Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need Help urgently

Options
  • 24-06-2008 9:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭

Just got my results back im doing a ba in arts. i only have 40 credits but have two E's and a Ng.

firstly how can you compensate the E's. whats the criteria and secondly will I be able to start my final year and repeat these.

Also whats aisling o grady's email and who should i contact.

thanks

spence

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Noodledoodle

Sorry to hear about your results ... as far as I can gather you can't go on to the next stage unless you have 50 credits which would mean you have to repeat the stage. You should def talk to your prog advisor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Économiste Monétaire

Why can't you just use the search function to find the numerous other threads about exam failures. That type of laziness is probably why you failed.

You cannot proceed to your next stage without 50 credits completed.
    If you have not passed 50 credits in your stage, you do not have enough credits to progress to the next stage and you must register to repeat your stage. This means:
    1) You will have to repeat or substitute the modules that you did not pass
    2) You will retain credits for the modules that you did pass
    3) The entire stage is treated as a separate attempt at completing the requirements of the stage

Compensation:
    COMPENSATION IN UNDERGRADUATE PROGRAMMES

5.9 Compensation will apply within all stages of UCD undergraduate programmes.

5.10 The decisions of the Programme Examination Board with regard to compensation will be based on the students’ overall performance as expressed by their grade point average (GPA) for the attempt at the stage. This is referred to as the compensation GPA. The compensation GPA is the weighted average of the grade points awarded for all modules from the approved programme of study for that stage which have been taken during that attempt at the stage, where the grade point for each module is weighted by the credit value of the module.

5.11 Where a student has completed an attempt at a stage and has obtained passing grades (including an I grade) in modules accounting for 75% or more of the total credit required to successfully complete the stage, and the compensation GPA for the attempt at the stage is 2.00 or greater, E grades are considered compensated, and a final grade of E(C) is awarded. The grade of E(C) carries a grade point of 1.6.

5.12 A module can be designated as not passable by compensation, upon recommendation of the Programme Board and subject to the approval of the Academic Council Executive Committee. There should be sound educational reasons or verified accreditation requirements for such
    designation.

5.13 When pre-requisites are specified, a pass by compensation will be acceptable, so that the minimum grade to satisfy the requirement is E(C).

http://www.ucd.ie/advisers/advisers_ogrady.html
    Aisling O'Grady's page.

Advertisement