Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

rumours,

Options
  • 24-06-2008 7:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭

ive heard yet another rumour about if tesco will be coming to kilkenny,this rumour says that the new dunnes in macdonagh junction shopping center is closing cos they cant afford it,and that tesco will take their place,any one know if there is any truth to this?id love a tesco here,i think they are way better than dunnes.much better value

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Well i do know the dunnes up there are doing no business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 584 ✭✭✭aidankk

the only thing is i think dunnes own the shop and if that is the case there is no chance of them selling it to Tesco

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭*melanie*

aidankk wrote: »
    the only thing is i think dunnes own the shop and if that is the case there is no chance of them selling it to Tesco
    mmmm...well that crashes my hopes then doesnt it?!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

*melanie* wrote: »
    mmmm...well that crashes my hopes then doesnt it?!!
    Nope, I thought they were putting it in the cattle mart?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭*melanie*

Plug wrote: »
    Nope, I thought they were putting it in the cattle mart?
    well i heard that too,do u think its true?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

If Dunnes own anything they'd rather go bankrupt than sell it to anyone else

• Registered Users Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭highgiant1985

If Dunnes own anything they'd rather go bankrupt than sell it to anyone else

Saw the thread title and was really hoping this thread was going to be like the simpsons episdode where Homor starts his own webpage and posts rumors about people in the town :P

On topic though feck I'd love to see a tesco's in kilkenny half my time in college was spent in tesco ah the memories... :rolleyes:. Can't believe ye have 3 dunnes (actually 2 now is it?) and not 1 tesco...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Purry Cat

I'd imagine Dunnes will stay in McDonagh Junction simply in order to have a presence on that side of the city. Tesco had been linked with the Citymart place, but that's at least two years away yet.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Dunnes won't close, watch and see :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

Tesco don't really go into shopping centres where there's pay parking. They tend to set up in larger areas, often on their own.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

You only have to look at the setup in Clonmel. Out of town and they are on their own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭Henne220

Although they got refused They'll come to callan. What big companies like them want, they'll get. It Will probably just take longer than they anticipated.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Only one Keano

Unfortunately Tesco unlikely to go into Mart as rumour is they are under big financial problems and looking for another partner so this is unlikely to go ahead in forseeable future. It looks like we're stuck with Dunnes!

Well, all you have to do is look at McDonagh Junction. The Dunnes in there is never busy any time I'm in it. They're clearly not selling a lot of perishable food either - only today I was looking at bread and there was a lot of it which was best before tomorrow (or even today or yesterday by the time you read this :D ) Either the shopping centre is in a bad place (maybe it is - I'm not an expert on retail location) or Kilkenny's over-saturate with supermarkets.

With the economy going a bit wobbly at the moment, it's not the time for the likes of Tesco to be setting up either. Pity - one Dunnes in Kilkenny is plenty.

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

Overall it is probably more profitable for Dunnes to have a 3rd loss-making store in Kilkenny than to have the competition of a Tescos which would probably take business from the other 2 Dunnes'.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭smiddyboy

It seems to me that it would make more sense to have something along the lines of a Marks and Spencers in McDonagh. They are not a direct competitor when it comes to regular 'cheap' food (bread, milk etc.) as most people would go to Dunnes to get their regular weekly shop and then go to M&S for luxuries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

Firetrap wrote: »
    Well, all you have to do is look at McDonagh Junction. The Dunnes in there is never busy any time I'm in it. They're clearly not selling a lot of perishable food either.

I lost track of how many times I got moldy bread from there. The Junction would be doing alot better if they had a different main store [Before i left for NY last week every store in the place had a sale 30-50% or more off signs in the windows]

It was a ill conceived project.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭KatCookie

Bond-007 wrote: »
    It was a ill conceived project.
    .. made up by people who could only see the chance of making a quick profit..
    i'd love to see a bowling alley there, and yes, i mean in place of Dunnes Stores.. just sound-proof it and it would be grand!

I hope we see that bowling alley. I've been looking at those "Coming Soon" signs on it for a long time. I do like the idea of turning that Dunnes into the bowling alley. Or a swimming pool :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭smiddyboy

Or a swimming pool :)

Or a cinema!

A cinema for adults. Let the kids use the other one.

A cinema for adults.
    People could get the wrong idea. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭highgiant1985

Bond-007 wrote: »
    People could get the wrong idea. ;)

haha true! Yeah a cinema that actually showd all the films that come out would be great. Its **** that the current one is missing out on so many films. even this week as far as Im aware Wall-e is out on general release nationwide but it isn't being shown in kilkenny due to the stupid argument with one of the suppliers.

There lots of films theyve missed out on, the likes of sex and the city (no interest myself but it did get alot of big crowds everywhere else), 30 days and nights etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭KatCookie

What really bothers me is that fact that i alwasy go to the cinema on a friday, i think ive gone to the cinema ONCE not on a friday, in the past.. 4 years..?.. and the times for the week end on Thursday and a new schedule begins on Friday.. the amount of times i've had to see a different movie because of the times change is huge!

As far as I know, films do switch over on Fridays everywhere, not just in Kilkenny. I didn't know they weren't showing Wall-E though :mad:

Shortage of prints is the usual reason or a row with the distributor over royalties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

I heard it was the royalaties thing and also they refuse to upgrade their systems to whats needed

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

If they had upgraded to digital then they could never use the "shortage of prints" excuse when it suits them :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Purry Cat

Kat Cookie,
    Why don't you just look at the paper (or the internet or Aertel) before you go to find out what films are actually on? This is not exactly rocket science.

Advertisement