Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Walnut PVC Fascia and soffit

Options
  • 24-06-2008 11:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭

Hi All,
    I hope someone here will be able to help. I have Walnut PVC windows on my house and want to get PVC Fascia and soffit to match the windows. My only problem is that I can't find anywhere that does Walnut PVC fascia and soffit up here in Donegal. Anyone know where I can get walnut PVC fascia and soffit.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,262 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

See, the problem is, walnut is simply a name applied my the window company.
    Their isn't actually such a thing as Walnut PVC, it just sounds better than dark brown. So even if you found a manufacturer of "Walnut" fascias, it may not be the same colour as the windows.
    Are you familar with RAL colours?
    Its a colour space of over 1900 colours, many PVC manufacturers can fabricate in most of the colours. You may have to do a bit of checking, but you should get a close match.

you could also simply use a walnut fascia

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

Walnut windows in real walnut would be a challange!
    Walnut soffitt and fascia would cost lots ( might cost an arm and a leg - never seen walnut fascia)

Walnut is great for furniture, internal floors etc. Its an expensive wood. I'm not sure how suitable it is to exterior use.

You could have Douglas Fir timber soffitt and fascia, painted to match exact tone of windows. This timber is quite hardwearing, even if left untreated. Maybe Cedar fascia would work?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 patsycopper

just wondering where in donegal are you.... puttin in new windows and was lookin at the walnut but i am too afraid to go with it as it looks quite dark... i am from donegal myself and would be great if i could swing by your house to have a look...

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭frag4

sent you a pm

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭windyboy

Hi,

I am building an ICF house in north west and my carpenter suggested using Douglas Fir or Cedar Fascia 7"x1.5". We are doing a traditional flush eave detail.

Has anyone out there have any experience with using this timber for Fascia. I would love to see how it looks after some years, is it better to paint or leave natural?

Any advice on where to source Cedar or Douglas Fir Fascia around north west?

Thanks,
    Windyboy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 pham

hi - yes a fascia & soffitt can be fitted in walnut - however the gutters & downpipes would be either dark brown or black . if you like i can get you more info on this as we fit these

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭GoldenGreen

pham wrote: »
    hi - yes a fascia & soffitt can be fitted in walnut - however the gutters & downpipes would be either dark brown or black . if you like i can get you more info on this as we fit these

Thanks for the reply, but fascia and soffitt has been fitted now over a year ago, had to go with just black in the end up, turned out fine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Crab

windyboy wrote: »
    Hi,

I am building an ICF house in north west and my carpenter suggested using Douglas Fir or Cedar Fascia 7"x1.5". We are doing a traditional flush eave detail.

Has anyone out there have any experience with using this timber for Fascia. I would love to see how it looks after some years, is it better to paint or leave natural?

Any advice on where to source Cedar or Douglas Fir Fascia around north west?

Thanks,
    Windyboy

Hi Windboy, I am considering cedar fascia or Teak, how did you get on with yours did you go with cedar?

Another question can you paint cedar ?

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭windyboy

Hi,

We ended up not putting up any timber facsia. To avoid any maintenance as its a 2 storey house, we went with a canted rendered edge which is a traditional detail. We screwed on ICF sheets over the timber rafter ends to continue the wall to the underside of the slate as a flush eave. The render company then cut a polystrene aeroboard sheet 25mm thick and bed that across the top with base coat and then finish coat (Sto) to form the canted edge detail.

The carpenter nailed 9x2's in between and flush with the rafter ends so that we have a fixing point for the gutters. The gutter men are coming monday, they got 140mm stainless screws for the job.

Regards,

Windyboy

Advertisement