Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fast delivery or what

Options
  • 23-06-2008 10:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,622 ✭✭✭✭

Ordered some goods from California USA on Friday morning at 10.00am
    Irish time.
    Goods were delivered to my house in Dublin by DHL today at 12.49pm!
    Just over 1 working day.
    It takes An Post 2 days to deliver a letter from Dublin City Centre to me about 7 miles :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

okidoki987 wrote: »
    Ordered some goods from California USA on Friday morning at 10.00am
    Irish time.
    Goods were delivered to my house in Dublin by DHL today at 12.49pm!
    Just over 1 working day.
    It takes An Post 2 days to deliver a letter from Dublin City Centre to me about 7 miles :confused:
    How much did the DHL cost and how much does a letter cost?

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭CourierCollie

Thats pretty impressive, whatever the price. I'm a courier, and I sometimes get frustrated with people expecting miracles. Recently a guy in the IFSC orders a pick up from there at 11.55, which he needs in Blackrock by 12.20. It was 12.10 when I picked it up, and I had to inform him that there's no way I'll be delivering by 12.20. He jumps up and down in frustration, 'What do you mean, you've got 10 minutes!!'.
    Package was delivered at 12.36, good enough as far as I'm concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

axer wrote: »
    How much did the DHL cost and how much does a letter cost?

I usually receive post from the USA in under one week. Post from the UK (even from Northern Ireland) can take *as long*. It doesn't add up!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,622 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Taking mileage into account, An Post is about 12 times more expensive per mile.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

eth0_ wrote: »
    I usually receive post from the USA in under one week. Post from the UK (even from Northern Ireland) can take *as long*. It doesn't add up!

with northern ireland it doesn't add up but with the uk i don't see why it doesn't. you order something from the US and it's put on a plane to a delivery centre in dublin and delievered to you

you order something from the uk and it's put on a plane to the same delivery centre in dublin and delievered to you

the only difference is that a flight from the uk takes an hour and a flight from the US takes 7 hours. it really shouldn't make that much of a difference to delivery times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

eth0_ wrote: »
    It says on the anpost website that it takes 2/3 working days to send a letter to the UK @ 82c. 5/7 working days to the USA @ 82c.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭corkgal1981

DHL is a courier service so obviously its going to be faster than something thats sent by regular post!

Advertisement