Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cervical biopsy

Options
  • 24-06-2008 9:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭

Not the catchiest of titles, I grant you! I have to get a biopsy done of my cervix next week, only found out today. The secretary in hospital didn't know much and no nurse or consultant to talk to. She mentioned in passing that I wouldn't be able to have sex or exercise for the next 6 weeks afterwards. Is this true - I 've had a small biopsy done before but the bleeding was gone after a few days. This involves a local anesthatic though. Now the aftermath is bothering me more than the operation. I've a big family wedding coming up and at the gym every day trying to loose that last stone so no exercise will really set me back and be a nightmare, plus 6 weeks without sex! (I'm in a relationship btw)

Please tell me this is just the maximum that they suggest and in reality it's a lot less time. Or any other helpful tips.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

Did they say there was anything different about this biopsy, as opposed to the first biopsy? I've had one as well & I think I went to the gym the next day. Didn't feel like having sex for a few days but that was about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

taconnol wrote: »
    Did they say there was anything different about this biopsy, as opposed to the first biopsy? I've had one as well & I think I went to the gym the next day. Didn't feel like having sex for a few days but that was about it.

THe first one was taking a tiny sample. Pinched a little but not sore at all. This though is a local anesthatic, they take a much bigger area. Think it's called Letz treatment (They use a heated coil to synch (sp) the area). They will then use these cells to determine for definite if you've cervical cancer and I think it's also one of the steps in getting rid of it as well as they get rid of all the 'bad' cells.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Just a reminder that this is not a medical forum, so please don't take medical advise from anybody over your doctor.

WindSock wrote: »
    Just a reminder that this is not a medical forum, so please don't take medical advise from anybody over your doctor.

Thanks, just looking for what to expect afterwards. My doctor is sick :) and the hospital aren't returning my calls. Forewarned and forearmed and all that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Crazy Catlady

Hi there
    I've had the LEETZ procedure done in January of this year. The procedure itself is over within minutes, your given a local anesthetic and out in about 20 minutes.
    They did advise me not to bath, swim or use tampons or have sex for 6 weeks. Basically nothing is to be put inside. This is to allow the area to heal and prevent infection.
    Sorry, I know its not what you wanted to hear! But hope it helps none the less.

• Advertisement

Thanks, I've resigned myself to that timeline now. Oh well, good excuse not to go to the gym I suppose!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

I know nothing about it, but I just wanted to wish you the best of luck.

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

hey OP. .

Apparant risks of a cervical biopsy:

''
    Risks
    There may be some bleeding after the biopsy for up to a week. Avoid sexual intercourse, douching, or using tampons for a week to allow the cervix to heal. If bleeding is unusually heavy or lasts for longer than 2 weeks, or if you notice any signs of infection (fever, foul odor, or discharge), notify your health care provider

On another note, you should ring the main switchboard of your hospital, and ask for a member of the Gynaecology team and insist on speaking to a doctor.

best of luck with it!! :D

ChewChew wrote: »
    hey OP. .

Apparant risks of a cervical biopsy:

''
    Risks
    There may be some bleeding after the biopsy for up to a week. Avoid sexual intercourse, douching, or using tampons for a week to allow the cervix to heal. If bleeding is unusually heavy or lasts for longer than 2 weeks, or if you notice any signs of infection (fever, foul odor, or discharge), notify your health care provider

On another note, you should ring the main switchboard of your hospital, and ask for a member of the Gynaecology team and insist on speaking to a doctor.

best of luck with it!! :D

Thanks for that quote. It's actually the Lletz procedure I'm getting done which is the next step up from the biopsy and a lot more intensive. I titled the thread a bit wrong but didn't know exactly what I was getting done till i finally got to talk to someone yesterday. It's incredibly difficult to get in touch with the hospital - they only take public patients on a tuesday, the rest of the time it's private patients and they never seem to answer the phone. Often I'll get an appointment on a thursday in the post for the following tuesday and if i can't get time off work I can't change it till the actual day which means they have a cancellation they can't fill and they give out to me for not letting them know in time. I'd love to just go in there for the day and sort it all out.

Advertisement