Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Election

Options
  • 24-06-2008 7:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭

In light of the government's abject failure to get the Lisbon referendum passed, the rising prices, rising unemployment, impending recession and possible rerun of Lisbon, is it now time for a general election?

What do people think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The government is still stable, so why would they call a general election?

A general election is only required when we need to select a new government.

The only way to force it would be to put pressure on FF's partners to withdraw from the Government.

Thing is, the Greens know that this is their only shot at government - just like the PD's, when this stint is over, the greens will be demolished. So I think it's unlikely that they would withdraw. Although the greens are painfully moral, so they could surprise me yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

I think the greens will do well in the next election....they have morals and stick to them (mostly!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Jim_Are_Great

What makes you think the Green lads are doomed, Seamus?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

seamus wrote: »
    Although the greens are painfully moral, so they could surprise me yet.

Well after haranguing FF for months and denouncing Bertie for his 'unorthodox' personal finances, they then went into government with him and voted full confidence in him. I'm certainly expecting no surprises!!! :D
    daheff wrote: »
    I think the greens will do well in the next election....they have morals and stick to them (mostly!)

I gave them a preference on the basis that they would not be going into government with FF, and I suspect that alot of others did too. Suffice to say they won't be getting a preference next time!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 400 ✭✭ruskin

Whats the point in having an election? Fianna Fail could be a group of murdering, serial rapists and they would still be overwhelmingly voted back into power. They are untouchable. No wonder they have such contempt and ignorance towards the Irish public

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

What makes you think the Green lads are doomed, Seamus?
    Well, the PD's got hammered at the last one. And in 2007, our economy was still looking pretty good, but the PDs got hammered by their supporters for not giving more stick to FF and sorting out the usual issues.

By the time the next GE comes around, the economy will be in the ****ter and the Greens will be sacrificed by their supporters for not fighting fianna fail more on policy. FF only get in because of a strong constant support base. It would seem that most of the rest of the parties are supported by less loyal citizens, willing to change to those who make promises. FG have a constant support base, but it's nowhere near the size of FF's.

Anyone else think that Sinn Féin could do well in the next GE?

If they run a better campaign than last time of course... For starters, leave Gerry Adams out completely. Involve Pearse Doherty alot!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Dave! wrote: »
    Anyone else think that Sinn Féin could do well in the next GE?

If they run a better campaign than last time of course... For starters, leave Gerry Adams out completely. Involve Pearse Doherty alot!
    sf think they can,dunno about anyone else.they may pick up a few seats but still be less than ten imo.we are well off an election though so there's feck all accuracy to anyone's predictions imo (including my own).

• Registered Users Posts: 24,075 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Do you think that Libertas will be in the mix by the time that Brian Cowen has been completely afflicted by the Gordon Brown syndrome and a GE is in the offing?

sf think they can,dunno about anyone else.they may pick up a few seats but still be less than ten imo.we are well off an election though so there's feck all accuracy to anyone's predictions imo (including my own).
    Yeah probs true, there's still ample opportunity for people to f*ck up or redeem themselves :) FG could get a new leader for example ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The next election is going to be put of to the last possible moment. FF will be praying long and hard that the recession is short and slight so they can catch the upswing and show how good they were in reviving the economy. Or it'll still be go-slow and FF will paint FG/Lab as a coalition not capable of making hard decisions (see 1982-1987).

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Jim_Are_Great

seamus wrote: »
    By the time the next GE comes around, the economy will be in the ****ter and the Greens will be sacrificed by their supporters for not fighting fianna fail more on policy. FF only get in because of a strong constant support base. It would seem that most of the rest of the parties are supported by less loyal citizens, willing to change to those who make promises.

I see your point. But I would be very surprised if Fianna Fáil don't suffer a lot of backlash for their economic (and various other) blunders. Obviously, corruption and financial controversies, substantiated or otherwise, may well adversely affect FF's credibility. No comperable matters will affect the Greens. And if there's one thing that the past number of weeks have taught us, it's that loyal party-voters aren't always entirely willing to play ball.
    ejmaztec wrote: »
    Do you think that Libertas will be in the mix by the time that Brian Cowen has been completely afflicted by the Gordon Brown syndrome and a GE is in the offing?
    I hope to Christ not. I can't see what sort of general policy they would espouse, unless they styled themselves as some sort of UKIP deal. I did read an article by Ganley, written in times of pre-Lisbon fame, that described his plans to form a political party which opposes the status quo of 'Europe'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

ruskin wrote: »
    Whats the point in having an election? Fianna Fail could be a group of murdering, serial rapists and they would still be overwhelmingly voted back into power. They are untouchable. No wonder they have such contempt and ignorance towards the Irish public

completly agree
    most irish people dont vote on present issues , they vote for whoever there parents , grand parents etc did

btw , i think sinn fein are going to do very well at the next election , i know they were predicted to do well the last time too but the economy was still sound in most peoples minds then
    parties like sinn fein tend to do well when the economy is in the tank

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭ateam

ruskin wrote: »

So you seriously believe the Irish government hate the public? What a ridiculous post. You've insulted the 41% of people who voted for FF.

I don't think Sinn Fein will not do well unless they change some of their policies. Even in working class communities they realise the futility of some of their policies like a return to privitisation etc. Plus the 4 Sinn Fein TDs lack complete charisma and energy. What example do they provide!

The Greens proved they are just like everybody else by going into government with FF (not that I have a problem with that, I just think they showed themselves up).

And there's no public mood for an election, we don't want elections as soon as there's a problem.

Advertisement