Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roman Numerals???

Options
  • 24-06-2008 9:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭

Hi,

Ive been playing with the idea of getting Roamn Numerals done,I want to have them done down my back?? Is it ok to have them going downwards?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

Why wouldn't it be? o.0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭KhuntChops

ok your going to laugh...Someone told me before they dont work out the same cause there going down lol God I feel stupid now

I really don't get why they wouldn't?

I
    II
    III
    IV
    V
    VI
    VII
    VIII
    IX
    X

You could centre them? Surely it doesn't matter? o.0

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

but what about

V
    I
    I

for 8?

i think that's what OP might mean?

Ahh, I get ya now. That's 7 btw :p

• Advertisement

Thats exactly what I meant,thank you so much Crumble Froo,u just saved me from looki8ng a complete prat! I must work on explaining myself better!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

but what about

V
    I
    I

for 8?

i think that's what OP might mean?

That to me would read 5 1 1, not 7

Hmm its very mixed... I really want to have it done ut want to make sure firstly that its ok for the to be going down (was planning on getting it straight down my spin and I dont want the numerals to big and bulky Im after a more softer and thinner type)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

c - 13 wrote: »
    That to me would read 5 1 1, not 7

Indeed, you're stuck with an awkward conundrum here, in that if you get them stacked individually they will not have the same meaning as intended to viewers, but if you rotate the numbers then they may not appear as you would like them too.
    So the question is how much does how other folks would read them matter to you and would you settle for the entire number being rotated by 90 degrees??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

Another option may be to consider if the number is in the form of a birth date for example

Day
    Month
    Year

IV
    VII
    LXXXVI

That reads

But at the end of the day if you want the numerals going down the way its your call. Its your tattoo for you so who cares what others think really ? Just if its in a prominent position that can be seen you'll probably get a lot of questions re the layout

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Well, we read from top to bottom, so I'd say top to bottom would read fine, as intended. Or am I just being crazy on this one?

Hmm good question... Im going to say it doesnt matter to me what people think of my tattoo (ie if they like it etc) but I think it could bother me if people were saying to me,youve got that done wrong and its on you forever blah blah.. Do you understand were im coming from??

I cant think of hand but does anyone else have any other ideas (I want to have it down my spin and its a born pasted away type thing

Yeah I dont mind the sound of that one c-13.

KhuntChops wrote: »
    Hmm good question... Im going to say it doesnt matter to me what people think of my tattoo (ie if they like it etc) but I think it could bother me if people were saying to me,youve got that done wrong and its on you forever blah blah.. Do you understand were im coming from??
    Fair enough, though it does leave me thinking you must plan on wearing a lot of backless tops and dresses. ;)
    KhuntChops wrote: »
    I cant think of hand but does anyone else have any other ideas (I want to have it down my spin and its a born pasted away type thing
    I think perhaps then rotating it might be the way to go:

II XI LXXXVI - XXIII VI LLIV

Put your ear on your shoulder and think how you'd feel about it (obviously not those exact numerals though! :)) running down your spine.

farohar wrote: »
    Fair enough, though it does leave me thinking you must plan on wearing a lot of backless tops and dresses. ;)

I think perhaps then rotating it might be the way to go:

II XI LXXXVI - XXIII VI LLIV

Put your ear on your shoulder and think how you'd feel about it (obviously not those exact numerals though! :)) running down your spine.

Haha perhaps...perhaps not ;). When I get it done obviously I will want to show my friends,family so it may mean alot of "pulling up tops" but certainly not backless ones. Altho I may decided to walk around in a bikini top for all to see and marvel lol

*puts ear to shoulder..wow you can work magic*

Thats the way I thought of having it done firstly,seems ok once you leave a little space between them :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

I personally think rotating the numerals 90 degrees is the way forward, so that you've to tilt your head sideways to read it kinda way...

The likes of:

V
    I
    I

would also read to me as 5,1,1.

So rotated sideways, it'd be more like:

-
    -
    >

(the - are meant to be the sideways I)

People can say "It's what it means to you" till their blue in the face, but that doesn't stand up.
    Just look at miss "Drug'ail Saor" if you want proof of that.

People can say "It's what it means to you" till their blue in the face, but that doesn't stand up.
    Just look at miss "Drug'ail Saor" if you want proof of that.

Well remember a large part of what makes her so comical is her having been adament that it was correct when people were telling her otherwise, i.e. that she's a gobsh*te. In this instance KhuntChops knows how it would read already, so it will genuinely be out of personal choice and not personal idiocy.

Hmm I think I may go with getting it down my spin and before hand ask the tattoist what he/she thinks,tis a tuffy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

op could you post the number that you want done,then people will have a better idea of how i would look and be interpreted.

• Advertisement

op could you post the number that you want done,then people will have a better idea of how i would look and be interpreted.

No probelm well its 22/4/1948-20/9/2006 which turns into

*put ear to shoulder and look*

XXII-IV-MCMXLVII
    XX-IX-MMVI

I dont no where im gonna fit all this lol

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Lizheen

Hi there, need some help if someone doesn't mind: what year was this - MDCCLXIX - in normal form? Ty

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Google is your friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭blackbird98

Lizheen wrote: »
    Hi there, need some help if someone doesn't mind: what year was this - MDCCLXIX - in normal form? Ty

as last poster said 1769

M = 1000
    D = 500
    C = 100
    C = 100
    L = 50
    X = 10
    IX = 9

Year 1769

Lizheen wrote: »

*wonders if this means Lizheen got that as a tattoo and didn't know what it meant*:p

Advertisement