Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

looking for nice little PA (typing not necessary)

Options
  • 24-06-2008 12:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭

Looking for a PA for a mate who wants to put on the odd "acoustic" gig in his Cafe. Pair of decent speakers on tripods, maybe another down the back of the shop at a low volume and some way to hook it up to a pair of quieter speakers outside maybe.
    Desk, leads mic's and stands and a few di boxes.

It doesn't need to be really loud just really clean sounding. EV, Dynachord, JBL maybe? I dunno who makes nice PA gear like this?

So if anybody can point me in the direction of a decent 2nd hand rig or deal on a new one I'd be much obliged.

Around €1,500 would be nice. The quote for a new rig comes to about €5,700 but I told him not to spend that until he knows the gig is going to pull the extra punters in...

I'm looking for a few ideas here so all welcome to put in their tuppence!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

EV ZX1 8" (nice small corporate speakers)
    EV ZX3 12" (requires 600-1200w of amp power)
    EV ZX5 15" (requires 600-1200w of amp power)
    JBL MRX512M 12" (requires 400-800w of amp power)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭sei046

I love stage 300s

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

I'm using the MRX512's at the moment. Great top, got good bass response from it. Needs the correct amp to get going but i'd +1 them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

Ok So if I was going for a mixer amp, what should I be looking at?

You talking about a Powered Desk? If so, Dynacord Powermate are by far the industry standard...if powered desks float your particular boat. Advantages over a mixer + separate amp combo? Not many tbh...

• Advertisement

It's probably going to be taken out and put away each time. Eventually he might go for an install. A little venice would be perfect for that.
    What's the eq on the power mate like the graphic and the channel eq? is it useable?

I used a few different powermates. VERY easy to use but I was never 100% on the eq tbh. seemed harmless enough

Harmless works for me.
    How do Bose 802's rate these days?

I used the powermates eq no bother for a long time. There is nothing WRONG with it. Just never found it up to the likes of the allen and heaths. Different leagues though really i suppose!

studiorat wrote: »
    How do Bose 802's rate these days?
    Yeesh. I wouldn't personally, but that's partly due to a mental block I have for all things Bose.

Powermates are fantastic units, no doubt. On board EQ is fine, can be bypassed with the press of a switch too.

• Advertisement
Advertisement