the silage pit are also essentials.

Some bags of crisps and a bottle of TK lemonade and your set for the evening

• Registered Users Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

or every bit of burnable rubbish/ material to be found near or around ones premises.:D:D

three hours ours lasted thats how much c**p collected

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭gd1987

As someone said already its a rural thing, I've never seen or heard of any bonfires in the city, except for halloween.

gd1987 wrote: »
    As someone said already its a rural thing, I've never seen or heard of any bonfires in the city, except for halloween.

well oviously. where do you expect them to have one in a city.

Can you imagine kids for weeks piling up a mountain of stuff in the center of eyre square.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭chris_oc

tis a rural thing alright! great craic:D

what i really never got into though was the burning of tyres. never really appealed to me because of the ridiculous amount fumes that comes out of them when they're burning. bit more of an old fashioned man mysHelf, i like me tea with milk, me toast with butter and me bonfires with sHticks and kippens:p:p (bitta petHrol ta sHtart the thing off too!)

anyone else think its sh*te that to use tyres instead of good old fashioned wood??:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

because it was my birthday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

These horrid things are still going. Such a bogger thing. Was dragged to many in my younger years. Not much fun enduring a few hours of toxic smoke inhalation (tyres, matresses, dead bodies, whatever) while the adults got completed twisted on 'fine' wine and gossiped endlessly about every- and anyone.

Advertisement