Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

upgrade or new system?

Options
  • 24-06-2008 10:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭

i have a dell dimension 9200 with a core2duo e6400 and 2 *512mb of dual channel 533mhz ddr2 ram .i need to upgrade for voice recognition and video conversion work.should i consider changing the ram if so what should i get or is there a much bigger improvement with the new quad core chips.i dont have the motherboard details but i will get them shortly and i will be buying from dell thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭davelerave

i cant get much info on the motherboard but if i decide to upgrade the ram should i replace or add and how much memory.whats the best configuration thanks .will one of these suit http://www.komplett.ie/k/kl.aspx?bn=10524

• Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭blackgold>>

How many slots has your computer to take ram? 2 or 4 ?
    What program will you be using to do your voice recognition and video conversion work?#

The ram you picked (DDR2 PC4200) is correct.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭davelerave

thanks i got 4 slots dell said it'll take 4gb max. so i guess i can go with 4 new 1gb sticks or just add 2 extra 1gb sticks.if i fit a matched pair will it run dual channel.i'm using dns 9.5(dragon naturally speaking) a real memory hogger .haven't settled on video software yet.cant be bothered upgrading the pc as the bluetooth mics are big money for the dns.

Advertisement