Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Article in the Star

• 24-06-2008 10:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭

Did anyone see the article in the Star yesterday about "Biker road deaths" & "Wearing appropriate gear in the summer". They were saying that t-shirts & jeans are way too common on bikers during summer months and this causes serious injuries.

I sadly in the summer edge towards the jeans and fleece jacket aswell but this is just because I work in an office. I dont want to be going into work with leathers/Bike pants and getting changed every morning.

Is anyone else in this situation, and what do they wear to work everyday??

Cheers:cool:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

[sarcasm] I wear a thong , some flip flops and a string vest ;)

Protection is for sissy's :p [/sarcasm]

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭paulieeye

finto wrote: »
    I dont want to be going into work with leathers/Bike pants and getting changed every morning.
    Cheers:cool:

I work in an office and change everyday, takes about 20sec to change outta the gear...maybe 30 if theres a knot in my lace!

I'd gladly spend the few seconds doing this...specially as its pissing rain all the time.

The only draw back is its alot harder to sneak into work in the full batsuit when ur late. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

Is it summer?

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭finto

Is it summer?

Doesnt look like it today anyway...

Ive seen a good few bike injuries online/telly and Id deffo want to wear the right gear, But is it really practical with the stuff they have out there. The gear should be alot lighter for the summer..

I wear the same gear all year around. If I get warm I just ride faster! :p

I always wear my Oxtar boots, Richa jacket & gloves and, of course, my helmet! I don't wear armoured trousers as I find them impractical (although if I do have an accident I know I'll regret not having a pair...). Had one (small) accident and my gear did the job! Worth wearing the right stull at all times! ;)

• Advertisement

I got some strange looks at the weekend on the way home from the girlfriends house. It was 35 degrees and I was wearing full gear. Every other biker I came across was wearing t-shirts , open face helmets and some crappy shoes etc.

I was feckin baked when I got home but I did get home in one piece. The piece of mind of knowing you're safer is worth the hassle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭colm_c

There is some very light summer gear if you're too warm, I've got a jacket thats got body armour in it but it's full of vents, fells like you're wearing a t-shirt and not a jacket.

Similarly I've got summer gloves and summer boots.

Riding in the city I generally wear jeans in the summer time (for the same reasons as steffano), but any long spins I've got summer pants too, with vents.

colm_c wrote: »
    There is some very light summer gear if you're too warm, I've got a jacket thats got body armour in it but it's full of vents, fells like you're wearing a t-shirt and not a jacket.
    Richa make a great summer jacket actually! I know Subway (from this forum) bought one a couple of years back and it looked perfect for hot weather!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

so its utterly useless here then? :)

madrab wrote: »
    so its utterly useless here then? :)
    I'm sure you'd get to wear it once or twice a year if you're lucky! :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Always dress for a crash! You never know when a crash might happen. Nuff said!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭pirate reject

Try the Hein Gericke catalogue or web site http://www.hein-gericke.co.uk/1/

They have a great range of light weight jackets, trousars, and summer gloves. I have seen what amounts to a mesh shirt with full armour, which could possibly be worn under a fleece or lighter jacket. You could also look at Dragon Jeans, which look like normal denim jeans but are woven with kevlar for protection against abrasion.

All that combined with an open face or flip up lid means that theres really no excuse for not being protected even in hot weather.

I wore my hein gericke lightweight summer trousers this morning and still got f*cking baked.

All you lads complaining about the crappy Irish weather, try driving to work in the morning when its in the high 20's :(

Not pleasant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

I wear a 2 peace leather suit, SIDI Megagoretex boots, leather summer gloves (will use them most of the time unless its freezing out) and a Arai RX7. I always have a backpack on, its got a back protector built in and has worked once in the past. But I do have one for track days. ATGATT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

Oh and also just to point out, road deaths on bikes are down and the amount of bikes are up the past year or so

PDF on motorcycle crashes from 97' to 06'

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭finto

Well ive decided to got with a pair of daggin Jeans, with kevlar and maybe knee protectors for the commute to the office. (Jeans are allowed) & a richa Airflow jacket, looks well class. Im down a few underd yoyos, but what the hell!!!

I actually have the proper bike gear, but find it very heavey and restrictive, so ill use this for long trips at the weekend

Cheers all

Fint

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 906 ✭✭✭FuzzyWuzzyWazza

I seen a guy hop off his bike las week, in a pair of sandles!!:eek: Maybe they where special reinforced ones:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Kazujo

A wise man once said "It's easier to have a shower than a skin graft" better off being hot and protected than cool and exposed.

Advertisement