Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL broadband + Wireless router

Options
  • 24-06-2008 9:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭

A friend is getting NTL BB soon and I told them to ask for a wireless router.

Now I will be installing a desktop with no wireless nic on it, and the installation may be away from the router.

My question is what brand of router do NTL provide now a days and do they include a USB wireless nic for desktops ?

If not what USB nic do you recommend to best match the router ( I know anyone will work ) but sometimes the routers have proprietary turbo speeds..

TIA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭spoon

Yeah, if needed the tech will have a Wireless nic. They use a Netgear WG111 as far as im aware.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭SadisticSilence

zod wrote: »
    A friend is getting NTL BB soon and I told them to ask for a wireless router.

Now I will be installing a desktop with no wireless nic on it, and the installation may be away from the router.

My question is what brand of router do NTL provide now a days and do they include a USB wireless nic for desktops ?

If not what USB nic do you recommend to best match the router ( I know anyone will work ) but sometimes the routers have proprietary turbo speeds..

TIA

They dish out a Netgear.. I don't know the actual model off by heart, but I'll check it when i get home (if someone doesn't beat me to it)

As far as I know, it runs 802.11a/b/g so if you pick up a nic running any of them, you should be fine. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭zod

spoon wrote: »
    Yeah, if needed the tech will have a Wireless nic. They use a Netgear WG111 as far as im aware.

Are you saying that a technician will normally arrive to install the BB ? and will provide a USB nic if required .. if so is that with a standard install or if you ask for an assisted install ?

thanks

The technician arrived yesterday and didn't leave a USB nic for the desktop .. anyone know where I could pick one up cheap in the city center tomorrow?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

a usb NIC ? do you mean a USB adapter or a internal wireless NIC ? Sorry i might be wrong here..
    dixons have good stuff from my experience

• Advertisement

nuxxx wrote: »
    a usb NIC ? do you mean a USB adapter or a internal wireless NIC ? Sorry i might be wrong here..
    dixons have good stuff from my experience

If you mean USB network adapter then yes. Dixons have good stuff .. ok thanks.

To be more specific.. anyone buy a cheap USB network wireless G adapter recently in the city center ? where and how much. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

I'd call UPC and complain, if I were you..

If you've been offered a wireless router a part of your install, the installer is supposed to also supply a USB wireless adapter for your PC - if you don't already have one.

bought one for €19 in max burns

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭SadisticSilence

benifa wrote: »
    I'd call UPC and complain, if I were you..

If you've been offered a wireless router a part of your install, the installer is supposed to also supply a USB wireless adapter for your PC - if you don't already have one.

Only if they state that they will... They don't have to

Advertisement