Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I want to start making music again...

Options
  • 23-06-2008 10:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭

Hello all

I hope someone can offer me some advice.

When I was 14 I used to make electronic music on the Amiga using a program called "Techno Plus".

A few years later I started using Acid to make silly jungle music.

I then went to college and lost the music bug.

Fast forward about a decade later and I want to start making music again...

The type of music I'm interested in making is in the style of the classic Moby rave tunes, like Next is the E

Questions -

1. Am I right in thinking a MIDI keyboard is a keyboard which can be loaded with sounds, so it can pretty much play any type of tune? I'd like to write original music, so a MIDI keyboard is my best bet?
    2. Considering I want to make music ala Moby, can you recommend some very easy to use software? I've tried Reason already, and it seems to be designed for random sound making, rather than thought out music, so I'd rather not use something like that.

Any pointers appreciated.

Thanks. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Neurojazz

Reason can make cheap backings for 'Moby style' music... Reason can make pretty much anything you want when used well :) - other programs like cubase, cakewalk and sonar would give you more flexability but entail very, very steep learning curve.

Reason is basically easy and you can take songs made in into better software later.... there are lots and lots of programs like reason (fruity loops etc...) - reason is very stable and would only take a minimal pc/mac to run....

If you want to hear samples of released material from reason (that is earning money) then PM me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭dav nagle

dublindude wrote: »
    Hello all

I hope someone can offer me some advice.

When I was 14 I used to make electronic music on the Amiga using a program called "Techno Plus".

A few years later I started using Acid to make silly jungle music.

I then went to college and lost the music bug.

Fast forward about a decade later and I want to start making music again...

The type of music I'm interested in making is in the style of the classic Moby rave tunes, like Next is the E

Questions -

1. Am I right in thinking a MIDI keyboard is a keyboard which can be loaded with sounds, so it can pretty much play any type of tune? I'd like to write original music, so a MIDI keyboard is my best bet?
    2. Considering I want to make music ala Moby, can you recommend some very easy to use software? I've tried Reason already, and it seems to be designed for random sound making, rather than thought out music, so I'd rather not use something like that.

Any pointers appreciated.

Thanks. :)

1. A midi keyboard is a tool that triggers the sound from your computer application program like Reason or Abelton live. It is just a tool and just a trigger device, no sounds are stored in its hardware. Its a vessel.
    You can buy keyboards that come with preset sounds on them and if your are going for a certain sound I recommend going into various keyboard retailers 'Future sounds', 'Music maker', 'Waltons' etc and listen to the built in sounds on the keyboard.

2. Reason is an application designed for creating, writing and sculpting sound/music so check out version 4 to see how far it has come. Ableton live is an excellent dance DAW but you might need the hardware to go with it. If its sounds of Moby you are after I would look at sample packs. Call a retailer such as Digital village and explain what you are after, they will advise wisely I believe.

http://www.dv247.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

if you can put in the time id recommend you get logic.
    reasons cool but i think logic beats it hands down.
    you can make music with any number of application(cheap to expensive)
    so any daw you pick,used properly will yield you good results.
    read up on soft synths.these will basically allow you to make the sounds you want.check out predator,massive, zebra etc.

seannash wrote: »
    if you can put in the time id recommend you get logic.
    reasons cool but i think logic beats it hands down.
    you can make music with any number of application(cheap to expensive)
    so any daw you pick,used properly will yield you good results.
    read up on soft synths.these will basically allow you to make the sounds you want.check out predator,massive, zebra etc.

Yes Logic is sick! Wort every penny

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Thanks for the advice everyone.

Logic is an Apple product?

• Advertisement

dublindude wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice everyone.

Logic is an Apple product?

Yes its an apple product, for macs only, order it online through the apple store

Advertisement