Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Seat Ibiza 2005 - Oil Consumption

Options
  • 24-06-2008 10:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭

Morning all,

Question for you all, I have a Seat Ibiza 1.4 2005. I topped the oil up in February of this year, but driving home y'day evening, the oil indicator began alerting. I thought to myself I could be hardly out of oil, so I stopped in my nearest petrol station to check, the dip stick when it checked came out was bone dry. So then I spent the next 45 mins going from petrol station to petrol station trying to pick the right oil needed, I went to 6 petrol stations and none of them had it. So anyways decided best pull in to the nearest garage, and the lads inside topped it up.

Firstly its due its service , which I am going to get done this week, but should my car have used all the oil up between now and february?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

How far have you driven since February? What mileage is on the car? Has it been properly looked after? Was it the red oil pressure light that came on, or just a low oil indicator? From what i've heard, the VAG 1.4 engine in your car isn't the toughest - I think it suffers from bore wear, which would cause it to burn oil. Bear in mind, though, that i'm not a mechanic.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

Hey Anan,

I have driven about a 1000 miles roughly give or take, its defo proper looked after.

The following light kept coming on :

maintOilLight.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

No thats not normal at all. Keep a close eye on it and take it to a mechanic to have a look. I know you may not have had much of a choice but driving around with the oil light on is a definate no no. Can cause serious damage to the big end bearings etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

depends on your milage.... mate of mine had 2 ibeza's both of them burnt up allthe oil before the service was due ( 7-8k )

you have to be careful though... early detection of problems like this is vital...

Advertisement