Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Estates in Drogheda within walking distance of train station

Options
  • 23-06-2008 10:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hi All

thinking of buying a house in drogheda in the near future but want to buy in an estate close to train station.

Just wondering what peoples opinions of bryanstown manor are - I heard some of the apartments were damp - just wondering if anyone had any experience of this. Is it a widespread problem? Are the houses damp?

Other estates I would be interested in are martello, blackbush, meadow view, wheaton hall.....

any advice or opinions please

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 kellycallan

Would you consider renting in the area you are looking at?? We are moving to Dublin in next month or so and going to rent out our house. It is a larege 4bed detatched in a lovely estate just off Dublin Road...let me know if you are interested!

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Stealdo

Any of the other four you mention are excellent estates and a lot better than Bryanstown Manor (just my opinion), although the houses in Meadow View are a little older. Millmount Abbey is another nice one on that same strip. Martello Village and Wheaton Hall are particularly well placed with shops, pharmacies, medical centres in each. If it's specifically apartments you're thinking of then Martello is probably the one to go for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 tutti frutti

Kellycallan, I am already renting in the dublin road area but now want to buy a place of my own!

Stealdo, thanks for your reply.

Not specifically looking for an apartment - hoping to buy a house! The thing that would put me off Martello, is the lack of driveways for the houses (I know there is plenty of parking on the street outside the houses - but still!

Bryanstown Manor would probably be a last choice for me - probably cos I knew somebody who had severe damp problems in the apartments - would be afraid the houses would be the same - surely they were built in the same way as the apartments!

Anyone any experience of living in Wheaton Hall / Meadowview?? Are they quite estates are is there any trouble or bad elements in the areas? (I know no estate is perfect but still!)

Millmount looks nice (nice houses etc and near the train station) but the houses are a bit dearer than other estates around - although maybe they will drop in price with the state of the economy!!!

For a house, money aside Millmount would be my first choice, really nice feel to the estate so I'd keep a close eye on what the prices are doing. They're bigger houses than the others generally so you'll probably have that reflected in the price but also in your neighbours (not having a shot at people who live in small houses here, just a generalisation). I haven't lived in any of them so can't say for certain about any bad elements, but they all seem nice enough to be around during the day. If you were to end up going for Wheaton Hall I'd look for something slightly away from the shops because you do get kids hanging around there a bit. I've never seen any sign of trouble or felt uneasy around there mind you.

Blackbush seems like a more mature estate in terms of the people who live there more so than the houses. What would put me off Meadowview is that a chunk of it is a main road now and you're not in off the road the way you are with the others so you're more likely to get passing trouble. And as I said the houses are that bit older and might need more work. One other thing to consider is that road may get a lot busier in the next year or so. There's a new estate being built on the platin road that will have access from that side through the entrance to Rosevale. That road would be the shortest route to the train station.

Best advice you could be given on this I think is go and look at a property in each of them. Then if you've narrowed it down to one or two, go and drive around the estate a couple of times during the day and a couple of times in the evening. Mix it between week nights and evenings. See what kind of feel you get.

Thanks for your reply stealdo.

I did think that I wouldn't like the houses in Meadowview that are on the main road - if I was opting for Meadowview I would prefer one that was more in the estate! I hadn;t thought about how busy the road will get with the new estate opening on the platin road - is there going to be access through Rosevale? That would kinda but me off Rosevale as well!!

Personally, I do think that the millmount houses look nice but at the end of the day my final choice will all come down to price!

I have rented in Wheaton hall (but a few years back!) never had any problems while I was there but was wondering has it changed in the last couple of years! I have visited the shops over there last in the evenings and have noticed huge crowds of teens making lots of noise while hanging around the medical centre - presumbably if you were a bit further back in the estate this wouldn't be a problem.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭what_car

Hi All

thinking of buying a house in drogheda in the near future but want to buy in an estate close to train station.

Just wondering what peoples opinions of bryanstown manor are - I heard some of the apartments were damp - just wondering if anyone had any experience of this. Is it a widespread problem? Are the houses damp?

Other estates I would be interested in are martello, blackbush, meadow view, wheaton hall.....

any advice or opinions please

Thanks

some words of advice,

as wheaton hall is quite close to the sewerage plant, ( the field behind the estate) very frequently this smell goes round wheaton hall and is disgusting.
    ( have a look at google earth) i have experienced this smell and its really bad.
    if i had bought a house there then id be rightly pissed off. also teens gather at weekend at shopping centre, and green at front, up to mischief.

check out, roschoill, far superior built houses, and better finished off estate.
    there are 3 bed townhouses there also along with 4 & 5 bed. id say of the estates in the area, roschoill is the quietest, and as the builders actually live there too , extremely well maintained...

take a walk around both estates and you will see what i mean. bryanstown manor area is very busy with traffic, with the main road passing it by, its not bad, but not as quiet as other areas.

the sewerage smell in wheaton hall can be really strong at times, depending on wind.

what_car wrote: »
    some words of advice,

as wheaton hall is quite close to the sewerage plant, ( the field behind the estate) very frequently this smell goes round wheaton hall and is disgusting.
    ( have a look at google earth) i have experienced this smell and its really bad.
    if i had bought a house there then id be rightly pissed off. also teens gather at weekend at shopping centre, and green at front, up to mischief.

check out, roschoill, far superior built houses, and better finished off estate.
    there are 3 bed townhouses there also along with 4 & 5 bed. id say of the estates in the area, roschoill is the quietest, and as the builders actually live there too , extremely well maintained...

take a walk around both estates and you will see what i mean. bryanstown manor area is very busy with traffic, with the main road passing it by, its not bad, but not as quiet as other areas.

the sewerage smell in wheaton hall can be really strong at times, depending on wind.

Thanks for the reply

Would the smell from the sewage plant not affect Roschoill then as there isnt much distance between both estates (doesn;t look like it from the train track anyway!)? I've never been in Roschoill but its past the Boyne Valley hotel am I right?? I will head down there at the weekend to have a look around, but is it a good bit back from the main road (especially if you were living down the back of the estate near the rail line? Just wondering cos from the boyne valley it would take at least 15 mins to walk to the station - could this stretch to 20/25 if living in roschoill??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,356 ✭✭✭positron

I live in Wheaton Hall, and have experienced the stench in the air a few times over the years, but never thought it as an issue. While it is unpleasant, its not often - I can only think of a handful of evenings, over the last two-three years! I have noticed kids hanging around the green at the entrance, but never had any trouble. I live at the back of the estate where things are extremely quiet and feels very safe (really young kids out playing with their prams and dogs late into night...)

Friend's used to live in Roschoill, its felt nice and quiet, 4bed detached I have seen is nice and spacious. Mature trees and gym / hotel next door. Major drawbacks in my opinion are that there are no greens (compared to older estates like Wheaton Hall or Five Oaks), distance from the station / shops / medical practice etc.

Grangerath, while not walking distance from the station, is pretty nice imho. While its massive, with new shopping centre and round about coming up, it might be a nice estate to live in.

Martello Village / Bryanstown Manor are super convenient to the station, but is slightly crowded IMHO. But location and facilities makes up for it I think.

I suppose all estates would have its benefits and drawbacks. But which ever way you look at it, almost all of the Estates near the station are many times better than a lot of the estates in Dublin! :D

Not a bad time to be on market, assuming you have the funds / mortgage approved. Enjoy shopping! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭gipi

I'm also a Wheaton Hall resident, in the bungalows about half-way in and haven't had any problems with "undesirables"! The kids in the cul-de-sac leave their toys out in the green area in front of the houses, and as positron said, they can play till it's dark!

I have got the whiff of the sewage plant from time to time, but it was never a major issue (having lived next to farmland where slurry was spread twice a year, nothing would be a major issue!!).

I've often come home on the last train :eek:, so walked through the estate well after midnight, and didn't feel worried at all. And the estate is handy for the 101 bus from Drogheda to Dublin (via the scenic route I'm afraid, so it does take time - but it will get you to the airport!)

As you lived here before, I presume you're aware of the requirement to join the Management Company if you buy here? Just mentioning it because my solicitor omitted to tell me when I bought, and it came as a surprise when the bill dropped in! It's not much, in fairness, compared to the figures bandied about in the papers for the apartment dwellers, but it's something to be factored in.

Thanks for your reply stealdo.

I did think that I wouldn't like the houses in Meadowview that are on the main road - if I was opting for Meadowview I would prefer one that was more in the estate! I hadn;t thought about how busy the road will get with the new estate opening on the platin road - is there going to be access through Rosevale? That would kinda but me off Rosevale as well!!

Personally, I do think that the millmount houses look nice but at the end of the day my final choice will all come down to price!

I have rented in Wheaton hall (but a few years back!) never had any problems while I was there but was wondering has it changed in the last couple of years! I have visited the shops over there last in the evenings and have noticed huge crowds of teens making lots of noise while hanging around the medical centre - presumbably if you were a bit further back in the estate this wouldn't be a problem.

Have to give a +1 on Roschoill being a lovely estate, but I think you're right to wonder about the walking distance to the station. Go down and try it though - what's a stroll for one person might seem like a marathon for another.

On the new estate on Platin Road - the entrance to Rossvale opposite meadowview will have a new road going straight on where it currently takes a 90 degree turn to the right - it'll go through a green space in the Lagavoreen Manor estate (another lovely looking estate, but I don't know anything much about it) and on to the new estate. So funnily it won't actually affect Rosevale as much as it will Meadow view except for getting out of the estate in the mornings. There'll be another new road from the Duleek exit on the Motorway to Colpe Cross (beside the Europa) as part of the stadium development so it mightn't increase traffic too much, but it's being sold by the developers in that new estate (called Auverwen by the way) as a direct route to the train station.

• Advertisement

Thanks for everyones replies.

I did rent in Wheaton hall but wasn't aware there was a requirement to join the management co and pay fees - presumably my landlord looked after that.

Did take a drive down to roschoill the other day - if you were up at the front of hte estate the walk to the train wouldnt be too bad but down at the back of the estate - you're miles away!!! An exaggeration I know but still!

Is there any residents of Millmount abbey out there. The houses look nice and the area in general - but can anyone tell me if there are loads of kids/teens hanging around late at night and stuff? Is there any management fees? How well are the houses built etc??

Thanks a mill

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭EIN

positron wrote: »

Major drawbacks in my opinion are that there are no greens (compared to older estates like Wheaton Hall or Five Oaks), distance from the station / shops / medical practice etc.
    :D

there are greens in roschoill!!

have a look. also the houses in roschoill have 9ft ceilings!! and unlike wheaton hall they are dog poop free!

EIN wrote: »
    there are greens in roschoill!!

have a look. also the houses in roschoill have 9ft ceilings!! and unlike wheaton hall they are dog poop free!

May be because people from Roschoill have to come to Wheaton Hall to walk their dogs? :D - just joking...!

Now, in all seriousness, sincere apologies if I offended you with the "no greens" comment, it was immediately followed by a qualifier "compared to older estates like Wheaton Hall and Five Oaks". Here's a Google map link of the area, please do check it out.

Google Maps displaying Wheaton Hall, Roschoill, Five Oaks, Grangerath etc

Roschoill is a nice estate, no doubt about it. Peace. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭EIN

positron wrote: »
    May be because people from Roschoill have to come to Wheaton Hall to walk their dogs? :D - just joking...!

Now, in all seriousness, sincere apologies if I offended you with the "no greens" comment, it was immediately followed by a qualifier "compared to older estates like Wheaton Hall and Five Oaks". Here's a Google map link of the area, please do check it out.

Google Maps displaying Wheaton Hall, Roschoill, Five Oaks, Grangerath etc

Roschoill is a nice estate, no doubt about it. Peace. :)

no probs, there are only 130 houses in roschoill, and also no mgt fees!
    roschoill is a model estate that other developers should see how to build an estate.. the houses down the back are in a very quiet area for a town ..

they are the best built and finished off houses i have seen in drogheda in a long time..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭gipi

EIN wrote: »
    also the houses in roschoill have 9ft ceilings!! and unlike wheaton hall they are dog poop free!

My ceilings in Wheaton Hall may not be 9ft high, but I can assure you they are dog poop free....:D:D

gipi wrote: »
    My ceilings in Wheaton Hall may not be 9ft high, but I can assure you they are dog poop free....:D:D

You don't have any spider dogs then? :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=714-Ioa4XQw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 grumpy renter

Hi Anyone, who is thinking of buying or renting an apartment in Bryanstown Manor be very careful, I'm renting for 10 months in this estate & cannot wait for the lease to finish! The apartment I'm in is extremely damp, cold and cost a fortune to heat. It also cost fortune to replace clothes and shoes ruined by the damp, the landlord is aware of the problem but does not care, I contacted threshold & apparently I could lose my deposit if I leave before the lease is out, has anyone else had a similar experience

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭musicfan

Hi Anyone, who is thinking of buying or renting an apartment in Bryanstown Manor be very careful, I'm renting for 10 months in this estate & cannot wait for the lease to finish! The apartment I'm in is extremely damp, cold and cost a fortune to heat. It also cost fortune to replace clothes and shoes ruined by the damp, the landlord is aware of the problem but does not care, I contacted threshold & apparently I could lose my deposit if I leave before the lease is out, has anyone else had a similar experience

That must be the apartment I rented many moons ago in Bryanstown:D

After nagging the landlord he called in someone from the building co who said it was due to the fact I did not leave all my windows open 24 hours a day so of course the place was bound to get damp!!!!

I had to throw out bags, clothes, shoes, if I left something sitting on the bed in one of the bedrooms, a couple of days later you would see the mould growing on it. All my clothes stank and as soon as you opened the front door to the apartment, the smell was disgusting. You could see teh mold growing in the back of the wardrobes, presses and the carpet was damp.

After so much nagging and annoying the landlord he eventually agreed to let me break our lease - probably cos he couldnt listen to me moaning anymore.

Thats exactly what its like here and every where I go the smell follows me. The land lord is on holidays now so cannt get in touch with him but dampness has definately got worse over the summer,even in the kitchen there is mould growing outside the fridge door and press door. I cannt believe we did n't notice when we moved in, he must have really covered it up for rental viewings, at least if other people see this, they will be aware of what these apartments are like!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Penny1624

I wish I had seen this thread before I signed a contract to move into a flat in Bryanstown Manor this week. Now I am really worried about the dampness issue

• Advertisement

I don't think its all apartments that are like this so don't dispair, but if in a month you do notice just fight to get your deposit back because it won't improve, we got a humidifier and the fan in the apartment and it did nothing. Hopefully you will be fine, it is a lovely, peaceful, safe area and so near everything and I'd say most landlords have dry lined the walls or did something to stop dampness!

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Harry Tasker

I've heard that the ground floor apartments in Bryanstown Manor suffer a lot from damp as stated above in numerous posts. The houses are fine though, there is no dampness in the houses facing the first green.

The only problem in Bryanstown Manor is the driving. Certain residents & their visitors think it their right to come off the Crossroute and swing into Bryanstown Manor along the straight at high speed. They have no consideration for the children and families that run from the houses to the green in front.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭horse7

How well built are the Mount Auburn houses? Really liked the detached five oaks village houses,but missed out on one last year. How does the Mount Auburn estate compare to the five oaks village eg insulation, safe & quite, walking distance to train station. PS can you hear the trains from these estates?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭ssmith6287

I rented a house in Meadowview and an apartment in Wheaton Hall. Both suffered with dampness.

Meadowview was an older house with oil/fire heating which prob didn help

Wheaton hall apartments anyway where paper thin and felt like result of celtic tiger.

Either way Mould remover was used in both

ssmith6287 wrote: »
    I rented a house in Meadowview and an apartment in Wheaton Hall. Both suffered with dampness.

Meadowview was an older house with oil/fire heating which prob didn help

Wheaton hall apartments anyway where paper thin and felt like result of celtic tiger.

Either way Mould remover was used in both

So views on mount Auburn?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭ssmith6287

dont have any, never lived there.

Any mount Auburn residents advise?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 jjkale

Hi folks, any feedback (good or bad) on the Avourwen estate?

Looks like no one replies on this post any more.

• Advertisement

Just the 2 of us.

Advertisement