Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone else hate being an Architectural Tecnician?

Options
  • 24-06-2008 12:36pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 400 ✭✭

Well? I for one despise the area of work Im in! If only I could have gone back to the first day of college in DIT and slap my young former self some sense!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

no

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭topcatcbr

Its never too late to go back and put things right.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,644 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

no.

what area of work are you in ruskin?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭No6

Its not what I do its that I have to do it at all!!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

No.

Is it too late to do something you really want to?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

Sometimes I love it, sometimes I hate it.

God, I used to hate explaining what an Arch. Tech was, on the dance-floor!
    "You're a whaa? ya doo whattt? Sort of an Architect are ya?"
    Yeah! whatever.....

I like I have to do it all, sometimes I only feel like designing or sketching, sometimes its nice to draw while watching tv of listening to music and its great on a sunny day to head out to do some levels or site inspections.:)

I only got into this for the variety! I get bored so easily....
    Oh! and its a great feeling to see a nice structure, to feel proud and say to yourself "I did that!":D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Slig

Well I think it stems from the fact that nobody(even architects) actually know what we do.
    I have been working as an Architectural Technician for about 4 years and been in 3 jobs
    1) Engineers office- all I did was draw up the engineers house designs:confused: (lasted a year)
    2) Big architectural practice - sat at a desk and drew and designed all day every day (lasted 6 months)
    3) small architectural office - a little bit of everything, from surveying to detailing to designing, its the variety that keeps me sane.

Saying that if I won the lotto tomorrow..........
    start - control panel - add or remove programmes - Autocad - remove completely:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 379 ✭✭pseudo-tech

How can you hate being an Architectural Technician? If you do you, work in a large practice and have been pigeon holed or work for a local authority where you may have left your brain at the door.

It is the most fascinating job that provides one with enormous opportunities and variety. You get to meet people from many social backgrounds and influence your environment.

Unfortunately the way things currently stand, this is being eroded away with the implementation of the building control bill, the registration of title etc. etc.

If it restricts me from what I have been doing for the last decade + I will hang up my boots like No 6. I might become a pilot to match the freedom or a doctor to massage my ego (its currently quicker than becoming an Architect if you were to return to college) or maybe a Solicitor where you can sit the FE1 once you have a degree in any subject. Is it me or is Architecture the ultimate in elitsm???????

3 canabals were temping in a large architectural practice

They would "have" a staff member for lunch each day .

The elder canabal said one day " careful from now on - they are getting suspicious around here . Only pick staff they won't notice missing "

Few days later on the way to the dole office the elder says " I said only staff they won't notice missing - but OH NO ! you two HAD to eat a technician"

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

RKQ wrote: »
    God, I used to hate explaining what an Arch. Tech was, on the dance-floor!
    Damn.

I used to try to hide my erection. :D

• Advertisement

I'm just not allowed dance anymore!!! My wife got the HSA to close me down as I was a particular risk!! I love what I do I just hate chasing people for money, I love the smell of a defeated bambozled planner in the morning, I love getting good designs through planning and then getting them built and leaving happy clients behind me who know they got a good service, got what they wanted (within reason ) in budget (also within reason) but what I hate most at the moment is this uncertainess, will the building control bill be used by some parties as a big stick to drive us from the certifying end of the market, (we will still be doing the planning work) will we have to try to cross over to the dark side to maintain our livelyhoods (we're very very quite on that score so far here!!) or is it all just a house of cards that is coming crashing down..." think I'll pack it in and buy a pick up, take it down to LA!!!" (or Sydney)

• Registered Users Posts: 46,127 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Personally I dont mind the job at all. I work for myself so I do as much or as little as I want to. There are very few professions out there that offer such a wide variety of tasks. Its great to be inside on a wet day and even better being out and about in the good weather not to mention the various types of characters that are encountered.

It can be a bit of a bummer alright trying to get the money in and I find the work is getting very demanding in recent times with so many changes in both the planning and building regs.

All in all I wouldn't consider changing now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭archtech

I really enjoy the job, have worked in the same practice for the last 14 years. It is an engineering practice by name, but in reality it is an practice of architectural technologists, with an engineer managing it at this stage, we do no engineering work whatsoever at this stage.

For me it is very much varied, designing houses today (well that's yesterdays work) industrial buildings, fire certs and anything else that goes.

I was often been asked why I don't work for myself, the simple reason is, I'm not a business man: no good at chasing money or clients and would hate that element of a business and would most definitely not survive. Horses for courses as they say.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

I would be interested to know how many people from your class are still working as technicians?

I qualified in 97 and out of a group of ten of us that I am still in contact with, two are still working as technicians. The rest (myself included) either got into a different industry altogether or went on to do architecture.

and to answer the OP's question, YES!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 400 ✭✭ruskin

I am only out of college a year, and I graduated with first class honours, so its not like im complaining because im poor at the work or dont know my stuff, etc. But ever since I finished, Ive found that this actual job is mind numbing. All I do is sit at a desk all day, every day, drawing, having little to no personal input on the stuf im drawing. Its really soul destroying. I never thought in college that the work could be so draining and crushing. Ill have to find a way to escape

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭topcatcbr

ruskin wrote: »
    I am only out of college a year, and I graduated with first class honours, so its not like im complaining because im poor at the work or dont know my stuff, etc. But ever since I finished, Ive found that this actual job is mind numbing. All I do is sit at a desk all day, every day, drawing, having little to no personal input on the stuf im drawing. Its really soul destroying. I never thought in college that the work could be so draining and crushing. Ill have to find a way to escape

If you really hate it then try something else. If you know what you would like to do then go and do it. If not stick with what you are doing and wait until you have a broader knollage of the workplace then see how you feel.

I was a carpenter for 10 years before becoming an arch tech. I realy enjoy both. There are aspects of both I hate. No job is perfect.

Ruskin sounds like you need a change of job, some practices just want you to draw and produce with no questions other will value your mind and you ability and your input, find a job in one of them and you'll see its not such a bad job, it challanging, hard work but can be great fun and very fulfilling, just wait till you see some major projects that you've been invloved with go up. If you don't want to change jobs push in the job you have for more responsibility, running jobs, taking them from scratch etc etc!!

I found that in my first job(s) aswell, just draw the house and then get it approved or changed by a senior. Believe me it gets better.
    I had to go through several jobs before I found the one I liked and that gave me what I wanted.
    Design was never my strong suit but detailing and construction was (and comong from WIT thats a plus). I am now entrusted to do all site inspections, construction drawings and details for my office and I'm happy.

Our qualification is very universal. There are a lot of avenues we can go through that our architectural or engineering bretheren cannot. However experience is the key!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 46,127 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Slig wrote: »
    However experience is the key!!!!
    +1

• Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Ruskin,
    I think it is not a change you need but a break. I know you are fresh to the job but it may be daunting to think "is this it for the rest of my life", it needn't be. A change of scenery is advised.

Get thee hence to countries afar, experience life, live life, love life. Come back home to us, tell us all about it and see what you want to do then! Please don't give up on the profession just yet.

• Advertisement

Get yourself a one year visa to oz . Chase Sheilas and 'roos around the bush . You must have worked hard for the 1st class honours - well done .

Time to have the crack now :)

sinnerboy wrote: »
    Get yourself a one year visa to oz . Chase Sheilas and 'roos around the bush . You must have worked hard for the 1st class honours - well done .

Time to have the crack now :)

plus oz has great oppertunities for arch techs, I have a mate over there that works exclusively on housing development houses, proper ones, not the 2D ones we have here that only have a front elevation.
    He loves it, said the houses he gets to design are off the wall:D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,972 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

I studied Arch Tech in Bolton St for two years before I decided that I was sick of looking at buidings and everything to do with them. So I dropped out, which turned out to be the worst decision I ever made. After a few years running around in circles I eventually ended up with a job as a draughtsman basically doing drawings and just drawings. Never getting to see where these drawings turn into real things, and for the privelage of this I get paid about half what I would if I stayed in college.

So stand up and be proud you finished college with such a high grade and go and enjoy it. I'll always remember an old saying I heard years ago.

"If you enjoy your job you'll never work a day in your life!"

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭jonnyj

Ruskin, go out and find a job in a different practice before you pack it in. I graduated 2 years ago, found a great job. I do everything, from designing to construction drawings and everything in between.

Find a small practice that does a bit of everything. You will get more experience and much more responsibility.

jonnyj wrote: »
    Ruskin, go out and find a job in a different practice before you pack it in. I graduated 2 years ago, found a great job. I do everything, from designing to construction drawings and everything in between.

Find a small practice that does a bit of everything. You will get more experience and much more responsibility.
    and much more oppertunity to do other aspects of the job, but be careful with smaller practices, pay is usually rubbish and you could end up making the tea every day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Talwin

have to agree with RKQ somedays i just dont feel like doing any work. But wouldnt say i hated it would have spent 3 long years jumping through hoops in college just to find out i hate my profession.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

"If you enjoy your job you'll never work a day in your life!"

Sounds a little bit like what the 3rd year senior lecturers have been telling us :p

EDIT: As for the OP's question. I worked in a small office where i just done drawings and after a year and a bit i was kind of getting bored of doing the same thing daily, i couldnt see a future for me to better myself in this office. I decided to apply to do Arch Tech in DIT and it's the best thing i've ever done. I learned a wealth of information, i met some great people, made some good friends who i hope to see for a long time to come. I worked worked for a big firm in Dublin which was great experience. It's really very frustrating thou not being able to find a job because of this recession having been told how easy it was right from 1st year through to 3rd, hearing of graduates been offered jobs (which is what i had last summer only they didn't have the work to take me, and a few others, back full time). I'm now starting to do some nixers for a guy and hopefully he will take me on full time in the not to distant future.

I can probably safely say i don't/won't hate being a technician.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Garroldy

I started in a small out in a small practice where I progressed to running small projects on-site. It was too small and I stayed too long...not enough scope and it got boring.
    I moved to a large practice where I took any responsibility offered and was running multi discipline design teams for med/large projects. That was great experience and very rewarding.
    In the last few years I've given self employment a bash and its been enjoyable, nots as much fun as the big stuff, but running a business is in itself a whole new skill set.
    Its a job which has offered me lots of variety and I feel I have been rewarded by it as a career.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 keyplan

Message for the Original Poster

I actually like designing and drawing. What I dont like about the job is coming in contact with other technicians. I find them boring and anal, they would rather quote you a paragraph of PART L than make love to a beautiful woman. They make accountants sound like poets. All you have to do is spend an hour on this board to prove it. Little people hiding behind their own little egos with their self-appreciating attitude bordering on the septic.
    My advise to the original poster is - if you dont like the job you definitely wont like the people - so get the flock out and do something else before they suck the life out of you!! One day you will thank me.. believe me

Will probably get kicked off the site now cause I've dented an ego or 2

• Advertisement

keyplan wrote: »
    Message for the Original Poster

I actually like designing and drawing. What I dont like about the job is coming in contact with other technicians. I find them boring and anal, they would rather quote you a paragraph of PART L than make love to a beautiful woman. They make accountants sound like poets. All you have to do is spend an hour on this board to prove it. Little people hiding behind their own little egos with their self-appreciating attitude bordering on the septic.
    My advise to the original poster is - if you dont like the job you definitely wont like the people - so get the flock out and do something else before they suck the life out of you!! One day you will thank me.. believe me

Will probably get kicked off the site now cause I've dented an ego or 2

If I had any say (whick I dont) Id keep you. We need more assholes here:D

Advertisement