Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

immersion Problem this AM

Options
  • 24-06-2008 8:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys
    OK i am a DIY novice (scrub that i know nothing) So my issue is this.
    Woke up this morning and went to switch on the immersion with the On/Off Switch as normal. Only this time i heard a slight crackle and the boiler did not come on?
    Ii take it my On/Off Switch or immersion is shafted.

Is it easy enough to replace the switch, If the switch is not the issue will i need a new immersion boiler? how much (approx) for this and fitting?

Can anybody advise or suggest someone in Ashbourne to have a look and fix for me?

cheers
    Darren

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

BrookieD wrote: »
    Hi Guys
    OK i am a DIY novice (scrub that i know nothing) So my issue is this.
    Woke up this morning and went to switch on the immersion with the On/Off Switch as normal. Only this time i heard a slight crackle and the boiler did not come on?
    Ii take it my On/Off Switch or immersion is shafted.

Is it easy enough to replace the switch, If the switch is not the issue will i need a new immersion boiler? how much (approx) for this and fitting?

Can anybody advise or suggest someone in Ashbourne to have a look and fix for me?

cheers
    Darren

Assuming you mean the wall switch, the sound you mention is most likely to be the result of a loose wiring connection in the switch. Immersers take a lot of power, so such a connection will likely burn out the switch terminals. Easy enough to replace provided that you buy one of the same rating, and it will fit the patress box since they are all standard. However, you will need to look carefully at the wires and make sure that they are not burned, and you will need to make sure that you make the connections to the new switch the right way round. The terminals will be marked "L" for live (red wire) "N" for neutral (blue wire) and there will be a separate terminal on the casing marked "E" (or what looks like a down pointing arrow) for earth. The earth wire is usually bare copper without any insulation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

Take the cover off the immersion and test the black and brown cable terminals with a phase tester.
    Obviously the phase tester will light up when either the black/brown ,bath/sink is switched on.

Advertisement