Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

India

Options
  • 23-06-2008 10:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Can anyone give me advice about moving to India?

At the moment im paying 1.5k per week for two parents in a nursing home.
    Im considering selling up and moving.....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

If you are for real. Where are you looking to move? Job? Taking the parents?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,654 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Maybe just moving the parents to India? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 brendan4

Given that he has only one post, I suspect he might be commenting on Hibernian's recent move (or BOI 3 or 4 years ago) to outsource some back office operations to India. This isn't new and has happened in 3 companies now that I have worked for. First one was back in 2000. They soon learn that although on paper it looks cheaper, it doesn't work out that way in the long term, with extremely high staff turnover/poor quality employees that India offers (there are some very excellent people btw) Hibernian will be back, but it takes 4 or 5 years for companies to see the problems, in my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 deant

Hi, i work in software dev. so India seems the place to be. Just want to know has anyone worked over there in software? and if so where?.....

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

deant wrote: »
    Hi, i work in software dev. so India seems the place to be. Just want to know has anyone worked over there in software? and if so where?.....

We have a very decent embassy and Enterprise Ireland have a presence there too- it might be worthwhile asking for personal experiences from some of the DFA staff?

I've been to India (my brother married an Indian girl), and been over much of the subcontinent. A lot of the software development does seem to be situated in the Bangalore area (where they have built massive industrial parks specifically to encourage the growth of this industry in particular). Another big centre is the Delhi area. Aside from anything else- you have to remember that the salaries over there are very much smaller than they are here (which is the big incentive to outsource work over there), and there are other considerations not least of which would have to be the climate (40 days of temperatures over 45 degrees celcius with a humidity of greater than 90% in a row can sap you before you know whats happened)......

Certain areas have massive problems- Hindus and Muslims shooting and bombing each other. I read a story of several hundred being killed in a Mosque bombing and wondered why it never hit the Western media- I was told that anything under 500 was ignored. Christians are very much in the minority- its about 2% of the population, and concentrated in the Portuguese areas (Goa etc) and some coastal areas further north.

An aside- and a generalisation- I have never met more ingenious people than the Indians. I was amazed at how insurmountable problems were no trouble whatsoever to them to solve, and they couldn't be friendlier. The other big thing that I noticed, was the massive wealth that a small portion of the population have, versus the abject poverty that is on open display everywhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 pratheesh

Hi Deant, India is vast and is very diverse in almost everything (weather,language,cuisine,lifestyle). Depends upon what you want to achive by moving to India.
    If you are looking at being involved in Software Development you have a few options :
    South India
    1. Hyderabad (has been improving considerably in past few years)
    2. Bangalore (recognized worldwide for being the IT hub in India).
    3. Trivandrum or Cochin
    4. Bombay (now known as mumbai. saturated with humans :) )

North India
    1. Delhi (place called Gurgaon)

There are few other places , but the above list would be technologically superior and well established

Advertisement