Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new domain and hosting - probably simple answer

Options
  • 23-06-2008 10:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭

My problem is probably something stupid.

I'm trying to setup a website as part of an ongoing joke between me and a few friends. So I bought a domain off godaddy and hosting off an irish company a few months ago but havent got around to doing anything until now. The irish hosting company emailed me all my log in details etc aswell as a temporary web address "until the domain resolves".

Is their something I have to setup in my godaddy account so that my godaddy domain works with my irish hosting?

I remember when i got the irish hosting i gave my godaddy domain name when i was filling out the form

And the email i got off the irish hosting company mentions my domain name :

"
    Once your domain resolves, you will be able to follow this link to login:

http://www.xxxxxxxxxxxx.com:2222"

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

My problem is probably something stupid.

I'm trying to setup a website as part of an ongoing joke between me and a few friends. So I bought a domain off godaddy and hosting off an irish company a few months ago but havent got around to doing anything until now. The irish hosting company emailed me all my log in details etc aswell as a temporary web address "until the domain resolves".

Is their something I have to setup in my godaddy account so that my godaddy domain works with my irish hosting?

I remember when i got the irish hosting i gave my godaddy domain name when i was filling out the form

And the email i got off the irish hosting company mentions my domain name :

"
    Once your domain resolves, you will be able to follow this link to login:

http://www.xxxxxxxxxxxx.com:2222"

if godaddy host your DNS there should be a control panel to point the nameservers at eithier

the hosting companies and have them setup the dns

or use go daddys and point the dns at the ip the hosting site gave you

if your unsure give the hosting lads a ring and they'll sort it out

• Registered Users Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

in the godaddy settings, when i click select my domain and go to nameservers, it has 3 tabs

default nameservers
    custom nameservers
    help

Under default namesevers, the radio button beside custom nameservers is selected

Under custom namerservers,

Nameserver 1 is: NS17.DOMAINCONTROL.COM
    Nameserver 2 is: NS18.DOMAINCONTROL.COM

Should my irish hosting companies dns be here instead?

dns1.xxxxx.ie
    dns2.xxxxx.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭CoNfOuNd

You'll need to contact your hosts support, or check their website, to find out their nameservers. Once you have the nameservers, enter them into your godaddy control panel. The changes will take up to 48 hours to 'propagate', at which point you can then login to your hosting control panel. :)

Actually, here is a tutorial on changing nameservers at godaddy:
    http://www.spiralhosting.com/helpdesk2/tutorials/dns/dns_godaddy.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭CoNfOuNd

kaisersose77 > Yes - that's correct. Select custom nameservers and enter the Irish host details.

in the godaddy settings, when i click select my domain and go to nameservers, it has 3 tabs

default nameservers
    custom nameservers
    help

Under default namesevers, the radio button beside custom nameservers is selected

Under custom namerservers,

Nameserver 1 is: NS17.DOMAINCONTROL.COM
    Nameserver 2 is: NS18.DOMAINCONTROL.COM

Should my irish hosting companies dns be here instead?

dns1.xxxxx.ie
    dns2.xxxxx.ie

if the hosting company are doing dns for you, you can change it to the hosting companies name servers.

if go daddy offer dns services there should be an option to point the domain name at an IP this would be the IP of the server of the machine your site will be on

both ways will work but it's probably handier to keep everything with the hosting company

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

thanks for the replies, I entered some dns i found for the irish hosting company, if they dont work i'll contact the hosting company.

thanks for the replies, I entered some dns i found for the irish hosting company, if they dont work i'll contact the hosting company.

yep any problems give them a bell, but as confound said it can sometimes take a day or so for it to start working but usually propigates fairly quickly

Advertisement