Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lenses breaking in my eye

• 24-06-2008 12:53am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,217 ✭✭✭

Just wanted to see if anyone else had experienced this cos it freaked me out and I don't know if it's normal/common.

I wear soft daily disposables from Vision Express and popped one in this morning. It instantly felt hard and really sore and curled in my eye ball as if it were inside out. So i went to flip it out an to my horror it had split (as if someone had cut it neatly with a scissors) and a large sliver had been left in my eye. It was really hard to see it but I could feel it and after much eye ball poking and prodding I eventually "found" it and spent 15 mins trying to get it out. Eventually I worked it into the corner of my eye and clawed it out but it was v painful.

Have never heard of this before, particularly with soft lenses. I had just put it in, it wasn't like it was in there all day and I'd been poking my eye or anything. I'm also a bit worried that maybe there's more little pieces in there that I missed, though I think my eye would be pretty swollen and sore by now if that was the case.

Anyone ever had this happen and is it common???:eek:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭CoNfOuNd

If it split in two then it's likely there was already a rip or tear in it when you put it in your eye. It'd be very unlikely that it'd split into more than two pieces. How long have you been wearing lenses?

I would tell the opticians what happened and you should get free replacements.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,217 ✭✭✭pookie82

That's the thing, i examined it pretty well on my finger before I put it in, for dust or marks, as I always do. It looked perfect until it hit my eye. I'll be double checking the batch before i put anymore in. Have been wearing lenses for about eight months now and I find them brilliant. This is the first time something like this has happened.

My eye seems fine this morn so I doubt there's any more in there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭CoNfOuNd

pookie82 wrote: »
    My eye seems fine this morn so I doubt there's any more in there!

If there was you'd soon know about it lol

When you are ordering your next batch maybe look at all the different products. There are different quality of lenses, and some may be more comfortable and also more expensive.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I had the same issue with specsavers 1 day disposable lenses,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 520 ✭✭✭5h4mr0(k

It happened to me once with one day disposable lenses. Might have torn on your fingernail?

Sore!

• Advertisement

Cut my nails short so i doubt it was that. It was probably split before hand and I just didn't see it. Just wanted to know if it had ever happened to anyone else and if so, why. It wasn't pleasant searching for the missing sliver in my eye and even less fun trying to grip it to get it out!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭kwestfan08

Something like this happened to me but just not the same as the OP.

I was playing football and the branch of a hedge caught me in the eye. the lens I had in must have had torn into about 6 or 7 pieces. Had to go to doctor on call to get them out. Painful

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭mumof2

I wear the daily soft disposable lenses too, but never had a problem like that. Only once or twice they irritated for a while but seem to be fine after a while.
    I even accidentally slept in them once and was fine!!!!:o

kwestfan08 wrote: »
    Something like this happened to me but just not the same as the OP.

I was playing football and the branch of a hedge caught me in the eye. the lens I had in must have had torn into about 6 or 7 pieces. Had to go to doctor on call to get them out. Painful

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW :eek: :eek: :eek:

mumof2 wrote: »
    I wear the daily soft disposable lenses too, but never had a problem like that. Only once or twice they irritated for a while but seem to be fine after a while.
    I even accidentally slept in them once and was fine!!!!:o

That's mad. I took mine out once and left them on my bedside locker. The next morning they had shrunk to half their original size and were rock hard. Wouldn't fancy that happening in my eyes!!!

• Advertisement

That's mad. I took mine out once and left them on my bedside locker. The next morning they had shrunk to half their original size and were rock hard. Wouldn't fancy that happening in my eyes!!!

I know, Ive seen that too - like bits of brittle glass!!!! But coming back to accidentally sleeping with them in, it was pure tiredness (the cans of beer helped with that:p), but all I noticed in the morning (aside of the fact I could see when I woke!!!) was the symptoms of a cold in my eyes. So after figuring out what was wrong - I poked the lenses out with a lot of difficulty as they had moved around a bit but the "cold" in the eyes cleared by the end of the next day after resting the eyes i.e. not wearing lenses...........so all in all nothing happened really.

I think ive decided too, im not going to do the laser treatment. Its not worth the hassle of something going wrong, when I can wear lenses every day without a bother. And im not a lucky person, so something is bound to go wrong with my luck.........

I'm thinking of having the laser done as I know quite a few people now who've had it done and would never go back. Plus i have very sensitive eyes and can't wear lenses every day. Was on hols a month ago for a week and it was such a pain having to ration my lens wearing so I didn't get sore eyes (I had a wedding at the end of the week and needed to be able to wear them for that). It's no fun sitting by the pool with regular glasses on and no sun protection. And when i DID wear lenses to wear my sun glasses I couldn't get my eyes wet in the pool!!! Way too much hassle!!! Just gotta wait to raise the cash now..... But I can see why it's not for everyone and I guess there is the chance of somethin going wrong.

oooooooohhhhhhhh, being able to swim without worrying about losing lenses or not being able to see without glasses - thats a dream!!

apparently you can get prescription goggles if you really want to enjoy swimming and seeing at the same time. I'm a nightmare without my glasses/lenses can't see two inches in front of me. Would be a danger in a packed pool!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

apparently you can get prescription goggles if you really want to enjoy swimming and seeing at the same time. I'm a nightmare without my glasses/lenses can't see two inches in front of me. Would be a danger in a packed pool!!!

had them when i was younger and was learning how to swim,they were expensive to buy as i remember

Was just gonna ask, does anyone know how expensive these things actually are? Cause if its that much, im gonna stick to what I do now: wear lenses swimming and goggles over so I cant lose them!! I love swimming underwater and do alot of lane swimming under.....so I do need to see!!!!!!:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 x-xRaCheLx-x

i've had the shattering happen more than once, i've found it can be caused by a number of things; torn fingernails, putting them in too fast (as in not placing them gently in your eye, more kinda just popping them on) blinking when contact is just about in your eye and sometimes just bad luck!

I've used focus dailies for 4 years now but am thinking about changing as they irritate my eyes for the first 10minutes of wear, like seriously irritate them and the shattering thing happens at least once a month... although thats my own fault more than anything!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

That happened to me yesterday!
    (Specsavers daily disposables)
    Went to take out the lens - only to pinch out half a lens:eek:
    que much mirror gazing to locate the other half, couldnt see it but could feel it in there.
    eventually I push it to the middle of my eye and pinched it out as usual.
    Left the eye a bit sore and watery obv.
    My tip is; keep fishing!:p

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

jackncoke wrote: »
    had them when i was younger and was learning how to swim,they were expensive to buy as i remember

Nope they aren't expensive.

http://www.aquagoggles.com/ have been recommended to me though I have not got around to buying them yet.

Advertisement