Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bolognese Sauce.

• 24-06-2008 8:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭

First off I'd like to say a big thank you to all the people who offered tips on cooking the perfect Sirloin Steak yesterday - it was absolutely delicious !!

Now I'm looking for people's ideas on a classic Bolognese Sauce.

I ususally make it with:

Tinned Tomatoes
    Puree
    Red Wine
    Onion
    Garlic
    Oregano
    Sugar

I've also made an alternative sauce with Cream and Gorgonzola cheese mmmmmmm.

be good to hear some other recipe's on this as looking for a new take on it for tonights dinner.

Thanks.

EireEV

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Hi

Also some additional ingredients I like to use

what about the other two parts of the holy trinity carrot and celery?

some pancetta/smoke bacon is also very good, Basil and fresh basil just at the end for flavor and nutmeg is very good, along with a little milk

enjoy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Grated carrot can be good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

"Real" bolognaise sauce is a bit complex. Pancetta, veal mince and twelve hours simmering anyone?
    "Fake" bolognaise is a bit easier, and the more fake the easier. In this case, no veal mince (used lamb instead), no pancetta (used salami instead), no red wine (herself doesn't like the taste), and only an hour's simmering, and stole the nam pla and vinegar idea from blumenthal:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=56337725&postcount=862
    Some pseudo-bolognaise ragu with linguine.
    Three onions, finely minced + three carrots, finely chopped + three stalks of celery, finely chopped, cooked over a low heat in the pan with olive oil and butter until the onion was nicely yellow and everything was softened. Then into a pot.
    250g each of minced beef (round steak), minced lamb and minced pork, into the pan at a high heat to brown. Broken up as it browned, and the liquid poured off once (The meat was frozen so it was mostly water and you want it fried, not stewed). When it looked nicely browned, added in about two inches of salami, chopped finely. Fried for another three or four minutes. (Had no pancetta or veal mince, hence pseudo-bolognaise). When that was done, threw it into the pot with the onion and carrot and celery, added a cup and a half of milk, stirred and left it on a medium heat. Sirred it once or twice while waiting for the milk to reduce down.
    Meanwhile, added a half-pint of beef stock (cheated, used two stock cubes in half a pint of water) to the pan to deglaze. Left that reduce, after adding two teaspoons of nam pla and a tablespoon of rioja vinegar (didn't have red wine vinegar or sherry vinegar). Left the pan on medium heat for the reducing.
    When the milk had reduced away to nearly nothing (draw spoon across bottom of pot, if you can see the bottom and not much liquid shows up for two or three seconds, it's ready), added the now-reduced stock, a tin of chopped tomatoes, about a tablespoon of tomato puree, stirred and then left it for ten minutes to settle on a low heat. If you don't mind the taste of alcohol, you'd add a good glass of red wine and let it reduce away (same as for the milk) first.
    Washed pan and bowls and knives and stuff (easy brownie points )
    After ten minutes, added salt (everything was unseasoned to this point), pepper, oregano and ground coriander to the pot. Stirred, then left it to simmer for a good hour (six or seven hours would really be better, topping up with water every so often).
    Make linguini as per instructions, serve with ragu on top.
    Yum.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Minder wrote: »
    another candidate for a super mega merge sticky thread?

Definitely - I think most of us have posted our own recipes by now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Definitely - I think most of us have posted our own recipes by now.

Maybe it time for a Boards Bolognese cook off:)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I like the idea of the mega-merges, but I don't want to have too many stickies up top. Let me see what I can do :).

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

We just need 1 sticky called 'Mega Recipies' or something and within it references all the mega-threads about steak, Bolognese, etc...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Ponster wrote: »
    We just need 1 sticky called 'Mega Recipies' or something and within it references all the mega-threads about steak, Bolognese, etc...

Done.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Faith wrote: »

If only my wife was as reactive as you :p

• Advertisement
Advertisement