Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glounthaune Midleton track laying underway

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

I do not understand. What is the issue with the bridge. It is very attractive and functional and visually enhances the location?
    Indeed, I'd be much more concerned about the three aliens in the car behind!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Theres nothing wrong with it now as its quite a nice bridge - the issue was that there were really no plans as to what type of bridge it was to be, and that everyone was worried it would be a hacking great concrete lump that would block the view of Cork from the east.

Nothing wrong with the bridge now though, looks very good actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bogger77

Chris,
    have you spotted the road surface damage on the railway side of the road, as you head towards Tivoli. Looks like the road foundations have been weakened along that section, maybe due to water penetration?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

I took a short video showing the bridge from the train home today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Nostradamus

deRanged wrote: »

Thanks for that. It's a very well made and attractive little bridge. Are they going to retain the cast iron footbridge beside it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

Are they going to retain the cast iron footbridge beside it?

No. They are moving it to Charlestown.:D

Well Clonsilla got the Midleton Bridge.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭IIMII

DWCommuter wrote: »
    It did?

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Typewriter

DWCommuter wrote: »
    No. They are moving it to Charlestown.:D

Are you sure? According to eiretrains.com the bridge at Clonsilla came from the Rosslare line.

http://eiretrains.com/Photo_Gallery/C/Clonsilla/slides/DSC05685.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Listowel footbridge on the North Kerry line went somewhere in the Dublin suburban area......my memory for such important detail is fading!

In the late 1980s I spotted a platform seat in Kilkenny station with the name Valentia visible under the paintwork. This sort of recycling would be frowned upon by today's throw away and outsource everything CIE/IE management.

Reminds of a time some years ago when Paul Conlon, CIE's then Chairman said that Inchicore Works was going to be a centre of engineering excellence and do all sorts of outside contracting work .....now they can't even build a bloody tea trolley there but I am wandering way off topic here...time for bed.. :D zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭IIMII

I remember reading that the turntable aparatus from Kilmessan ended up in Clare in the 1960s. Where exactly is gone from my head, but it is interesting to see stuff shifted like that, particularly as many of those kinds of pieces were / are antiques themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭dmeehan

nice video clip!
    <wishful thinking>wouldn't it be nice if they continued the bridge out across the Lee to the other side of the river </wishful thinking> :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bogger77

dmeehan wrote: »
    nice video clip!
    <wishful thinking>wouldn't it be nice if they continued the bridge out across the Lee to the other side of the river </wishful thinking> :D
    and wipe out the grain unloading facilities?

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Eiretrains

Apologies from Eiretrains, the footbridge at Clonsilla did come from Listowel, Co.Kerry, I've corrected the mistake There are so many examples of footbridges been reloacted it gets confusing, I don't know how I said DSER, it's certainly not at all like one, must have been tired when I wrote that.:o

I thought Clonsilla got their's from Kerry?

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Eiretrains

murphaph wrote: »
    I thought Clonsilla got their's from Kerry?
    Yes sorry, it's actually Kerry, came from Listowel, while the one at Midleton went to Ashtown, which was replaced some years ago itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,792 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Maynooth's former bridge was also appropriated from somewhere, it was replaced when the station was re-done as I believe it was too low for electrification - a problem sorted in Clonsilla by having the bridge start off some concrete steps isn't it?

I'd be interested in knowing where the Maynooth, Clonsilla, etc bridges from the first time out went to!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

I seem to remember that Maynooth footbridge may have come from Monasterevan on Dublin/Cork line but can't be positive. :)

MYOB wrote: »
    Maynooth's former bridge was also appropriated from somewhere, it was replaced when the station was re-done as I believe it was too low for electrification - a problem sorted in Clonsilla by having the bridge start off some concrete steps isn't it?
    That's correct. If you look closely at the first 5 or so steps and associated ballustrade/handrail you can see they are new and designed to match the original ironwork which as you say sits up on concrete legs to get the height required for electrification. It's quite elegant how it's done IMO. Much nicer than a manky new footbridge like at Coolmine.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Topic? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

Victor wrote: »
    Topic? :)

Easy tiger. Have you seen this thread lately? Its about as relevent as a hooker to a man with no penis!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=141318&page=123

I know Boards was featured on Capital D tonight, but honestly, hype doesn't always have to be believed in.:D

• Advertisement

back on topic then, two new short videos.
    the view on the inside of the tracks where the new bridge is and the level crossing that's being replaced.

both taken on the Cobh/Cork train this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭bg07

back on topic then, two new short videos.
    the view on the inside of the tracks where the new bridge is and the level crossing that's being replaced.

both taken on the Cobh/Cork train this morning.

When are they automating the level crossings on the Maynooth line? Given how busy the line is, it's ridiculous that they are still manual.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,792 ✭✭✭✭L1011

bg07 wrote: »
    When are they automating the level crossings on the Maynooth line? Given how busy the line is, it's ridiculous that they are still manual.

I think they're investigating grade seperating some of them rather than automation. Some were automated in the past decade but the ones on busier roads were sort of ignored.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭alancork

Does anyone know when the line is going to open?

Just read on the Irish Times website that Noel Dempsey was in Midleton yesterday, along with the first Commuter train since the 1960's.

How long does testing etc. take?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

alancork wrote: »
    Does anyone know when the line is going to open?

Just read on the Irish Times website that Noel Dempsey was in Midleton yesterday, along with the first Commuter train since the 1960's.

How long does testing etc. take?

Gauging tests began yesterday; July is the touted opening date but quite when?:confused:

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/first-train-will-depart-at-645am--some-day-92675.html

THE first train leaving Cork for Midleton will depart from platform one at 6.45am - only trouble is nobody knows on what day that will be.

A press conference organised by Minister for Transport Noel Dempsey descended into farce yesterday when he announced the timetable for the €75 million Cork-Midleton commuter rail service. He couldn't say on what date the trains would roll.

Iarnród Éireann brought a special train down to Midleton station for the minister's photoshoot.

He got in it with FF camp followers and Iarnród Éireann officials.

The engines revved and it looked like they were all off for a little spin. But the train remained stationary until the minister disembarked a short time later.

Unfortunately, according to an Iarnród Éireann spokesman, "the train wasn't certified to carry passengers".

The company spokesman said it's hoped the service will start rolling sometime in July. But he, too, couldn't provide a date.

On numerous occasions during the past few years both Mr Dempsey and his predecessor at the department, the late Seamus Brennan, have been up and down the track emphasising to everybody who will listen that the train is coming.

Mr Dempsey described the timetable announcement as "an important landmark". He said the service would allow thousands of people to enjoy a stress-free rail journey.

When the service does get up and running there will be 20 trains each way daily. Trains will run every 30 minutes at peak time and every hour at off-peak from Monday to Friday.

Sixteen trains will operate each way on Saturdays, with eight on Sundays.

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

Photos of yesterday here:

http://finbarrsrailwayphotos.fotopic.net/p58500530.html

And just to recap, Midleton re-opening was first announced in early 2004. Its taken over 5 years to reopen 13km of track & 2 stations. Proposed stations at Dunkettle & on the Mallow line failed to materialise. What a result. FF have certainly 'delivered' in Cork.

I am curious as to what will happen to Midletons bus service once this line opens, seeing as 30 buses were withdrawn from Cork recently will the towns bus services be scaled back and buses deployed elsewhere or what?.

I'm kicking myself that I missed the train heading down the line. I really want to catch the first passenger train, even if that means an early start.

anyway, two new videos.
    The first is a new look at the new overbridge - I can't see how it will be ready all that soon.

The second is a look at the old goods yard at North Esk. You can see in the opening few seconds where the track connecting the yard to the line has been taken up.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Typewriter

I was in Midleton station today and took a few photos with my phone...

http://denvia534.blogspot.com/2009_06_01_archive.html

I spoke to the conductor on the Cobh/Cork train this morning.
    There's still no official opening date, the drivers for the new line aren't yet appointed. The station in Midleton will be unmanned, so ticket machines there and in Carrig. No conductors apparently.
    Obviously this isn't concrete.

And, another look at the new bridge on the lower glanmire road. I wonder does it need to be finished before the line is open?

• Advertisement

ok - July is the day after tomorrow. Still no word on when exactly the line will open. The lower glanmire road overbridge is far from finished..

Advertisement