Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All about gear ratios

Options
  • 23-06-2008 10:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭

I've seen mentions in many posts about different gear ratios, chain sets (compact, double, triple) with various numbers with hyphens in them being mentioned. I'm pretty sure it all relates to how hard or easy the gear is to cycle in, but beyond that I'm lost.

So, thought it would be a good idea to get a thread going with a beginners guide all about gear ratios - the wiki doesn't seem to cover this, so it would be a good addition.

Things like what the terms mean, the logic behind choosing gear ration, difference between the front cog (?) and rear one, compact/double/triple, would be great as would examples of scenarios each one would suit. Might help people looking to buy bikes choose the right fit also.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

All gear ratios are ultimately convertible into a simple number. Thus you can easily compare ratios between triple/compact/standard double. At the easiest it is simply a matter of dividing the teeth front and back and multiplying by 27 (for gear inches, which is the most common measurement in these parts.)

For an easy calulator, see here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

In the old days the standard ratios for the average off the shelf 10 Speed Racer was 40 & 52 Front and 14, 16, 18, 21 to 24 rear. Some touring bikes would come with rear sprockets of 28 to 34T. (Dawes Super Galaxy) . These days its just so complicated :confused:

Advertisement