Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vista: User Account Control

• 24-06-2008 11:43am
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So, i'm using Vista for the first time, and its driving me mad (unsurprisingly). I keep getting prompts asking me for permission to do pretty much anything. I've googled it, and there are ways of turning UAC off, but it also says that it can make my computer quite vulnerable.

So, has anyone else turned this feature off? And if so, any problems?

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 12,379 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

You can turn it off!! YAY! Cant just download and run something anymore can ya! Click about 5 different continue buttons to run anything.

I too would be interested in this!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shiny

run or search - msconfig
    tools
    scroll down to "Disable UAC"
    Click on it, then click on launch.
    A command prompt will come up.
    Then restart.

Its the first thing I do when I install Vista.
    I have never had and never will have any problems
    after disabling UAC, it is the most annoying thing I have
    ever seen created in software.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Redisle

I turned if off.. was the first thing I did. Tbh it makes your computer vulnerable if you are stupid enough to run unknown exe's in the first place.. Disable it and just be careful what you run/install and you should be grand.
    Just hit start, type msconfig, go to tools tab, scroll down to disable UAC, click it and press launch. Restart and your done!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Kiith wrote: »
    but it also says that it can make my computer quite vulnerable.

If you leave your PC outdoors or on the pavement, it will be quite vulnerable, or if you don't know wht you're doing it might be vulnerable.

Otherwise it's just a PITA, and a waste of space. No problems whatsoever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

tweakUAC.

Lets you run UAC in silent mode. All teh protection without the annoying popups.

Better than turning it off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

I wouldn't turn off a security feature.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shiny

Nope, not one problem and I have been using Vista for nearly a year
    and a half at this stage.

All you have to do is when you are running an exe file, just give it a
    quick scan with AVG and you will be fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,961 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

At the expense of a couple clicks I prefer the added security measure. I like knowing whats trying to run with administrator priveledges.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

kaimera wrote: »
    tweakUAC.

Lets you run UAC in silent mode. All teh protection without the annoying popups.

Better than turning it off.

I suppose I'd better google it so....... a link would have been handy tho'.

Valentia wrote: »
    I suppose you better.

In case you still haven't

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

So, i'm using Vista for the first time, and its driving me mad (unsurprisingly). I keep getting prompts asking me for permission to do pretty much anything. I've googled it, and there are ways of turning UAC off, but it also says that it can make my computer quite vulnerable.

Been off on all my vista pc's its annoying as hell, and only there for the noobs who dont know what their doing. If your anyway compitant turn it off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Valentia wrote: »
    And cormie wonders why there is a drop off in replies...

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Fr0g

I have seen vista PCs full of malware and dodgy "anti-virus" programs installed with the UAC feature ON. Users who do not realise what they are doing simly see the "continue" button and click through without reading the message or understanding the implications. A mostly useless feature IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

i turned it off on someone's computer and since then, every 4 seconds or so a bubble pops up over the system tray asking him to turn it back on. is there any way to stop that?

Fr0g wrote: »
    I have seen vista PCs full of malware and dodgy "anti-virus" programs installed with the UAC feature ON. Users who do not realise what they are doing simly see the "continue" button and click through without reading the message or understanding the implications. A mostly useless feature IMO.

exactly. anyone who understands the implications of pressing the button doesn't need it to warn them because they already made the decision to run it by running it in the first place and anyone who doesn't understand the implications just clicks continue anyway

of course people could use the mantra of the anti-lisbonites: "if you don't know, vote no", and just never running any exes on their computer :D

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    i turned it off on someone's computer and since then, every 4 seconds or so a bubble pops up over the system tray asking him to turn it back on. is there any way to stop that?
    should be an option in the security centre to stop displaying warning or summet to that effect iirc.

Check when I get back from work Commander V.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

See attached pic how to disable security centres notifications, security center can be launched by typing security center in the start menu

Nick

yoyo wrote: »
    See attached pic how to disable security centres notifications, security center can be launched by typing security center in the start menu

Nick
    foiled! -.-

kaimera wrote: »
    should be an option in the security centre to stop displaying warning or summet to that effect iirc.

Check when I get back from work Commander V.

i'm not a commander anymore. i retired :pac:

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    i'm not a commander anymore. i retired :pac:
    Old nicks ftw :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

I turned this off straight away, so forking annoying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,961 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I had a moment of weakness the other day for no particular reason: just fed up of the start-up groan in vista (you'll get that with a laptop anyway) and I wondered Do I Really Need all this interface Beauty?

Then I went and tried to work on my Cousin's XP Machine, running the 'classic' theme.

I just cant go back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭redhat_newbie

Hi All,

Facing this problem:

1) UAC is turned off
    2) As a Standard user, when I right click on an application and hit " Run as Administrator" A pop up window pop up and say " You dont have sufficient privileges "
    3) Initially when the UAC was turned ON, I used to get a prompt where in I can enter the "Admin Password" and execute the application.

Is there a way around to solve this with UAC turned off ?

Thank you

Fr0g wrote: »
    Exactly. No software publisher can account for careless users.

I have UAC turned off but for a different reason. You can't drag and drop from a standard user process to an elevated one. Try it out, make a text file and put it on your desktop. Now run Notepad as admin and try to drop the file onto it - it doesn't open.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,210 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Overheal wrote: »
    I had a moment of weakness the other day for no particular reason: just fed up of the start-up groan in vista (you'll get that with a laptop anyway) and I wondered Do I Really Need all this interface Beauty?

Then I went and tried to work on my Cousin's XP Machine, running the 'classic' theme.

I just cant go back.
    I run windows classic theme on vista too. Solid as a rock and as fast as windows xp on classic theme on the same machine. (I have both on a dual boot)

Classic theme ftw :pac:

jmccrohan wrote: »
    I run windows classic theme on vista too. Solid as a rock and as fast as windows xp on classic theme on the same machine. (I have both on a dual boot)

Classic theme ftw :pac:

I have zero qualms about using it on XP but I think it looks awful on Vista because of the way they engineered the interface. In XP you can even make it look like Windows 95 if you like but not in Vista - if I could I probably would - at least it would look somewhat familiar to me. Using Vista feels to me like I'm using a completely different system... *cough* OS X *cough*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Mac daddy

Karsini wrote: »
    I have zero qualms about using it on XP but I think it looks awful on Vista because of the way they engineered the interface.

using the classic interface reduces the amount of memory aero hogs by roughly 170Mb... it is worth it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,210 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Mac daddy wrote: »
    using the classic interface reduces the amount of memory aero hogs by roughly 170Mb... it is worth it.
    Running Windows Vista Business, Classic Theme, Firefox 3 (just this tab open), Windows Mail, Foobar2000 (with the full 8~9 MB song currently playing cached to ram) and Nokia PC Suite. Physical Memory usage 38% of 2GB.

Where is all this "Vista takes 1GB just to load" BS coming from?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭-annex-

Out of peoples arses. I've 1gig RAM running 45 total processes, firefox the biggest (3 tabs, 70megs), full Aero effects, and only 65% total RAM in use. It's not as quick as XP no, but it's fine for me.

• Advertisement

Not really true for 32-bit, more like 500MB. But for 64-bit you're talking about ~800MB.

Advertisement