Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Why aren't Garda cars all diesel??

Options
  • 24-06-2008 10:07am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭

Why dont the gardai drive diesel cars if its so economical. They drive for 8 hours of a shift..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,903 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Because diesel is not necessarily any more economical at the moment; and in certain cases, it would be absolutely futile using diesel - some of the Garda cars are designed for high speed pursuits which the diesels on the general market would not be suitable for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭legalbird12

MYOB wrote: »
    Because diesel is not necessarily any more economical at the moment; and in certain cases, it would be absolutely futile using diesel - some of the Garda cars are designed for high speed pursuits which the diesels on the general market would not be suitable for.

Very few of the Garda cars are designed for high speed persuits. Most fo the cars are 1.8 petrol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Prius. The speed they drive about, milk-float tech should be enough.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

The standard uk patrol car is the 1.7dti Astra.

Personally I think that there is not much to be gained due to the way the guards drive anyway i.e. they're hardly economical drivers. Also they don't give a monkeys about how much it costs, shown by the fact that they used to fill up in the most expensive petrol station (the one on the keys) in Ireland at the time.

Also diesels are more complex than the equivalent petrol (turbo's etc) and generally have lower service intervals.

mike65 wrote: »
    Prius. The speed they drive about, milk-float tech should be enough.

Mike.

Thats what I was thinking. This country reducing emissions should start with the Guards getting little mopeds andHybrid cars. Fair enough a fast car for major roads, give them a Golf GTI or something along those lines.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Very few of the Garda cars are designed for high speed persuits. Most fo the cars are 1.8 petrol.

I don't know I have often wondered about the standard patrol cars.

I do not condone the actions of anyone in the following story, they were stupid, dangerous and should carry heavy penalties.

My younger brother was attacked by a group of youths outside a local petrol station. Someone working in the shop/petrol station rang my house and my youngest brother drove down to the petrol station.

The 8 youths jumped into 2 cars just before my brother arrived, he chased them out the road (I know, I know) he was doing 130mph. In the meantime the shop had rang the gardai, they caught up to and passed my brother out. They then passed the two cars full of youths and pulled everyone in.

It was a standard squad. My brother was very, very surprised at how easily it overtook him for a normal squad car.

Again my brother was a moron.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,903 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Ferris wrote: »
    Also they don't give a monkeys about how much it costs, shown by the fact that they used to fill up in the most expensive petrol station (the one on the keys) in Ireland at the time.

The Guards used a fleet fuel card to fill up there - as did I. Set national price, which was at the time up to 60c lower than the price the sign was showing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Also they don't give a monkeys about how much it costs, shown by the fact that they used to fill up in the most expensive petrol station (the one on the keys) in Ireland at the time.
    Ah boards.ie. Where everyone assumes you are in Dublin :pac:
    I assume you are referred to the station on the south quays in Dublin. Or is it somewhere else?

It's no longer the most expensive and hasn't been for a number of weeks.
    The gardai, HSE, and whoever else used it did not pay the advertised price. They have a contract and fuel card and pay far, far less then the retail price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Quays which quays is this? ;)

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

The Traffic unit in our division has an Opel Vectra DTI and its actually faster 0-100 mph than the 2.0 petrol Mondeos, they seem very impressed with it TBH. I much prefer the unmarked 3 series BMW personally

• Advertisement

There are a few unmarked 5-Series BMWs floating around, dotn know if they are petrol or diesel though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

Fair enough, still reakon that they drive in an uneconomical manner - although granted that sometimes they are required to.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭T J Hooker

There are a few unmarked 5-Series BMWs floating around, dotn know if they are petrol or diesel though.

I think it was in the paper when they received them, I stand to be corrected but I think it was a combination of petrol(530i) and diesel(530d).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

Fair enough, still reakon that they drive in an uneconomical manner - although granted that sometimes they are required to.

Its fun too. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

The Traffic unit in our division has an Opel Vectra DTI and its actually faster 0-100 mph than the 2.0 petrol Mondeos, they seem very impressed with it TBH. I much prefer the unmarked 3 series BMW personally

That Vectra will end up on a ditch soon enough. The power is all well and good but when the road turns, the car needs to be able to turn too. I bet the slower mondeos would destroy it on a cross country run, straight line speed alone is useless.

Advertisement