Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Opening ports on Netopia router issue

• 24-06-2008 1:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

Hey all,

Hoping you all can help me on this regard! Wasn't sure if this would more suitable in here or the PS3 forum, but I figure here is good for such a thing!

To the root of my problem. I've been struggling to get online with my PS3 and I believe it's down to the fact I don't have certain ports opened. Now I've tried looking into my router and to be honest, I just get lost in there.

I have got the Netopia 3347WG router. She's quite an old piece that my family got originally when he hooked up with Eircom for broadband. Since then, there has been a move to BT and then on to Perlico, so I don't know if ringing up their customer support would be of any use. There seems to be zero support for the router on the router page I upload either.

I figure it has something to do with port forwarding, but no-where I look on the net seems to give advice on mine. I have tried inputing figures into 'NAT' section which is to do with games, but nothing I do seems to work. So I wonder if I'm doing something wrong with the way I am imputing data.

As I said above, I figure my problem has to do with not having the ports opened. I've been playing games for years online with my PC and even to this day I have no problem with some games just hopping on.

It's just really been with the PS3. I had Rainbow Six: Las Vegas 2 and when I tried to connect it wouldn't be able to connect with any server. GTAIV, I would fall out of the connection, although if I hosted a game, it worked.
    With FIFA08, I only seem to be able to do the 'Be a Pro' in which I'm connected with others. But I notice that it forcable pauses me at times during the game. I figure that is due to lost connection and it tries to re-connect me.
    Today I've been trying to hook Metal Gear Online and can't get an option to play because it says to me about having been "Unable to conduct UDP Port Check." Using the PortChecker that is available I got told that the UDP is blocked so. That is what has my line of thinking!

Anyway, I know that seems like allot of stuff above, but I figure the more imformation I give, the more chance someone might have of helping me out! Any tidbits would be much obliged

Regards!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭darraghrogan

The quick two-step solution is:

1.Upgrade firmware through the router's web-interface page (prob: http://192.168.1.254)

2. Enable UPnP

There was guy asking about this a few eeeks ago here if you run a search...

Darragh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 philliecullen

Yeah I did the search function and found that, but he only seemed to be having an issue with hosting. That and I tried his method and it had no joy for me.

The UPnP is enabled, that was on as standard and according to my router, she is up to full date. Although any of the other links are broken on it, all leading to a netopia.ie page that no longer exists.

sounds a little like your router msay be acting up...have you tried holding down the reset button to wipe the programming? I'd try that, but make sure you know your perlico broadband username & password & isp connection details before (a screenshot is always handy)

After that-you may be able to update the firmware further...

Darragh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 288 ✭✭gordonnet

netopia.ie no longer works as you have said, replacing it with netopia.com will connect to the eircom firmware update page.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭-annex-

• Advertisement

this page has the relevant firmware lists:

http://www.netopia.com/equipment/purchase/fmw_update_intl.html

Darragh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 philliecullen

That seemed to work, at least partially for me!

It got GTA working fine for me, allowing me to join games as opposed to been the host go work for me. Wasn't quite as successful on the others, but it's a start so! I can at least go back to the gaming forums since you guys have given me the common sense route on trying to open ports up!

Just one last final question, in regards to open ports - is it essitenal to have a static IP, or is it just optional?

Advertisement