Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Using BoI Student ATM in Europe/Budgeting Interrail

• 24-06-2008 1:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

has anyone had any experience with this?
    I'd like to know if I can use my ATM card anywhere in Europe. I'm not sure if it is CIRRUS as I have one of those completely blank replacement cards from BoI.

So does anyone know if ALL atm cards will work in europe?

Also, how did people take money with them while interrailing? I'm thinking about taking 200/300euro in cash (spending money) and leaving the rest on the ATM for further use. Is this viable?

The last part of my question is about daily budgeting on interrail trip.
    can anyone put up details about how they budgeted their daily expenses? is 50 euro per day enough?

(typing finger now exhausted...)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭taram

Ring the bank, they should be able to tell you what type of card you have. I last tried to use my BOI student ATM in 2004, didn't work, so got a Cirrus card. May be different now. Ask the bank also about countries, there might be certain banks that you can use it with, as was my friend's case in Italy.

Depends how long you're going for, what your lifestyle is, where you're going (Paris prices versus Prague etc). I destroyed my budget, due to an extra month abroad. Definitly worth it though, was lucky I could fall back on savings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

Sounds like your card probably won't work. My brother has one of those blank cards with no symbols and they don't work abroad. Go into bank and get a replacement card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭raemie21

Best getting a Cirrus card - the symbol is two blue connected circles at the back. You can definitely request one from your bank and have it in a few days.
    So maybe initially about hundred euro to bring and then you'll have access to ATMs so no need to carry big notes around. Worth considering aswell if you're heading to a lot of Eastern Europe that you'll be charged exchange rate every time you go to the ATM - on one of my trips a few years back, the cost for the transactions over six weeks was fifty euro - okay not going to bankrupt me but in the overall picture, could have spent that fifty euro on a day trip to Dubrovnik from Split for example :(
    Daily budget will depend on where you are - fifty euro a day including accomodation is probably a good average. Without sounding patronising, just be aware that it all adds up - four weeks at fifty euro a day is 1400 already!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭raheny red

Sorry to hijack the thread.

I'm heading inter railing in a few weeks time around central and eastern Europe. I'm using an AIB Maestro Laser card - should that be fine for me whilst I'm abroad? Cheers :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,273 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Yeah Maestro or Cirrus work at most ATM Machines

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Eilismoran

Im going inter railing in August to the following cities Copenhagen, Malmo, Berlin, Prague,Krakow, Budapest, Split/Hvar/Dubrovnik, Innbruck, Munic, Amsterdam and Brussels - i will be gone for about 28 days, is ti realistic to survive on a budget of €50 a day including accom in those cities??

Any info much appreciated or hostels to stay in.

Advertisement