Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Soil testing

Options
  • 23-06-2008 10:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭

I'd like to get my soil tested to see what kind of amendment it may need. Where can I have this done?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 orangelemon

You can buy electric testers or liquid testers in B&Q, you can do the test yourself, its cheap , no more than 6 euro for liquid, and 15 for electric.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Mm, thanks. I'm looking for a more complex test, though - soil values, nitrogen/phosphorus balance, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Look for the construction laboratories for soil testing. Try golden pages under environmental services or environmental monitoring. Or if you know anyone in the civil engineering business, ask them who they use for testing - the labs that test concrete for strength will do water, soils etc.

Google returns this lot

Just be aware that the results will be very detailed and will not be benchmarked, so you most likely will not get a comparative study, just a measure of the chemical composition of the sample. You will need to discuss with the lab the sort of tests you want, there are probably dozens of soil tests available - the rates are charged on turnaround, so a quick result will be more expensive than waiting two weeks for an answer.

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,096 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Don't farmers have this service available to them also? Try Teagasc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Thanks, might try Teagasc. There used to be horticultural advisers for Dublin, who helped people to grow vegetables, but the Celtic Tiger chased them away.

Now that Tigs has been declawed, maybe they'll return.

• Advertisement
Advertisement