Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broken PC no idea what it is that is broken in it :/

Options
  • 23-06-2008 10:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

So this is more a repair question then a build or upgrade, so hope ye dont mind it being slightly off topic.

I have this old pc, and a while back it went. I tried another PSU in it and the it turns on and the fan on the graphics card and the fan on the CPU but start turning but nothing else happens.

I dont hear any hard drive spin up either I dont think. When I plug my graphics card into a monitor, the monitor also reports no signal. So I cant tell if its my graphics card is broken either, cus its a PCI-E and I have no other machine to test it with.

So im just wondering what is it that could be gone in the PC? Is it the mobo? How do I tell if its this.

Another thing is, and im pretty sure that this makes my CPU broken anyways, is that when I took out my CPU from the socket, it had a bent pin on it. So just wondering, must all pins be connected into the socket for the CPU to work? Stupidly also when I tried to straighten the one pin out on the chip, I bent a few others slightly out of shape, and tried to put it back in, and broke another one clean off :/ I think Its an Athlon 64 3200+, how they rate these days :/

So really what im asking, in a bit of a muddled up way really is.

Whats broken, and whats the cheapest route to fixing the machine back to roughly what it was?

Many thanks,
    Coz.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭R3al

-ADREN- wrote: »
    I have this old pc,
    and whats the cheapest route to fixing the machine back to roughly what it was?

Many thanks,
    Coz.

If its old the cheapest option is probably to recycle it and buy a new one (dont forget to take your HDD out before you recycle it)

Advertisement